Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 04:49 PM

791 posts, read 2,962,171 times

Advertisements

Do what you love and you will never work a day in your life, I have heard this many times but what happens when you don't know what you love???

Both of my parents were fortunate enough to figure out what they enjoyed doing very early on and both were very successful at their occupations, I on the other had have no idea what I want.

So do you have a career that you love?
If so was it something you discovered early in life or later?

Any advice welcome.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 06:13 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,968,950 times
I started my career as an Engineer after getting out of the Army and hated it. I just wasn't very good. I was always a good writer and went into writing for a living. I love what I do and it really is good to do something you love.

Sometimes the companies I have worked for have been a real pain, but I like what I do and it's a huge difference.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:18 PM

12,638 posts, read 32,129,128 times
I'm a Certified Vet Tech and I love it. I don't make a bunch of money, but you have to love what you do. It's not all about the money! It's a very rewarding job!

Old 11-13-2008, 05:53 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,402,273 times
I love drilling water wells. I come home many nights with ten pound of mud on me or more. Still love it!!!

Old 11-13-2008, 06:08 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,249,051 times
i don't love my career.
i feel pretty mediocre about it actually.
i never really liked journalism when i studied it, i really hate it after seeing how the media has evolved since i have graduated.
thankfully i work for a sort of "fluff" magazine right now.

i am trying to get into grad school and make a career change, despite the crappy economy.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:50 AM

129 posts, read 445,149 times
I was lucky to work at a job that allowed me nearly complete freedom to do what I wanted to do and all productive, 26 years.
A change to another Company with the promise of more money and better benefits in 1995 was a huge mistake. Another change in 2001 initally worked well and I was doing well. As this company began to fail I have been on hold for the past 4 years and I can barely tolerate coming to work. Thankful to still be employed but dangerously bored.
In my final few years of working at this point and very sorry to have left the job I loved in 1995.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:01 AM

259 posts, read 1,042,742 times
beckycat, I would love to do what you're doing and I'm so happy to hear that you are doing what you enjoy. I absolutely LOVE animals and for the first time in my life I finally live in an apartment that allows me to have a kitten or dog. In CA where I used to live finding an apartment that would allow you to have a cat or dog was virtually unheard of, that is if you wanted to live in a decent apartment. I have a couple of interests, but being around animals would be a wonderful career. As far as the $$ goes, I agree, if you love what you're doing money isn't going to bring you enough happiness. As long as you can pay the rent, put food on the table and pay your other bills I would say it would be one of the best careers choices for me. I also enjoy fine art and sewing. I discovered something unique I can make using my sewing, but in order to have it manufactured and get it into the stores costs money that I don't have at this point in time. It's too bad because with all the time I have on my hands since being laid off I could put some of my talents to use.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:02 AM

3,674 posts, read 3,042,644 times
I know the feeling that mousetrap and supernerdgirl feel. 40 years old and my true talents, and passions are unmarketable: animal welfare/rights, sports esp sports history/trivia, same with music history and trivia. I tried an emergency vet hospital 9 yrs ago, but the staff there resented a 30+ yr old guy with no prior experience, which they knew about beforehand. They were impatient, short very aloof and distant, and grudgingly showed me how to do things. I felt very uncomfortable from day 1 there. The others, I can only shine at trivia contests parties etc.
My current buyer job is good from job duties standpoitn, but the environment , workload, strress level is the worst I've been in ever

Old 11-13-2008, 09:14 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,402,273 times
The ONLY charities I give to now is for animals.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:40 PM

12,638 posts, read 32,129,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Lover View Post
beckycat, I would love to do what you're doing and I'm so happy to hear that you are doing what you enjoy. I absolutely LOVE animals and for the first time in my life I finally live in an apartment that allows me to have a kitten or dog. In CA where I used to live finding an apartment that would allow you to have a cat or dog was virtually unheard of, that is if you wanted to live in a decent apartment. I have a couple of interests, but being around animals would be a wonderful career. As far as the $$ goes, I agree, if you love what you're doing money isn't going to bring you enough happiness. As long as you can pay the rent, put food on the table and pay your other bills I would say it would be one of the best careers choices for me. I also enjoy fine art and sewing. I discovered something unique I can make using my sewing, but in order to have it manufactured and get it into the stores costs money that I don't have at this point in time. It's too bad because with all the time I have on my hands since being laid off I could put some of my talents to use.
Since you love animals, why don't you put an add out for pet sitting? The holidays are coming and this is a very busy time of the year. PPl go out of town, but want their pets to stay home instead of going to a kennel. Also alot of the kennels get booked up. You can get up to $20 per visit and if you stay at the house, even more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment