Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2008, 08:58 AM

371 posts, read 1,259,366 times

Advertisements

I want to be ready when the time comes to negotiate...something I'm not comfortable with at all!
Will interview for a nursing position across the country ((NC to Ca). I'm dying to get back to that area by the way. Will need to break a brand new rental lease, plus need to move a family of 4. Of course I'd love to be completely moved, including my car, plus have our plane ride there paid for. Plus perhaps, help w/ the penelty that will come w/ breaking a lease. This job is probably considered low-mid management, in the nursing field. I do have 10yrs. experience and have worked for the hospital before, leaving on good terms.
What is normal for employers to pay? I get uncomfortable asking for things, but then again, it's not much in their big picture....help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 09:16 AM

157 posts, read 790,620 times
What is normal for employers to pay....that is difficult question. I don't think there is anything that is "normal" for an employer to pay. First of all, organizations are generally going to know if they have relocation funds available for non local candidates. If they do not have relocation funds available, then the likelyhood of them paying anything is somewhat slim. If they do have relocation funds available, they might use a relocation service to handle the details for them. You might be better off negotiating a sign on bonus that you can use at your discretion, vs a relocation bonus. Additionally, realize that if a company has to pay $20K (for instance - which btw is very low for a NC-CA relocation, likely much more) to help with your relocation, they will use this as a data point when deciding to move forward with you. Are you $20K better than a local candidate who does not need relocation assistance? If the answer is YES, the it makes sense for a company to pay it. If the answer is no, then they likely won't pay it (and why would they if they can get equal talent for 20K cheaper). Unless you are in a high demand field, it will probably be more difficult to get a job interview as a non local candidate, particularly one who needs relocation assistance. Good luck with your situation, I hope it works out for you.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:40 AM

I suppose if they do not have $ to pt towards relocation, they want even contact someone so far away.....

Old 07-21-2008, 11:17 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,893,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amymcc View Post
I suppose if they do not have $ to pt towards relocation, they want even contact someone so far away.....
Not necessarily. They may find something in your experience that is attractive to them, but they just might not have the funds to offer a relocation package. If you are willing to relocate at your own expense, then it doesn't affect them at all.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:02 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,367,766 times
You will have to see what they can pay relative to what you will need. Make a list of the costs and then ask them what they can do about the relocation expenses, so then you will have the numbers ready. However, if you choose to ask for a sign on bonus as opposed to a relocation reimbursement, the bonus will more than likely be taxed as income. The reimbursement should be done as reimbursement not extra pay, paying you for your expenses.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:59 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
I know when my nephew moved from Dallas to california like 15 years ago to move everyhting including threee cars it cost his company over 10,000. He later moved from california to Conn. but I never heard what it cost.But then he was top management.Alot of companies will also lease a house for you until you find one for like 6 months but I guesss that depends on how much they want you.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:39 PM

157 posts, read 790,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I know when my nephew moved from Dallas to california like 15 years ago to move everyhting including threee cars it cost his company over 10,000. He later moved from california to Conn. but I never heard what it cost.But then he was top management.Alot of companies will also lease a house for you until you find one for like 6 months but I guesss that depends on how much they want you.
A "FULL" relo in today's market could easily cost $100-150K.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:03 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,893,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
You will have to see what they can pay relative to what you will need. Make a list of the costs and then ask them what they can do about the relocation expenses, so then you will have the numbers ready. However, if you choose to ask for a sign on bonus as opposed to a relocation reimbursement, the bonus will more than likely be taxed as income. The reimbursement should be done as reimbursement not extra pay, paying you for your expenses.
Relocation + the gross up for taxes is still taxable income, but you can write off your moving expenses in your Schedule A. Some companies will already figure that in into your W-2. You can ask for relocation assistance...even $5K will help some.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:08 AM

I couldn't consider the job w/out relocation money from them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment