Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 01:40 PM

4,975 posts, read 9,540,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf fan View Post
At my last job before retirement, the boss used to tell the workers ( all 660 of them) that 2 things he will not tolerate is poor attitude and poor attendance

He stated the best employee is of little value if they have a bad attitude and the best employee is of no benefit if they are absent,

There is a difference between a bad working attitude and mistreating other employees. I've seen some act so perky it was nauseating, but they would make others' miserable with their snide comments or actions, behind the scenes. Most of these people aren't stupid enough to act their way in front of the bosses.

They put on a good show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 07:10 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,867,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
There is a difference between a bad working attitude and mistreating other employees. I've seen some act so perky it was nauseating, but they would make others' miserable with their snide comments or actions, behind the scenes. Most of these people aren't stupid enough to act their way in front of the bosses.

They put on a good show.
Yeah, I've encountered A LOT of coworkers who are all smiles to your face, do the perky small talk thing, and then badmouth you as soon as (they think) you are out of earshot. It's amazing how well sound carries in a quiet office.

I've also learned that the snakes you really have to watch out for are the ones who are overly friendly, meaning they are ALWAYS wanting to chat with you, but yet they never say anything of substance. They always seem to ask pointed, uncomfortable questions, often times about your personal life, trying to gather any sort of ammo to bash you with.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Yeah, I've encountered A LOT of coworkers who are all smiles to your face, do the perky small talk thing, and then bash you as soon as (they think) you are out of earshot. It's amazing how well sound carries in a quiet office.
Yes, the overly-nice, overly-friendly person, who acts like they are your best friend. It isn't professionalism. It is something else, and they want something from you. They want to find things out, to get something on you, to find out if you are more connected to the boss than you are. That's how they live life...it's one battlefield to the next.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:19 AM

11,519 posts, read 14,728,331 times
Quote:

They put on a good show.
That's a dysfunctional work place and any manager worth her salt would see right through it (or the brains to see it), but they often don't. I was always a direct perso.I prefer being open and honest, but finding out in certain situations, it's best to lay loooow.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
You are not a sucker. You are a nurse. Nurses should have some compassion, not just be thinking of $$$.

Compassion for your coworkers and being able to help accept the new person into the group goes a long way toward the smooth operation of an organization.

Apparently this is why hospitals have trouble keeping staff...(that and the crazy hours).

And, psychiatric settings seem to breed some of the most dysfunctional work place dynamics. Interesting. They're projecting all over the place with no self-understanding. The worst. I've seen it. Same with ICU settings, the nurses are like barracudas with a taste for blood, from their own. Never worked there, but wouldn't want to. Many nurses have lost their compassion or never had it. NOthing worse than the old burnt out ones. Whew.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:56 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,709,925 times
Miserable can be fun if they are funny and miserable . They usually have the best jokes

Old 07-15-2012, 11:29 AM

3,322 posts, read 8,005,741 times
I worked a god awful well paying job for three years. I started hating it the last two years. I would come home in such a bad mood. The 75 minute commute didn't help either. I'd say its a large part of why things went sore with my ex. Working a job you hate is unreal. Waking up five times a week knowing you are going somewhere you hate, it drains your soul.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
Miserable can be fun if they are funny and miserable . They usually have the best jokes

So true. At least you can laugh instead of cry.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Yeah, I've encountered A LOT of coworkers who are all smiles to your face, do the perky small talk thing, and then badmouth you as soon as (they think) you are out of earshot. It's amazing how well sound carries in a quiet office.

I've also learned that the snakes you really have to watch out for are the ones who are overly friendly, meaning they are ALWAYS wanting to chat with you, but yet they never say anything of substance. They always seem to ask pointed, uncomfortable questions, often times about your personal life, trying to gather any sort of ammo to bash you with.

I've met several of those.
They are rude with pointed personal questions.

I had one ask me "Why did you move here?"
"How come you live in that suburb?"
I like give "nonanswers" to such things. It's simply not their business. They aren't my friend.
They think because you're new, you've never worked before, and this place is the WHOLE world.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:04 AM

Quote:
I've met several of those.
They are rude with pointed personal questions.

I had one ask me "Why did you move here?"
"How come you live in that suburb?"
I like give "nonanswers" to such things. It's simply not their business. They aren't my friend.
They think because you're new, you've never worked before, and this place is the WHOLE world.
I have a whole conversation going on now in the Cities forum about provincial places to live (I found out I moved to one, ouch). So, I know where you're coming from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment