Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 04:37 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,527,188 times

Advertisements

I work with snooty nurses who really think they were birthed nurses from the womb. They have no patience with new nurses and consider everyone but themselves, incompetent. I get tired of the "eye rolling" when people ask questions. And they won't let you into their little clique unless you smoke and or are willing to go outside and talk about people behind their backs....which I am not going to do, so I do my work quietly and try not to get in their way.

It is very lonely and makes for a long night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 05:22 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,772,143 times
Well, generally, I think most permanent low levels workers are low class and undesirable people because they got there through no ambition or lack of perserverance or character. I often really hate it when a low class factory worker spreads gossip about me being gay or etc as if I don't deserve to work there as an engineer.

Yeah, lots of low class workers SUCK because they feel like they're a better person when they bring someone else down. Me? - I never say a bad word about anyone to hurt their job or reputation. So why does this have to happen to me?

Old 01-29-2009, 06:25 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,112,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMtnsOnTheMind View Post
I work with snooty nurses who really think they were birthed nurses from the womb. They have no patience with new nurses and consider everyone but themselves, incompetent. I get tired of the "eye rolling" when people ask questions. And they won't let you into their little clique unless you smoke and or are willing to go outside and talk about people behind their backs....which I am not going to do, so I do my work quietly and try not to get in their way.

It is very lonely and makes for a long night.
My husband works nights in a hospital and he tells me 99% of the medical staff are stuck up and won't even say hello! He says they look right through you if you say hi in the changing room.

Maybe they need to come down from Mount Olympus and hang with the common folks once in awhile.

Sorry you have this problem--you sound nice. Stay that way!

Old 01-29-2009, 08:30 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,527,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
My husband works nights in a hospital and he tells me 99% of the medical staff are stuck up and won't even say hello! He says they look right through you if you say hi in the changing room.

Maybe they need to come down from Mount Olympus and hang with the common folks once in awhile.

Sorry you have this problem--you sound nice. Stay that way!
You know what......even though they treat me like crap, I always help out when they are behind in their work. I do their blood sugar checks, give their patient's meds, clean up after them in the break room and I have even given them change for sodas and they still do me this way . I guess I am a sucker and one day perhaps I will learn my lesson and not be so nice......but then I would be just like them.

I don't know what the answer is.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:27 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,112,613 times
You are not a sucker. You are a nurse. Nurses should have some compassion, not just be thinking of $$$.

Compassion for your coworkers and being able to help accept the new person into the group goes a long way toward the smooth operation of an organization.

Apparently this is why hospitals have trouble keeping staff...(that and the crazy hours).

Old 01-30-2009, 10:16 AM

555 posts, read 2,215,899 times
Quote:
Thanks you guys. I am so angry for her. She works hard and is nice and pleasant to the kids and these old bags are making her life hellish.

One told her she had a 'big mouth' when she only asked for some help with her job and another just bosses her around (although she is not the supervisor). They are all petty and backbiting (imagine working with ALL women).

I think they are jealous my sister is pleasant and the kids like her. I know if I was a parent in that school and workers were snapping at my kid I would make an issue out of it!
Well, you know what they say, 'it's easier to cut down other people than focus on your own issues.'
They are bored. You are absolutely correct. These losers need not take it all out on their coworkers.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:27 PM

9 posts, read 34,230 times
resillientsmile said:
I just have to add that the majority of people have so much to be grateful for. If you don't think so, take some time to volunteer at a Children's Hospital, Hospice, or a local Cancer Center. You will quickly realize you have so much to be thankful for and you may even leave with a new appreciation/ zest for life. I leave feeling guilty....

yes, I agree about visiting a cancer center. Did that myself for the first time a few years ago. It affected me so greatly. There was nothing but warmth, kindness, and wisdom that I experienced.

I guess my advice is don't sweat the trivial stuff. Unfortunately most folks don't cooperate. So, get the h out of that toxic environment, it can kill you.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:03 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,081,283 times
I agreee;hate working with people that just compalin all the time.Some people just seem to complain about evbryhting in life and you have to learn to ignore them really.

Old 01-31-2009, 05:21 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,706,360 times
That and be grateful your employed and collecting a paycheck and in a position to be social and out rhere in the world. You could be sitting a thome with nothing to do but post things on internet forums. People can be dumb.

Quote:
My sister called me today, almost in tears. She works in a school kitchen as a lunch lady. I admire the fact she does this despite the low, low pay and having 4 children of her own to deal with/take care of.

Well, she is so upset by the people, most of whom sound very jealous of her upbeat attitude and hard work. Every day she says the environment gets more toxic. She works with a lot of older people who have been there for 20 or more years, have a negative reaction to EVERYTHING, and constantly have nasty remarks to each other and the kids.

Why do people have to go out of their way to be miserable? Even the worst, most mundane jobs can be okay if you work with upbeat, friendly or just decent minded folks. Your coworkers can really screw up your day.

I ask all of you who hate work to remember that your lousy 'snappy attitudes' and misery is toxic to people who may not see life as full of **** like you do!

If you are 'stuck' doing the same job year after year, take it out on yourself, not the people around you. Times are tough for everyone. Suck it up and go home and punch a pillow or something. Cutting down your coworkers because you are a miserable crone only shows how much of a loser you really, really are!

Old 01-31-2009, 05:24 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,706,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Well, generally, I think most permanent low levels workers are low class and undesirable people because they got there through no ambition or lack of perserverance or character. I often really hate it when a low class factory worker spreads gossip about me being gay or etc as if I don't deserve to work there as an engineer.

Yeah, lots of low class workers SUCK because they feel like they're a better person when they bring someone else down. Me? - I never say a bad word about anyone to hurt their job or reputation. So why does this have to happen to me?
Lack of ambition? Maybe some, but not all. Some are there as a retirement job, some are there as their 1st job, some are there as a 2nd job to bring in extra money. Lastly some are just desperate to find some work ANYwhere, even a low paying part time job like that, but at least its something in the meanwhile.

I know you didn't say ALL workers, but I don't like to generalize people, most of whom I don't and will never know.

I've known more than a few college graduates, and stay-at-home parents that were quite "normal" people that worked for minimum wage places like department stores. They were working there to have source of income and a reason to get out of the house while the kids were at school. Some people were just between jobs or couldn't find one at all even with the degree they held. In this economy it really isn't that far fetched.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment