Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 02:25 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times

Advertisements

If you are stupid enough to open any credit account and charge things you can't afford to buy, it's no ones fault but your own. Macy's (and any other retailer) does not hold your hand over an open flame until you sign for stuff you don't need and can't afford. Blame the consumer who got in over their head by buying things they didn't have the cash to buy, not the retailer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 03:28 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,128,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
If you are stupid enough to open any credit account and charge things you can't afford to buy, it's no ones fault but your own. Macy's (and any other retailer) does not hold your hand over an open flame until you sign for stuff you don't need and can't afford. Blame the consumer who got in over their head by buying things they didn't have the cash to buy, not the retailer.

But another thought, is that when the **** really hits the fan, and families fall apart, then governments will step in. If you wave a bottle of gin in front of an alchoholic or 800 dollars in front of a poor or middle class person..you get people who will take it.

Don't lend to people who can't afford it. Banks who lend money to people who can't afford the interest rates, usually never get their money back. So, since they get only a fraction of what they loaned you do have to scratch your head, why do they keep doing it for the past 18 years?

p.s. no other country other than ours and england gives credit to people who can't afford it!

Old 03-27-2009, 03:35 PM

I have seen people turned down for instant credit at Macy's and other department stores. I do agree with you, we should tighten our credit standards. But I also think that it's a matter of personal responsibility to not buy things we can't afford.

Old 03-28-2009, 04:28 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,700,837 times
If you don't work the Sales aspect, working retail is actually not so bad.

I worked in Shipping for a reason. No customers, more relaxed atmosphere, good exercise, dress code wasn't as tight, no commision or goals to have to maintain a month. Just show up.

Now I do agree about being seen as a peon. I didn't like that I couldn't negotiate my schedules too well or that they would always threaten to fire you if you looked at em crosseyed. They played that card too much. Thats not a morale builder.

But again, get away from "sales" and you get away from that credit and commision (not to mention nasty customers) garbage.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:21 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,128,370 times
Quote:
I have seen people turned down for instant credit at Macy's and other department stores. I do agree with you, we should tighten our credit standards. But I also think that it's a matter of personal responsibility to not buy things we can't afford.

Yes, unfortunately they got rid of lay away.

And yes, the people they turn down are the same people that they or their ilk gave instant credit to before, and got burnt. Again, They are not basing it on people's income but on whether their last instant credit relationship went belly up. And again, no other country lends money to people who can't afford it. You save or you do layaway.

And remember loan sharking has been outlawed in many countries for centuries.

Last edited by gea12345; 03-28-2009 at 05:37 AM..

Old 03-28-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
Yes, unfortunately they got rid of lay away.

And yes, the people they turn down are the same people that they or their ilk gave instant credit to before, and got burnt. Again, They are not basing it on people's income but on whether their last instant credit relationship went belly up. And again, no other country lends money to people who can't afford it. You save or you do layaway.

And remember loan sharking has been outlawed in many countries for centuries.

Credit was given, yes. But no one forced anyone to take credit, they didn't force them to use the credit they were given.

What does layaway have to do with anything? Save your money and then buy it when you've got the cash. You know that Christmas comes on the same day every year--start saving now so that when that latest and greatest toy comes out that you want to buy for your kid, you'll have the available cash. I just don't know what is so difficult about that.

My husband and I save our money and don't buy anything we don't have the cash to pay for it with. It's called personal responsibility. No one makes anyone use credit cards. If people are so stupid that they charge things they don't have the cash to pay for, then it's no ones fault but their own. I've never had a retailer tell me they wouldn't sell me something unless I charged it.

We use credit cards to our benefit to get various rewards and cash back. We get the bill and pay off the card. I don't look at the card with the available credit and say "Gee, let's go on a cruise, we don't have the cash but that's OK, the credit card company will pay for it."

I simply have ZERO sympathy for people who are irresponsible--and this is a great example of complete irresponsibility. Do not blame the credit card for the lack of responsibility on the consumers end of the deal.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:59 AM

732 posts, read 4,158,313 times
When people ask me to open a store card I tell them "They wont let me because of my credit", if they ask again I just ignore it and just stare at them in the eyes.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:32 AM

I tell them "No, and if you ask me a second time I'll abandon these purchases right here and go shop elsewhere." I have yet to have anyone ask again.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:11 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,244,818 times
Quote:
If someone cannot afford to buy something then why are the stores pushing so hard to give them a credit card? You know they do credit checks.

The wife and went to Lowes yesterday and bought a new clothes dryer and the salesperson kept asking if we wanted to open an account..Told him no we would pay cash...He said that's OK they take cash too...I smiled at him and said "That's real nice of you."

Old 03-28-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
If someone cannot afford to buy something then why are the stores pushing so hard to give them a credit card? You know they do credit checks.

The wife and went to Lowes yesterday and bought a new clothes dryer and the salesperson kept asking if we wanted to open an account..Told him no we would pay cash...He said that's OK they take cash too...I smiled at him and said "That's real nice of you."
The problem is that some people just have no concept of money management. I have a friend who years ago got her first ATM card, and then bounced a bunch of checks. The reason? Every time she tried to take money out of the bank with the card, the bank gave her the money. She never stopped to think she had written checks against it. Every credit card she got she went and maxed out immediately, even though she didn't ahve the money to cover the charges. Now who's fault is that? It's HER fault, nobody elses.

A person might be in a tore to buy something that they have the cash for. Then they get the credit card and max it out on things they don't ahve the cash for. That's not the stores fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment