Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 08:29 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,831,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I refuse to shop at Macy's. Keep that crap on the east coast.

What has always struck me as utterly bizarre is that no matter how many brands they carry that I love, I never find anything in Macy's that I would buy.

You are completely incorrect. So sorry... but false, if we're trying to sound like *******s with elipses today.

I loved Marshall Fields-- it was part of a tradition that you went to, participated in and knew about.

Macy's isn't succeeding in Chicago, and it's been made clear that they never will.
EVERY department store that Macy's purchased was a local tradition...so stop whining about yours! It's no more important than the next one, but the rest of us are grown ups and we realize that this happens in the business world. LET IT GO!

Marshall Fields did the exact same thing to other department stores it purchased. Did that upset you?

I see a contradiction...you REFUSE to shop at Macy's, yet you never find anything in Macy's that you would buy. You must be shopping at Macy's if you're looking at the items they sell...hmmmm...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 09:59 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,387,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Macy's is a shell of the Macy's of past. I grew up with them, and have seen the decline into the toilet bowl.

You probably remember Bamberger's (sorry if you aren't old enough!)

Old 03-27-2009, 09:56 AM

4 posts, read 21,956 times
Default A'Gator to Swede

I too am a Macy's employee. I loved that store before I worked there. I am a former flight attendant and offered 'outstanding' service. I was paid for it. I love being kind to other's. Macy's was my first horrible experience in retail. You are right, it took me 6 month's to figure out that the job entail's zero, but opening account's. The 'top dog' manager love's to sneak up on me and yell...YOU OWE ME LOYALTY! That means account's! MORE ACCOUNT's. Now I see that they've cut my hour's once again without telling me. I know it's because I don't open up enough account's This is absolutely sinful. To entice people in this economy to open more account's. My customer's actually get mad at me when I ask. Good for them they are outsmarting Macy's. I actually hope the whole string of store's and their (average age 20) manager's have their house's foreclosed upon. I do. They deserve to go down for promoting more of the upheaval that brought the face of this nation down in the first place. Macy's is as BAD as what Bernie Madoff did. They are stealing billion's from the 'little' people. 'Oh, You're approved!' I got myself out of hideous financial debt 5 year's ago. I am barely OK. How can I do this to other's? I can't. I have moral's...I quit. today! Arnegator!

Old 03-27-2009, 09:59 AM

Write back, somebody. I feel alone in this. Arnegator.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:12 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,043,635 times
i opened up a macy's account, purchased $600 worth of stuff in the 2 day grace period that they allow 20% off and then I paid the thing off. perhaps, if you can't pay it off then you shouldn't use a credit card with an APR in the mid 20's.

Last edited by At1WithNature; 03-27-2009 at 10:24 AM..

Old 03-27-2009, 10:20 AM

I hope all of those that do this to people have their house's foreclosed upon. Read me...this is immoral! I'm still at Macy's, but not for long. I love the people that I work with and it saddens me to watch them push these account's on people just to pay their rent. This is just about the most disgusting thing that I've ever had to do... I NEVER drop my paycheck at Macy's. Even the product is inferior. I go to Target. I'm elated to find a place to vent. I really thought that I was the 'only' one. Thank's again, Swede.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:29 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,243,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I wonder how many beloved department stores Marshall Fields absorbed before they were ironically absorbed into Macy's? The people in Chicago who are holding on to a "name" need to grow up and move on...it happens all the time, and Marshall Fields was no more special than any other department store purchased by Macy's. Sorry...sad, but true.
So what. Macy's is nothing more than a name. That was our name, Macy's is theres. Sorry if we can't liquidate the entire country without thinking about the past. So grow up and move on.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:31 AM

I wont say who, but if you can't spell? Do not go to Macy's and do NOT open any account's anywhere. You need to learn to read and spell to defend yourself in this life. If you are perceived as 'dumb'? People will be lined up to steal you blind. Smart Up, in your own defense! Macy's is NOT nice to just give you a 26% credit card. They aren't your friends. Trust me, I work there. Oh and yes...they will always be nice if you're dumping your meager cash there. It all add's up, shopper! Better make your minimum payment, or else $39.00.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:56 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,564,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
EVERY department store that Macy's purchased was a local tradition...so stop whining about yours! It's no more important than the next one, but the rest of us are grown ups and we realize that this happens in the business world. LET IT GO!
I agree with you. Marshall Field's was an overpriced, poorly laid out department store. Since Macy's took over I actually shop at the store on State St. more...prices are more reasonable and layout and customer service seem better.

I don't get the whole Chicago backlash against Macy's - would we prefer an abandoned building instead? Fields is gone and it's not coming back. Get over it already.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:53 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,133,742 times
hmm sorry... I wish i could join in...since there are definitey two sides to this argument..and I am definitely against making poor people poorer, even if they are willing led to the slaughter house...but fortunately or unfortunately i do all of my shopping at the consignment shops, thrift shops and ebay...;-)

good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment