Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 09:08 AM

19 posts, read 73,964 times

Advertisements

I accepted a job offer with an offered salary of $65,000 but I countered at $70,000 and the recruiter reminded me of my last salary of $55,000. Problem is the $55,000 job was an emergency job to pay the bill and my real last salary is $65,000 three yrs ago. In panic I said ok $67,000 because I am currently unemployed (5mths). Problem is this is a senior position and just realized the median pay is $80,000 (Salary.com). I already accepted and starting in two weeks, can I call back and be firm at $75K (25th percentile) or just let it be? Its a big company with many opportunities but with this level of pay, I know I will be moving on in a short while if I find something else. Friends with similar education and experience are making close $90K. A much junior position I am interviewing for at my smaller company says its median pay is $70K. Why would a recruiter lowball someone so much? Should I? My skill is difinately in the 110th percentile for this job (overqualified) but its just harder to move into a managerial position without an MBA right now and I am working on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 09:12 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,607,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar25 View Post
Why would a recruiter lowball someone so much?
Because in this economy, they can.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:17 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
You accepted their offer. My guess is that if you try to renegotiate they'll kick you to the curb.

Salaries are down, and a lot of people are no longer "worth" what they used to be.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You accepted their offer. My guess is that if you try to renegotiate they'll kick you to the curb.

Salaries are down, and a lot of people are no longer "worth" what they used to be.
It sucks for motivation to be paid in the bottom 10% of your salary scale when you skills are in the 90% + range.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:29 PM

65 posts, read 260,063 times
Default Perform at the top tier and you will be rewarded

In this economy, you are lucky to have a job offer. Seize the day. If you are truly a top tier performer get in there and perform at the top level. Since there are many opportunities for upward mobility at this company, you should be able to elevate yourself over time. At some point, things will turn around. If, by then, you are ready to leave, you will most likely find a new position at the right level of compensation.

For now, congratulations on your new job. I am sure there are many people on this forum who would like to have the same said about them. Good luck.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaRan View Post
In this economy, you are lucky to have a job offer. Seize the day. If you are truly a top tier performer get in there and perform at the top level. Since there are many opportunities for upward mobility at this company, you should be able to elevate yourself over time. At some point, things will turn around. If, by then, you are ready to leave, you will most likely find a new position at the right level of compensation.

For now, congratulations on your new job. I am sure there are many people on this forum who would like to have the same said about them. Good luck.
This is what I have decided to do but sooner like in six months after my probatory period.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:17 PM

1,111 posts, read 4,639,518 times
My first advice, don't get caught up on websites like Salary.com or what your friends are making. Sites like Salary.com or Glassdoor.com collect their data from inputs from employees, and I'm not sure if they validate any of the information. Plus, there are many factors that can impact someone's salary for any particular function, so to me, those figures tend to be a little skewed. Many large companies use a salary report that is compiled by a industry-recognized research company (I forget the name, MrGregor, McKullen, something like that) that gathers their data from HR offices across thousands of companies.

For your situation, if you already accepted the position and have a start date, I would not bring it up again and ask for more money unless your willing to risk losing the job. The economy is different today than it was 3 years ago and you are still getting a $12K increase for your current pay. It sounds like you are talking more through your "pride" than reality because many people think they deserve more and many of them are right. However, "pride" can make you wake up the next morning kicking yourself in the a*@ as well. Think of what's important right now and build on it. As you said, it's a large company and can offer plenty of opportunities for your career. Don't always get caught up with $$$ because it's important to build your career as well.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:46 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,124,725 times
That sucks. There's no way I'd take a senior position for $67k. That recruiter was a dumbass who just wanted to close the deal.

I think you need to renig on the offer and try to get something higher. The worse they will do is say no and say the $67k offer stands. At that point take it or leave it. But if they were offering $65, they'd almost for sure accept $70k. Did you take the drug test yet? Fill out any papers yet?

Old 09-23-2009, 04:48 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,901,739 times
Those salary websites probably have not been updated to reflect the current economic condition. Salaries are pegged at industry rates, which is what the market would bear. Right now, the market is at a free fall. I know it sucks; I could be in the same situation soon and worry that by taking such a big pay cut that it would be hard for me to ask for even the last salary I left when the economy picks up. It's like moving back 10-15 years in terms of pay. Unfortunately, all employers are like that. Between their own cost cutting measures and the glut of candidates, they can get away with offering the lowest possible salary.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:58 PM

691 posts, read 2,329,399 times
Decide what to do, if you really want to stick to your guns, ask for the higher salary, all they can say is no. If they say no, are you going to walk?

In my opinion, get over yourself, you are unemployed, guess what, there are tons of unemployed people out there now, with loads of experience. You sound young, no one older is that stupid to listen to a recruiter in regards to salary negotiation--hello, they get paid by the company! Of course they want to low ball you.

Yes, stick to your guns, say, "I am worth $90,000, that is what ALL of my friends are earning. Pay me that, or forget about it!". And don't forget to file on Sunday for your UI check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment