Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 05:41 PM

1,317 posts, read 4,063,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
How in heavens name do people live on $8-$10/hour? My husband makes $28/hr, I make $12/hour, we can barely survive on a combined of $40/hour. He used to make $60/hour, before his job was outsourced to India.

Still we bring in total about 80k/year, which is a lot more than many people make. However, we have very high medical bills and a learning disabled son which takes a lot of money.
I just got a job making $11/hr. But I live in a small house, with a low mortgage, don't have any kids, and my car is paid off. I live within my means, altho I'll be scraping by on my new wages, at least I'll keep the roof over my head, and that's all that matters to me right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 08:58 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,790,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Wow! How long is the commute? How much does it cost? I didn't know WV was commutable to DC.
I am 85 miles from my office and it takes me about 2 hours each way. Then I have the privilege of paying $18 a day to park! This is why I telecommute at least 2 days a week. The MARC train isn't for me--it takes even longer, is unreliable I fear getting stuck with no other way home.

Many parts of the eastern panhandle of WV are just 45-60 minutes away from the Capital Beltway, so a lot of people do the commute. It's actually a faster, less crowded trip than commuting from south of DC on I-95, which is a nightmare.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:17 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,258,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
I just got a job making $11/hr. But I live in a small house, with a low mortgage, don't have any kids, and my car is paid off. I live within my means, altho I'll be scraping by on my new wages, at least I'll keep the roof over my head, and that's all that matters to me right now.

Good luck to you We don't live high by any means, but seems we're always in the hole somehow.

Old 10-11-2009, 01:57 AM
Rei

494 posts, read 1,762,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmBch View Post
How much do you make an hour? (taxes included)
Not enough!
$40/hr, single, no kids, don't take VC's every year and don't drive fancy cars.

Graduated almost 4 years ago and been working since, and still can't afford to buy a house (in a good neighborhood)...

Old 10-12-2009, 07:48 PM

831 posts, read 1,585,830 times
I work 20 hours a week as a cust serv rep. I make $10.00 an hour. Sometime I get a small bonus on my check. Like $10 to $50 a week. Just depends on how my calls went for that week. My husbands check pays the bills. My check is kept out in cash each week for gas, clothes, dr appts, all the kids stuff, things like birthdays, state fair tickets, haircuts, you know just life. It really helps him to budget because I take care of the odds and ends that always come up. Now I am saving a little each week for new tires that I will need soon.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:56 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,042,594 times
7.30 an hour...will be 7.80 if I get a .50 cent raise this coming evaluation.

With this, Ive got to buy gas, food, support now 2 dogs, books for school, chunks of tuition financial aid doesnt cover, car maintenance, cell phone bill and credit card bill.

....and its done..always. Yeah..Im good.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:45 PM

21 posts, read 92,836 times
I make $26 an hour as a UNIX Information Security Analyst II. I have a wife and child and we live on my income alone. It's somewhat difficult, but we live rather simple so it hasn't been too bad. The thing I like most is that I get an entire month of PTO every year, so that's sweet. I get a lot of OT as well. So I do bring in $2800 bi-weekly at times (after taxes).

I still have a year left until I get my degree. So I am going to be heading back to school to finish that up.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:31 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,316,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
In a very roundabout way, I guess. I graduated about 25 years ago with a BA in English from a small liberal arts school, and then just stayed in the field of writing and editing. I did corporate communications, magazine editing, association work--nothing really amazing. I started working as a freelance writer/editor when my youngest was born, mostly in the health field, and at one point got an assignment in the global health field (HIV/AIDS), and from there it just took off and I ended up with more clients in that field and lots of connections.

About a year and a half ago I was hired on a full-time assignment with a contracting agency in DC.

Somewhere along the line, maybe 3 years ago, I was introduced to a guy who was high up in the UN and I created some communications for him when he was applying for Directorship of one of the UN agencies in Geneva. When he got the appointment he kept me in mind and has been throwing me project work on the side ever since.

He recently had an opening in his office for a speechwriter and advisor and offered it to me! So come spring when school is out, I will be heading off to a new life, just me and my 12-year old daughter and our dog!

So I guess it was a whole lot of luck, plus just doing this work for so long that I am really knowledgable and connected--and pretty good at it by now!
That's awesome zentropa. You should come on the College and University board under the "What are your thoughts on Political Science" thread. One of the posters there seems to think that a BA degree from a small liberal arts college is worthless and can amount to no financial success. You'd have a great story to tell him.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:21 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,560,948 times
$22 to $0/hour, depending on FAR too many variables to list here...

Old 10-13-2009, 09:47 AM

536 posts, read 1,873,666 times
~40/hour. Not counting bonuses (if we get one). I must say I am happy with it and would not consider a job change for salary alone. All of my peers make more. Probably 5 to 10/hour more. So at least I have some room to grow. Helps with keeping me employed too I guess!

I know this is a cliche but as long as you live below your means you would be surprised what you can live on. Check out the endless living frugally posts here and on other boards.

However, I must admit that even on my salary it would have been difficult to buy a house during the bubble if I had a family. They were/are extremely overpriced. Now though, a 120k mortgage, along with taxes, here in MI would around 1200 a month. 4 years ago I would have paid almost twice that. If this was our sole income I would really have to cut back on other things. Now though it is not so bad. If I was single with little debt I could easily grab a 400k mortgage, but why?

If I had minimal student loans (say 120/month or less), no car payment, and didn't mind not having cable, and was single, I bet I could still get by on 10-12/hour with my own apartment. Of course it wouldn't be fancy but it would do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment