Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2021, 08:16 PM

2 posts, read 1,034 times

Advertisements

I offer to start my people out to do cleaning work at $11.00 and they don't even show up. People today do not take their jobs seriously. It is hard work but if I as an owner can do it surely other people can do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2021, 10:55 PM

35,108 posts, read 31,388,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jansanman View Post
I offer to start my people out to do cleaning work at $11.00 and they don't even show up. People today do not take their jobs seriously. It is hard work but if I as an owner can do it surely other people can do it.
$11/hr isn't much. I'd rather flip burgers than clean.

My girlfriend lives near a tourist area in western NC. Sonic carhops start at $20/hr. These are the folks that bring meals and drinks out to the cars.

Old 10-25-2021, 03:25 AM

9,695 posts, read 10,036,927 times
Then there are many people who retired as we come to an end of the baby boomers who would be finish retiring within the next seven years, so with the abortions which started in the 1970s, the immigrants will be needed to sustain the economies. Still a few million of people who can still work after 65 years old are still working today

Old 10-25-2021, 07:49 AM

50,941 posts, read 36,629,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
Now there's a joke: the word remote. You would think remote would mean you could work literally anywhere. Nope I mean I kinda get it but you'd think there would be more that wouldn't care where you were located.

Ha more than I had I'm sure. They probably wouldn't even let me work for less than minimum wage (even if it was legal) at the companies I applied for.

Frustrating but probably true. The worst part is if you're anything like me, that only makes you more nervous when you do get to talk to someone since you have so few chances to blow it in which case you end up possibly blowing it subconsciously by trying not to blow it.
The reason for that is because most of these companies aren't set up in multiple states. When you have employees in 27 different states it adds much more complication because now you have to follow 27 states different payroll and labor laws. All with different taxes taken out, different requirements for doing business, etc.

Old 10-25-2021, 08:17 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,236,708 times
Quote:
Are these Mcjobs or actual career jobs?

Mcjobs are a dime a dozen with zero way to make a career out of it.

You want people to take their jobs seriously? Offer them a career and not a dead-end job.

Old 10-25-2021, 08:58 AM

32 posts, read 14,170 times
Gig economies? If one can drive uber and deliver food cant they make 200$ a day? I am in car sales and a lot of people have left.

Old 10-25-2021, 09:20 AM

50,941 posts, read 36,629,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bos2Iah View Post
Gig economies? If one can drive uber and deliver food cant they make 200$ a day? I am in car sales and a lot of people have left.
It's very difficult depending on the area you live in and how many drivers are out there competing with you. I'm in a semi-rural area, you'd probably starve here. Down the shore in the summer gets busy, but dozens of drivers come down to compete for the business because it's not busy where they are. They don't make much per ride, either. My bff drove for both while her kids were in school (Tampa) and made "pin" money, maybe $40 a day or so. And a lot of people made up bogus complaints because Uber and Lyft reimburse the person if they complain about the driver. One person reported her as drunk, and she got suspended for a week even though she doesn't even drink. There is no person to appeal to, no person you can reach at all. In rush hour traffic which is awful in Tampa, she might be in the car for an hour for a 12 mile ride.

And of course no benefits, no disability if you get hurt, no unemployment, etc.

You also need a fairly nice car to be allowed to drive for them. My car is 2009 and not exactly pristine inside so I would not be able to work for either of them.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 10-25-2021 at 10:08 AM..

Old 10-25-2021, 10:04 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,236,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bos2Iah View Post
Gig economies? If one can drive uber and deliver food cant they make 200$ a day?
The people who make this statement can't tell the difference between REVENUE and PROFIT and TAKE HOME PAY.

$200 a day revenue is nothing.

Subtract:
* Special insurance you have to buy - regular car insurance does not cover ridesharing. What? You didn't get this special insurance and you get into a car accident? Welcome to bankruptcy court.
* gas
* tolls
* repairs
* maintenance
* cleaning
* health insurance which you pay higher rates as a "self employed" person.
* other costs

After paying all your costs, you got your PROFIT. From this subtract
* Federal Income Tax
* state income tax
* Medicare tax - doubled
* Social Security tax - doubled.

This is your TAKE HOME PAY. This is what you live on.

Hint: Take home pay is nowhere near $200 a day.

You'll have more take home pay working a $15/hour Mcjob.

Quote:
I am in car sales and a lot of people have left.
And that's because not everyone can sell. 100% commission sales = most people starve.

Old 10-25-2021, 11:10 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,800,740 times
Quote:
Your issue is that if you raise your price, they'll call other companies for a lower quote. If it's "Hard work" then either you're taking on jobs where the cleaning is something way more than vacuuming, dusting, mopping, and replacing towels.

My last job had temps coming in at $16 an hour. Work was not strenuous and just a bit if paperwork. Plus benefits when hired.

Old 10-25-2021, 04:53 PM

329 posts, read 226,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Last I checked we are in 2021 not 1946. Lets go back 500 years. You could probably get by without knowing how to read and write. None of that is relevant to today. We have off-shored most of the factory jobs. What worked in 1946 does not work today. We need marketable people and not artificially induced wage increases for people without skills. That just pushes up prices. I saw it first hand in Arizona. I worked full time and went to college full time. I got my education. Was it easy, no. Was it fun, no. But you do what you have to do to better yourself. You sacrifice for your future. At least that was how I thought.

You are obviously skilled. You just do not have the degree that goes with it. I am all for strongly encouraging people to get a skill. Even in the trades. Or get a real estate license. There are lots of areas where you can jump in quickly. You can start with no training as a electrical apprentice. You make $20 an hour or so. Do that for a few years then get licensed and make a good living. But if one opts out of all of this and just complains that McBurger is not paying them enough. They are a loser.
I agree with you. As a matter of fact, there is always a demand for workers in the trades - plumbing, electrical, HVAC/heating and A/C, and even carpentry, to an extent. I also agree that no one should complain about minimum wages when they have the choice to develop some self discipline (an invaluable trait) and learn how to do something that pays much better. The options are out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment