Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 04:00 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
Almost certainly the US will pass a national law providing a general amnesty to moot any local, state, or federal legal action -- civil or criminal -- related to COVID. I think the only exceptions will be intentional infection and felony recklessness. We don't sue one another for the effects of disasters like an earthquake or hurricane. People are supposed to insure against disaster, and COVID is essentially a national disaster.

As far as public opinion goes, a prediction...

Once this is behind us, the country will quickly tire of ambulance chasers litigating COVID exposure/ deaths/ malpractice/ workplace grievances.

The US citizenry generally does not abide dwelling on the problems of yesteryear or anything hindering forward movement.
There’s no disaster insurance for this. If a place opens up with no masks, no distancing, etc., it’s essentially inviting the disaster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2020, 04:42 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,705,570 times
I am vehemently against granting liability protection to businesses for COVID-19. All it will do is give bad employers the green light to further abuse their employees knowing they'll have no legal recourse.

That's why our nation has a sophisicated judicial system in place to sort this type of stuff out on a case-by-case basis. I trust the judges and jurors in our country are smart enough to determine whether or not a lawsuit has merit.

Old 07-27-2020, 05:31 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,749,190 times
My agency asked for 11 volunteers to come back into the office about 3 weeks ago and then said disregard that email. It was later mentioned that the office currently doesnt have a reopening date and we will continue working from home until further notice.

Old 07-27-2020, 07:43 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,454,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
I have wanted to go back. I have no risk factors and I actually think I already had covid. I think a lot of people at work got it too. I don't think anyone has major risk factors there. We can't work from home - it's a lab. They called us back in a few weeks ago. We have to wear masks. Very uncomfortable.
Can you get an antibody test to see whether you had COVID-19 already or whether it might just have been the seasonal flu?

Although the experts are not certain that antibodies will be protective, or even if they are protective, for how long that protection lasts, I think it would be a good thing to know anyway.

Old 07-28-2020, 10:17 AM

409 posts, read 873,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
I am vehemently against granting liability protection to businesses for COVID-19. All it will do is give bad employers the green light to further abuse their employees knowing they'll have no legal recourse.

That's why our nation has a sophisicated judicial system in place to sort this type of stuff out on a case-by-case basis. I trust the judges and jurors in our country are smart enough to determine whether or not a lawsuit has merit.
I disagree. I don't have faith jurors will come up with the right decision. They may just go along with public opinion. For example suppose an employee was told either come into the office and be fired. The person comes in and after some time gets COVID. Turns out someone on the same floor also has COVID. So the workers sues the company. But how can he prove he got it from the co-worker? He can't. Lawsuit protection will stop these these types of lawsuits that can't be proven beyond doubt.

Old 08-01-2020, 05:08 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
Our business has been doing phases to bring back staff. Each step to deter outbreak. The weekly data has shown we are in compliance. Now comes the additional staff being called back. Each stating , no I won't come in. Three days of no show. Resulted in, staff relieved of position. Denial of any further ue. They made this their problem while we worked to ensure a smooth transition back. This riding the gravy train is now pulling into the station. In about one month the defiant ones will suddenly realize few will hire them . The state is starting to crack down on ue claimants that were called back, offered hours and chose to defy . My employer built it's case , paper trail , procedure adherence.

Old 08-02-2020, 11:37 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,705,570 times
So on the plus side, it sounds like we're going to be WFH until at least early next year, as they're not comfortable bringing people back in until there's a vaccine available (smart!).

However, they're now strongly hinting that everyone we will be forced to take the vaccine. If that happens, I will be handing in my resignation.

I'm not anti-vaxx, but I simply don't feel comfortable taking something that was thrown together in a matter of months without knowing all of the possible side effects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment