Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 07:19 AM

203 posts, read 929,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Lover View Post
Good for you, overtaxedunderpaid. I found MS Word very easy to learn, but Excel was too difficult for me. You don't necessarily have to use Excel for numbers, sometimes they just want you to be able to put a spreadsheet together which isn't that hard. It's the math part using Excel that I can't seem to overcome.

I have a few interests, but my first love was to become an archeologist. Because my parents passed on when I was a kid the availabilty wasn't there for me. Now it's too late; no money and no longer able to take on the challange of pursuing a degree for this.

All you younger people who have strong interests, do not delay. Don't wait until life throws you a hurdle that will be difficult to escape, such as finding any lousy job just to survive. History always repeats itself so things will get better, but we will again see these hard times in the future. Start doing what you love now. This way when you get older and have difficult times to get through you'll have a career that you have been doing for many years, and one that you enjoy.
Thank you for your advice on the computer programs Artlover! My daughter seconded your motion on the ease of Word. I was an A+ math student but that was many moons ago and Now i look at my daughter's homework and think WTF?!

Maybe you can get in contact with the archeologist department and hitch a ride to their next dig as an assistant!

"All you younger people who have strong interests, do not delay"......just take exception to the "strong interests" part as many many young people have zero idea as to what they Want to do?!(you are one of the envyable exception). I say grab onto Something Anything for now and expand on it or make twists and turns throughout your career. They need the certification/diplomas/degrees Now.........to wait for the light to dawn will be a terrible mistake..........i'm 45 and still not entirely sure "What i want to do when i grow up"?! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 07:23 AM

203 posts, read 929,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
That's interesting. I often wonder if I was some kind of weirdo when I was a kid because I really did not have any "interests" per se. I spent much of my time just being a kid, i.e. playing with dolls, watching tv, riding my bike. Oh, I have always loved animals but never had any interest in having a job that dealt with them. Honestly, I cannot think of anything I have ever been "hepped up" about other than getting married and being a wife. LOL

20yrsinBranson
Nothing wrong with that...........you had your plan.....married and became a wife........your only error was not marrying filth rich,LOL

Old 11-17-2008, 12:13 PM

791 posts, read 2,964,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overtaxedunderpaided View Post
My advice is to go back in time..........remember what you loved when you were a kid. Were you a real people person? did you love the outdoors? bike riding? animals? did construction sites make you drool? were you in awe of police/firemen? a sports nut? a mini chef? a daredevil? and so on.........the answer is there but through time, age, other peoples expectations and responsibility it got lost. Find a career that has some of these loves and than get the qualifications to meet it. At the very least, it will send you on the right path..........

currently i'm taking my own advice, much luck!
This is outstanding advice and I agree that other people's expectations get in the way of what truly makes you happy.

Thanks!

Old 11-17-2008, 12:16 PM

791 posts, read 2,964,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Lover View Post
All you younger people who have strong interests, do not delay. Don't wait until life throws you a hurdle that will be difficult to escape, such as finding any lousy job just to survive. History always repeats itself so things will get better, but we will again see these hard times in the future. Start doing what you love now. This way when you get older and have difficult times to get through you'll have a career that you have been doing for many years, and one that you enjoy.
This is great advice!

Old 11-17-2008, 04:14 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,738,507 times
I'm stuck too. I work in the legal field, not as a lawyer. If I stay here, I'll be here forever, locked into this kind of work. I have the gift of gab, I mean, I can talk to anyone. I'm very good w/people. I love to travel too. But am married so that might not work out so well. hmmm. What jobs are good for people w/ the gift of gab!?!

To the OP, much of what everyone is saying I've read before. Think back to when you were a kid and what did you love to do then? Then try to morph that into a career. lol. Harder than I've stated, that's for sure. Good luck on your endeavors!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment