Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 07:10 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,775,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Healthcare is not fre anywhere. In most countries the txa burden on all working peopole si much hogher than here.What most talk about is free to them. that certainly is the less governamnt with its hands in hos pockets like he is talking about.Certinly if he is from california that is true because governamnt taxes and fees are very high comapred to most to support that free stuff to some. I personally think the classe have never been so well fed in thsi country lookig at the size of the genral popualtion regurdless if the over eating is bad for their health.Certainly if your willing to taske satndard healthcare from the 50's that would be cheap bu it would also earn a large chance of a short life. I have to laugh when you mention corruption ands south america in teh same breathe. Ever work there for any length of time. What about south Korea;most americans would never be able to stand the long hours and pay there.Greener pastors;we are becomong more like europe as the gap between the classes increases tot eh point that most willlive in teh projects and collect welfare and medicaid.
One too many beers there tex? Sheesh I could not understand what you were trying to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
thecaliforniabear,

you sound quite bitter and dissappointed in the direction that our country is headed. It seems that you have done quite some research in the lifestyles, as well as pros and cons of some of the other countries. Before I continue on my other points, good luck in your future endeavors and wherever you decide to move to.

Regardless, of some of the other posters criticism of thecaliforniabear, he does make some valid points. Even though I believe that the US is probably overall one of the best countries in the world based on what I will admit is limited info. With good conscious I cannot say is the BEST if I have not actually lived in the other countries. We definitely have some flaws, and my major problem with this country is health care and supposedly free market.

We have "selective outsourcing" and "selective free market". Greedy corporations laying off millions of americans to open shop in 3rd world countries to exploit their lack of human rights to make huge profit. However, when it comes to pharmaceutical companies and the ability of americans or "LACK OF FREEDOM" for americans to legally purchase prescription drugs from other countries, it is more like a dictatorship, monopoly, and fascist policy that is being enforced in the US.

It is simply amazing that US citizens are basically forced to buy prescription drugs from the US and do not legally have the ability to shop outside of the US and create competition which in turn will lower the cost of medication. Now, Gov. will come up with all kinds of excuses why these laws are in place such as to protect the consumers, being approved by the FDA, blah, blah. That is BS, they really do not care about peoples well being in general. Heck, let citizens sign some type of waiver if they are going to legally purchase drugs outside of the US so our gov. or pharmaceutical industry is not responsible. I am CONVINCED that the reason these policies are in place is due to money and who benefits from such policies, not Americans well being.

I can go on and on, but I will stop for now. Yes, without a doubt, this country is probably better than most countries in the world. Just look at many struggling countries around the world. But it is very egocentric and ignorant to say that it is the best without knowing the ins and outs of other countries nor having the opportunity to live in another country. But you know what, we will always have people who will blindly defend our gov. whether they truly represent the people or not.

I believe that GREED and the spreading of our CAPITALISM around the world is the goal of this country, not spreading DEMOCRACY and FREEDOM.
You pretty much described things right on. You said it better then I did while maintaining some degree of a pat on the back for this country which it may not deserve.

I have only lived in 2 other countries so I cant hollar the USA is the greatest because I dont know. I do know that I am old enough to remember better times in this country when we were more free from the chains of big govt with their hands in my pocket and their foot on my neck. I remember when I could afford a luxury or 2 without concern if I am wasting money on that luxury. I remember when the govt was for the people and by the people rather then the current show where the govt is for themselves or worse yet.....being appointed by the Supreme Court like the Dictator Bushy was.

I love my country like the rest of ya but lets admit it, it's not a very nice place to live anymore with so many restrictions upon us.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:27 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,080,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
I've had enough of this. We, the American people, are getting screwed in new ways each and every day.

Saving money has become a luxery. Enemployment continues to skyrocket. New job creation is almost all in the minimum wage sectors. We get nickel and dimed to death in just about every single way. Health and dental care is completely unnaffordable. Politicians are hopelessly corrupt and our political system stagnates in bureucratic nonsense.

The costs of virtually everything increase while wages stagnate. The middle class life is almost extinct. Our government has for all intents and purposes become an oligarchy. Mega-corporations are eliminating small business owners in every sector of the economy from agriculture to retail and everything inbetween. I could keep on going.

This country is going down the gutter. And where are the mass protests? Where are the people getting together to demand change? It's not happening, people are just staying in their houses, watching TV, surfing the internet, getting intoxicated, trying to ignore what's happening and insulate themselves in their own bubbles. If this kind of thing were happening in just about ANY other country there would be uprisings and major actions being taken by the people.

Our government is NOT what it claims to be. This is the land of the free? This is a democracy? Not at all, not at all. It has tranformed into an oligarchy, a plutocracy.

So i'm getting out of here. This country is toast. I left this country once before for a few years, and i'm about to get the F outta here again, before I fall any deeper into credit card debt.

It's too bad too. The USA is a beautiful country with amazing nature, diversity and wealth. But it's just too hard to survive here, too hard to save money, too hard to escape the life of wage slavery and poverty.

See ya on the other side of the world. And about to go stack up some cash and eat some sushi
Relax..change takes time ! Rome was not built overnight. Obama will make this great country of ours PROSPER like no other....you just need to have a little patience

Old 08-29-2009, 08:27 AM

1,071 posts, read 2,267,945 times
heydade, I agree change does take time. I am one of those that is optimistic and believe Obama is brilliant. However, over the last month I am seeing things with a little bit more of reality. Couple of things make me feel uneasy:

1) Supposedly Obama and the White House has made some kind of deal with the drug companies. I believe part of the deal is that basically the monopoly of the drug companies will continue and americans, gov., or anyone else cannot negotiate for cheaper drugs outside of the US. Not a good start. Assuring big profits for the drug companies even if some type of health reformed is passed.

2) Gradually the public option may not be considered in the health care reform. Is this our president and democrats submitting to the republicans and/or the insurance companies? Or is it that the politicians are suddenly benefitting one way or another by not providing a public option and thus continuing to let the insurance companies continue to financially rape the american people?

3) Wars seem to continue.

Many Americans voted for Obama and for change for that, CHANGE. He ran on getting out of Iraq; is he going to follow thru? well, hopefully. He ran on health care reform; he has a democratic house and senate. Can and will they succeed. hopefully. Patriot Act. I am not to optimistic about that one.

Even though I voted for a majority democrats, if I don't see substantial progress in policy and decisions made by next year, it tells me that they cannot get their acts together and I will vote against them in the mid election. As for Obama, we could see the tide turn within the next year or so, if not, then he too should be voted out in 2012. Hopefully he does have a backbone and is persistent and will continue to fight for what he has stated that he will fight for.

Like in the business world; you are hired to do a job then do it. You don't do it, pick someone else to do it.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:44 AM

560 posts, read 1,552,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
...I've had enough of this. We, the American people, are getting screwed in new ways each and every day...
OP, I hate to break it to you but after living in a few places myself, I am convinced that every country has its own problems in one way or another, in other words there is nowhere to go. I agree with a lot of the things you have mentioned about the state of affairs in this country, however do not delude yourself into thinking that other countries have it any better. I am not sure when you lived in the countries you mentioned but things change all the time so I would not be surprised if the situation there is different now compared to the last time you were there. Have you heard the saying: "when the US gets a cough, other countries get the flu"? Like me, you seem to be looking for the perfect place, but I have found it does not exist.

I have lived in Kenya, Ethiopia, The United Arab Emirates (Dubai) and visited several western European countries. Just two months ago, I returned from Buenos Aires, Argentina where I was trying to establish my "future" home but I walked right into high unemployment and misery there also. I met some ex-pats there who were all doing the same jobs (i.e teaching English as a second language) and had interesting conversations with them. What I have concluded is that if a person has money, then there is no place on Earth he/she cannot go to and settle down. I wish you all the best in your adventure. One thing to be aware of also is the anti-american sentiment that exists in many countries (especially third world countries). Make sure the locals are not aware of your citizenship or you may be a target for kidnapping, etc. It is hard to hide one's citizenship if you will be teaching English as a second language. They will figure it out, in other words it is hard to be "free" when one is constantly worried about being a target due to US citizenship. At least, that's what some of the ex-pats shared with me.

What I concluded is that yes, we may be "free" in one way but not in other ways, in short there is no complete freedom anywhere.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:56 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,060,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Why is it for every one person that wants to leave the US, there are 10,000 people from China, Russia, the far east, the middle east, Europe, etc that want to come to the US?
I've never heard of a european citizen wanting to come here to the US. The US should not proclaim itself as "Land of the Free, Home of the Brave" because it's not that free. European countries seem to get it right when it comes to balance and power of the individual.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
.... I am CONVINCED that the reason these policies are in place is due to money and who benefits from such policies, not Americans well being...
You are realizing this now?? Since when governments worry about Americans well-being? It is always about them FIRST, it is all about what BENEFITS them, in other words, they could care less about the American worker. If they did care, then they will bring back all the manufacturing companies they moved overseas because of GREED and give jobs to so many Americans now reduced to poverty just because big companies want to make profits . I don't even remember the last time I have bought something "Made in the USA"!

Old 08-29-2009, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
...I've never heard of a european citizen wanting to come here to the US....
You must not be getting out much. You should see the long lines that form outside the American Embassy in many European countries! The thing is the cost is prohibitive because just to step in the building and apply for a visa, it costs between $800.00 to $1,000.00 and there is no guarantee that one will even get a visa, which means all their money is just going down the drain. Things have been tightened since 9/11 and many people who come here do so with Diversity Visa Programs, marriage, Asylum etc... A former classmate of mine is a correspondent based in Europe and he sees long lines of US Visa applicants whenever he needs to go to the Embassies.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:28 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,060,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatiana1 View Post
You must not be getting out much. You should see the long lines that form outside the American Embassy in many European countries! The thing is the cost is prohibitive because just to step in the building and apply for a visa, it costs between $800.00 to $1,000.00 and there is no guarantee that one will even get a visa, which means all their money is just going down the drain. Things have been tightened since 9/11 and many people who come here do so with Diversity Visa Programs, marriage, Asylum etc... A former classmate of mine is a correspondent based in Europe and he sees long lines of US Visa applicants whenever he needs to go to the Embassies.
eastern europeans or western europeans?

Old 08-29-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Why is it for every one person that wants to leave the US, there are 10,000 people from China, Russia, the far east, the middle east, Europe, etc that want to come to the US?
]

Maybe because they are unaware how much the USA has deteriorated and think it's like the old days? You know.....land of choices and free speech and anyone can make something of themselves and all those dreams of the old days?

Hey one good thing about this economic depression, the illegals have stopped coming here. They can still earn a dollar a day at home while here there just is not any work at all. Oh yea but they get free health care here while I as a citizen do not. Which is better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment