Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 05:51 PM

225 posts, read 644,162 times

Advertisements

$20.

No one in at work is allowed to receive an hourly wage that is higher than the owner's daughter. The daughter works in healthcare and since "she has life and death in her hands," only healthcare workers should be highly paid. It's hard to argue with that line of reasoning, but it affects my wage directly.

The job is worthwhile in other ways, even with a salary that's "stuck".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 06:00 PM

98 posts, read 99,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robineli View Post
$20.

No one in at work is allowed to receive an hourly wage that is higher than the owner's daughter. The daughter works in healthcare and since "she has life and death in her hands," only healthcare workers should be highly paid. It's hard to argue with that line of reasoning, but it affects my wage directly.

What a wacked out owner. So she "works in healthcare" therefore she has life or death in her hands and only makes $20/hr? If she has life and death in her hands I think she ought to be making much more than 20 per hour.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:45 PM

666 posts, read 1,844,456 times
Quote:
$20.

Is your boss's name Stalin?

Your boss needs to take a long and hard look at reality. I make quite a bit more than your average cop, but what I do is in no way more important. However, the market dictates what I make, not the lowest common denominator.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:28 PM

388 posts, read 856,228 times
$6.05 hrly. plus $1.50 per delivery plus tips when they actually tip.
I deliver pizzas woot woot! Thats the best I could do down here in Lucedale! I went from Master Plumber to pizza delivery. Can you believe it's been 8 months since I had a decent job. Hopefully we're moving soon back up North so I can start making some money again! On rush nights I work about 3.5 hrs. and on closing I work 5.
My wife makes $7.25 hrly and $3.00 per customer for total health care cleaning houses for people who supposedly need help. What I mean by that is that half of the folks she helps out, there grown kids live there with them..

Old 10-23-2009, 12:47 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,457,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berneke View Post
What a wacked out owner. So she "works in healthcare" therefore she has life or death in her hands and only makes $20/hr? If she has life and death in her hands I think she ought to be making much more than 20 per hour.
The pilot that killed 50 people in Buffalo made around $25/hr and the copilot made $9.50/hr...I'd say they have peoples lives in their hands...

Old 10-23-2009, 05:55 AM

225 posts, read 644,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
The pilot that killed 50 people in Buffalo made around $25/hr and the copilot made $9.50/hr...I'd say they have peoples lives in their hands...
I tried making that point with the owner, but the owner strongly believes only doctors and nurses (RNs only) should receive high pay rates because they can save lives. Paramedics are not included, nor are any version of healthcare worker that isn't a doctor or rn. Since most of the relatives in the owner's family are RNs, I figure this is the owner's attempt to force a change in favor of the owner's fixed viewpoint.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:57 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,208,847 times
Quote:
I tried making that point with the owner, but the owner strongly believes only doctors and nurses (RNs only) should receive high pay rates because they can save lives. Paramedics are not included, nor are any version of healthcare worker that isn't a doctor or rn. Since most of the relatives in the owner's family are RNs, I figure this is the owner's attempt to force a change in favor of the owner's fixed viewpoint.
I thought doctors recieved high pay because they have to study 80+ hours per week for 8 years or so to become doctors, and money is a big motivator to give up that much of your life...

Old 10-23-2009, 09:48 AM

536 posts, read 1,871,621 times
Quote:
$20.

As an engineer I would find that quite insulting. I guess he believes that doctors and nurses came up with all that wonderful equipment, that helps them saves lives, all on their own Not to mention Pharmeceutical aspects and other devices.

And as another posted stated, at 20 an hour how responsible for life and death can she be I bet I am more responsible for life and death than she is. And my wife, who is in medical sales, is for sure

I would tell him where to shove his hourly rate Even in a poor economy.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:20 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,052,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
You know, fo those disbelieving of folks making over $40 an hour, consider this. I started my first full-time "career job" six months after college graduation (a BA in English) in 1984. That was let's see...25 years ago.

Larger salaries might make more sense if viewed in terms of salary history over decades. All of the jobs below were in the same field--writing/editing/corporate communications. I do not have an advanced degree, just the modest little liberal arts BA I started with:
  • My first job paid $14K per year. (1984, very bad job market for grads)
  • Next job paid $14.5K (1986)
  • Next job paid $16K (1987)
  • Next job was a temp editorial job paying $9/hr, or about $18K (1990)
  • Next permanent job paid $25K (1991)
  • Next job was a big jump to $31K (1992)
  • I stayed there for 6 years and after a series of promotions and merit raises made it up to $60K (1992-1998)
  • Left there and started my own freelance writing business and yearly earnings were anywhere from $35K-75K (1998-2004)
  • Back into fulltime employment and back down to $50K (2004)
  • Laid off and unemployed for 8 months (2007)
  • Current job: started at $78K, now at 81K after merit raise (2008)
  • New job will be $81K plus post adjustment (overseas) of 74% (2010)
Similar history here.
  • My first job was in 1990, making $17K.
  • 1991-1993, dropped to $15K, but it was a more interesting job.
  • 1993-1997, started at $25K, ended at $32K.
  • 1997-2002, opened my own business. Varied from $40-$60K
  • 2002-2004, back to working for others. started at $35K, moved up to $40K
  • 2004-2008, a different job, started at $53K, moved up to $65K. Earned a few small bonuses, not worth noting.
  • 2009, currently making $85K, plus bonus, plus benefits.
I was never unemployed during this time.

My current job gives me budgetary responsibility in the multiple millions of dollars, and several dozen people reporting to me.

So to the poster who disbelieves hourly rates in the $40 range, it is true, there are jobs that pay this much, and more. But it is not a simple job that you walk into, it involves training, knowledge, experience and hard work.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:59 PM

98 posts, read 99,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueman_fan1 View Post
$6.05 hrly. plus $1.50 per delivery plus tips when they actually tip.
I deliver pizzas woot woot! Thats the best I could do down here in Lucedale! I went from Master Plumber to pizza delivery. Can you believe it's been 8 months since I had a decent job. Hopefully we're moving soon back up North so I can start making some money again! On rush nights I work about 3.5 hrs. and on closing I work 5.
My wife makes $7.25 hrly and $3.00 per customer for total health care cleaning houses for people who supposedly need help. What I mean by that is that half of the folks she helps out, there grown kids live there with them..
You get a big pat on the back from me sir. You're doing what it takes to survive and believe me, I know what Plumbers make (especially Master Plumbers). You have my respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment