Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 07:46 AM

140 posts, read 861,131 times

Advertisements

Do I love what I do...No. But I did used to enjoy it. I am a automotive Parts Manager for a car dealer. I have been doing it for 27yrs. This industry has changed alot in my 27yrs .I used to really enjoy coming to work seeing friends I worked with and enjoying life in general. I really liked going out on the road once a week to visit my wholesale (gas stations ,body shops etc.) customers seeing how their business worked.And if my people were handling their orders correctly.
But because of changes in the industry and lay offs. I am now working at a small rural dealer that runs with a very light crew. So I spend my day stocking parts ,selling parts ,housekeeping, along with all my management things to do. I never get to go out and visit my customers anymore because we don't have any backup people to do my job. Even taking a day off is a major scheduling issue. I work 10 hrs a day 5 days a week and my pay is about were it was 10 yrs ago.
So I am looking to find a new career in something I can enjoy again..

Last edited by BOBBB17037; 11-14-2008 at 07:52 AM.. Reason: editing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 09:57 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,988,715 times
I want to follow that adage but it's hard when you have bills to pay. There are a number of changes I'd like to make in that regard, but there is no way I can because I'd basically have to go bankrupt or work 3 jobs (which would kind of take away the fun of doing what I love at one of those jobs).

Old 11-14-2008, 10:03 AM

4,789 posts, read 14,776,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I love drilling water wells. I come home many nights with ten pound of mud on me or more. Still love it!!!
Driller1, - you sound like a "dirty girl!" Guys like that!

I wonder why another poster didn't like engineering, as it is interesting if you are a Product Design engineer! I have a Mechanical Engineering degree, and I focused my career working at companies that make products, not boring HVAC, Architectural related, or Plant Process engineering. So almost every place I worked at has been a little interesting and entertaining because I was involved in the design of products that you used.

Best most interesting job - Jacobs ESCG, worked on NASA stuff, like Lunar Lander, portable water dispenser for the Space Shuttle / Space Station, and Crew Quarters for the Space Station.

Pentair - enclosures for servers. They made some stuff for Dell too.

International Jensen - the loudspeakers sold at Best Buy. One of my loudspeaker ideas was designed and sold at Best Buy!

Desa International - they made those portable Buddy Heaters.

Platt Luggage - they made suitcases and sales presentation suitcases. It was interesting designing custon sales presentation suitcases.

So, I'm mostly happy working in my career, unless I get hired at a crappy company with crappy pay and a crappy work environment.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:06 AM

15,851 posts, read 35,232,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousetrap View Post
Do what you love and you will never work a day in your life, I have heard this many times but what happens when you don't know what you love???

Both of my parents were fortunate enough to figure out what they enjoyed doing very early on and both were very successful at their occupations, I on the other had have no idea what I want.

So do you have a career that you love?
If so was it something you discovered early in life or later?

Any advice welcome.

Thanks!!
The concept boggles me. How I would love to have a job where I had no contact with people! I have looked all my life for a job that allows me to be solitary. No contact with people. No listening to their problems, their drama. Alas, if such a job exists I have not found it. Instead I am in MANAGEMENT which consists of being a babysitter for a wide assortment of useless slackers whose lives are virtually consumed on a day to day basis with drama.

*sigh*

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-14-2008, 10:14 AM

259 posts, read 1,043,585 times
beckycat, I will look into your ideas. I'm going to give some kennels a call and post an ad for pet sitting. I used to walk dogs after work and on weekends when I lived in CA . Although the money helped, I did it because I enjoyed being with the dogs. The people in my neighborhood knew me, and therefore trusted me. Thank you for the good ideas.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:30 AM

12,638 posts, read 32,203,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Lover View Post
beckycat, I will look into your ideas. I'm going to give some kennels a call and post an ad for pet sitting. I used to walk dogs after work and on weekends when I lived in CA . Although the money helped, I did it because I enjoyed being with the dogs. The people in my neighborhood knew me, and therefore trusted me. Thank you for the good ideas.
Good luck to you! You already have experience in it, so that's a plus.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:32 AM

259 posts, read 1,043,585 times
Default Working alone

I'm with you 100%. I've always bend over backwards to leave my problems at home and be pleasant at work. However, I have always ended up working with kids anywhere from 15 to 25 years my junior and they have a completely different aspect of work ethics, and how to treat others. Where do all of the 35 age and up females work? When I lived in CA I had approximately 5 different jobs and was the oldest in each case, and usually older than my employer. One of the companies moved, and one of the other jobs involved working for an insurance agent who was very unethical so they finally terminated him. I did my best to fit in, but when my co-workers found out my age they were surprised and started to make me feel very uncomfortable. They stopped talking to me! Guess they didn't feel I was a good fit for their group. So I just ignorned them. This is one reason I'd love to find a job where I did not have to deal with co-workers. At this point in time though I'd take almost anything that I would be capable of doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
The concept boggles me. How I would love to have a job where I had no contact with people! I have looked all my life for a job that allows me to be solitary. No contact with people. No listening to their problems, their drama. Alas, if such a job exists I have not found it. Instead I am in MANAGEMENT which consists of being a babysitter for a wide assortment of useless slackers whose lives are virtually consumed on a day to day basis with drama.

*sigh*

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-14-2008, 10:33 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,179,113 times
I used to "like" what I did, if not actually loving it. I work for a state agency that conducts tax appeal hearings. As a hearing officer, I conducted hearings with a wide variety of businesses on disputed tax issues, and as a result met lots of people and learned a lot about how different businesses operate. I was promoted a few years ago to Chief Hearing Officer, so I no longer conduct hearings myself but manage all of the other hearing officers in the agency. Although if I had to do it over again I would make the same choice to accept the promotion, I no longer enjoy my work nearly as much as I used to.

I'm now looking at retirement, and would love to find something that I'm passionate about; that I would look forward to every day. But I don't know if I'm capable of feeling passion about anything anymore .

Old 11-14-2008, 10:39 AM
Rei

494 posts, read 1,764,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I wonder why another poster didn't like engineering, as it is interesting if you are a Product Design engineer!
Engineering isn't for everyone.
I don't love or hate engineering. For me, it's just a profession - a way to earn a living, and it pays the bill.

What I TRULY REALLY like is to relax, travel and have fun all the time (basically to enjoy life and NOT work at all); granted it's not gonna happen b/c I'm not a billionaire.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:48 AM

560 posts, read 1,552,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei View Post
What I TRULY REALLY like is to relax, travel and have fun all the time (basically to enjoy life and NOT work at all); granted it's not gonna happen b/c I'm not a billionaire.
Amen to that! Are you reading my mind??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment