Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 03:21 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,754,100 times

Advertisements

I'm VERY GLAD I opened a MACY"S card. I shopped maybe $230 in skirt suits or so, bought maybe $130 more then opened a Macy's Card, refunded and recharged the items plus 20% extra off or so, ... so it's like maybe I got these awesome skirt suits at $50 to $59 each! Just buy only what you can pay the balance in FULL, - then NO interest problems!

Then I went to a MACY's sale advertised in ther Chicago Tribune with 15% off coupons but they didn't work with the Nautica Shirt I was buying. But with my Macy's Card, they gave me 20% off!

Don't ***** about the credit card! They will give you great discounts for using it to pay! Just use it wisely and pay the balance in full and it's awesome! Never spend more than you have in the bank!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 03:29 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,131,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I'm VERY GLAD I opened a MACY"S card. I shopped maybe $230 in skirt suits or so, bought maybe $130 more then opened a Macy's Card, refunded and recharged the items plus 20% extra off or so, ... so it's like maybe I got these awesome skirt suits at $50 to $59 each! Just buy only what you can pay the balance in FULL, - then NO interest problems!

Then I went to a MACY's sale advertised in ther Chicago Tribune with 15% off coupons but they didn't work with the Nautica Shirt I was buying. But with my Macy's Card, they gave me 20% off!

Don't ***** about the credit card! They will give you great discounts for using it to pay! Just use it wisely and pay the balance in full and it's awesome! Never spend more than you have in the bank!

question; why didn't you just save the money and buy the nautica shirt..instead of borrow the money. The banks depend on people who dont' pay it off immediately. And actually I have read that they will take it away from you if you use it too irregularly. And more than likely the credit card companies would stop issuing them if everyone paid before the interest was due! Why? Because they are not making any money.

just a thought

Old 03-28-2009, 09:48 PM

952 posts, read 3,707,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
i opened up a macy's account, purchased $600 worth of stuff in the 2 day grace period that they allow 20% off and then I paid the thing off. perhaps, if you can't pay it off then you shouldn't use a credit card with an APR in the mid 20's.
So you are the smart customer!

Old 03-28-2009, 09:55 PM

952 posts, read 3,707,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post

You know what, Macy' s wont tell you this but there are 15 and 20 % coupons for using any form of tender. Just to let you know.
But Macy' s don't tell you that.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:17 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,097,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
question; why didn't you just save the money and buy the nautica shirt..instead of borrow the money. The banks depend on people who dont' pay it off immediately. And actually I have read that they will take it away from you if you use it too irregularly. And more than likely the credit card companies would stop issuing them if everyone paid before the interest was due! Why? Because they are not making any money.

just a thought
I didn't read that she had borrowed the money. I don't consider it borrowing when you charge something you have the cash to pay for in order to get a discount or other incentives. I seldom carry cash and charge EVERYTHING in order to get incentives from my one card. I've flown from FL to CA on free first class tickets twice in the past 13 months because of the incentives I get from using my card. And I've never paid interest.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:00 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,754,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
You know what, Macy' s wont tell you this but there are 15 and 20 % coupons for using any form of tender. Just to let you know.
But Macy' s don't tell you that.
I shop Macy's in Houston and Chicago. Houston is TONS BETTER! A SALE COUPON VERY OFTEN AND MORE STORES WITH BETTER SELECTION!

Yeah, I know they have 15% to 20% off coupons in the newspaper!

Old 12-13-2010, 11:56 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,512,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I tell them "No, and if you ask me a second time I'll abandon these purchases right here and go shop elsewhere." I have yet to have anyone ask again.
I know this is an old thread but I would like to reply to your post. I work at Macy's, and I would love for my customers to do just that( Walk away after I ask them a second time to open an account ). Why? Because Macy's ask us to keep on pushing. We are being wached by our managers from behind the clothing racks, ready to evaluate us and to make sure we are asking a minimum of 3 times. We are not allowed to assume anything, basically, we are not allowed to use out gut instinct. Do you think we want to ask? Hell NO!
Every time you are walking into a Macy's you will frequently hear over the intercom how so and so just got a Star( activated an account ) and how that is Outstanding! Lets say I open up 2 accounts for a customer. Then they announce it over the intercom " Ms Jane Doe, 2 STARS...OUTSTANDING! "
If we do not push and open at least 3-4 accounts a week for 35 hours or more per week, you do not get enough points on your score card which results in a lesser of a pay increase for you, if any at all. Of all the account I have had customers applied for in the past year, perhaps around 100 account applications, not even 20 percent were approved.
I hate it with passion. I hate my job.I hate the corporate BS and the fake ass smiles and other crap we have to deal with on a daily bases. There is more ass kissing, favoritism going on at Macy's than you can shake a stick at. I am currently in school to make something better of myself, something I should have done years ago. The best thing with Macy's are the customers ( most of them),and my coworkers (the once that are not ass kissers.)You are the reason I can even bare getting up in the morning.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:21 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,387,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I know this is an old thread but I would like to reply to your post. I work at Macy's, and I would love for my customers to do just that( Walk away after I ask them a second time to open an account ). Why? Because Macy's ask us to keep on pushing. We are being wached by our managers from behind the clothing racks, ready to evaluate us and to make sure we are asking a minimum of 3 times. We are not allowed to assume anything, basically, we are not allowed to use out gut instinct. Do you think we want to ask? Hell NO!
Every time you are walking into a Macy's you will frequently hear over the intercom how so and so just got a Star( activated an account ) and how that is Outstanding! Lets say I open up 2 accounts for a customer. Then they announce it over the intercom " Ms Jane Doe, 2 STARS...OUTSTANDING! "
If we do not push and open at least 3-4 accounts a week for 35 hours or more per week, you do not get enough points on your score card which results in a lesser of a pay increase for you, if any at all. Of all the account I have had customers applied for in the past year, perhaps around 100 account applications, not even 20 percent were approved.
I hate it with passion. I hate my job.I hate the corporate BS and the fake ass smiles and other crap we have to deal with on a daily bases. There is more ass kissing, favoritism going on at Macy's than you can shake a stick at. I am currently in school to make something better of myself, something I should have done years ago. The best thing with Macy's are the customers ( most of them),and my coworkers (the once that are not ass kissers.)You are the reason I can even bare getting up in the morning.
It's so lousy they make you do that. It doesn't bother some people but as a customer, I actually hate being nagged to get a card or even asked for my email address when I am at the checkout. I have actually switched more to going to online shopping or going to discount stores so I don't have to put up with the annoyance of the checkout process at so many mainline retail stores. Standing in line is not enjoyable and prolonging that with a bunch of questions only makes it worse.
I don't blame to cashiers for this. I wish as a customer I had the power to make Macy's and other places stop their employees from doing this because I am sure there are not very many cashiers who actually want to do this.
I wonder if they will ever figure out they are actually losing some customers because of this unwanted solicitation.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:49 AM

4,868 posts, read 8,416,415 times
phew..this thread makes me so relieved that macy's couldn't work around my school schedule in order to give me a job!

Old 12-14-2010, 10:57 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,162,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSwede View Post
How many of you can't walk in to a department store without being asked to open a charge card? ( store credit card). I work at Macy's. One HUGE thing for Macy's is to open up store credit cards for people. Where I work we have to open at least 8 a month or we will be written up and after so long there will be disciplinary actions. We are told by Macy's, to ask the same customer 3 times if they want to apply for a card, before giving it up. Stores like Macy's have incentive's for associates when they open up a card for a customer . Between 1-5 dollar per activated card in cash or store coupons. Sounds great but to me it is not worth it. I know first hand what those revolving department store credit card do to your fico-score so why would I try to convince others it such a great deal. We have to say something like this.....
"mam, you can save 15 % today if you open a Macy's card, it will only take a couple of minutes"
We want to say this..
"mam, would you like to open a 23% interest credit card so you can save $10. on this purchase and a lifetime of debt.."

I am working hard on leaving Macy's for many reasons. If you work at Macy's you don't get sick leave. You can have a sick child or be sick yourself but the company couldn't care less. It is what they call an unexcused absent and after so many, maybe 5-10 days in a year you will be fired.

I am very tired of being treated like I am worth nothing at my job. If you are not happy at work how can you treat your customer with Macy's "outstanding service" attitude. At Macy's we have to ask our customer if they received outstanding service after every transaction. We have to ask them to go on our website and leave a comment about the outstanding service they received that day.
I can't do it anymore. I use to love what I do but not anymore.
I will find another job and never shop Macy's again.
Quote:
I am very tired of being treated like I am worth nothing at my job.
Well after reading your post, I can kind of understand why. First of all, you absolutely hate everything about company policy. You don't want to ask them to get a charge card...you don't want to ask them if they have had good service...etc. etc.

If you wanted to be LOVED by the company you would STRIVE to beat the 8 per month requirement for charge card sign-ups by twice as much. You would be MOTIVATED to sell the company rather than just be a clerk. *that* is probably why you are being treated like you are worth nothing at your job....because in their eyes, you ARE worth nothing.

If you really worked hard at it, you could be in management in a year. But obviously, it does not mean anything to you to strive for excellence in this organization. Maybe it is not a good fit. I hope you have more enthusiasm for your future in your next job.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment