Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 12:05 PM

850 posts, read 1,548,261 times

Advertisements

29.00 hr
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 02:42 PM

1,317 posts, read 4,062,587 times
I guess you can say I'm a bit in "awe" as to how much an hour some of ya'll make here. $28-40/hr?

The most (so far) I've ever made in my life an hour was $16.25 - back in 2006 when I was living in California.

$11-12/hr in my part of Texas is considered a "decent" wage for someone without a college degree.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:57 PM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,175,056 times
$17.51. I break even after paying the bills and my entertainment/going out costs each month.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:26 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,040,863 times
Good God...am I the lowest- earner posting here?!

Old 10-13-2009, 06:03 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,562,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Good God...am I the lowest- earner posting here?!
I think another part of the question should have been; where do you live?

I live in your state and all I can say is look where we live. Some in this state act like the low wage is a good thing but I don't care how hard you try you cannot support a family on that amount of money.

4 months ago I made $28/hr now I make $0 as an unemployed contract worker who is ineligible for unemployment. Many of the ads I see posted are for more contract workers and that I believe is a disgrace. Our state must step up to help its people.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:07 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,499,522 times
$40.02 now but last year I was at $65 and change and I worked lots of overtime @ ~$100/hr...this economy sucks...but at least I still have a job!!!

Old 10-13-2009, 08:12 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,561,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post

I live in your state and all I can say is look where we live. Some in this state act like the low wage is a good thing but I don't care how hard you try you cannot support a family on that amount of money.

4 months ago I made $28/hr now I make $0 as an unemployed contract worker who is ineligible for unemployment. Many of the ads I see posted are for more contract workers and that I believe is a disgrace. Our state must step up to help its people.
Sounds like me ... I made an even $50 an hour doing database contract work ... I've been mostly unemployed since June of 2008 though, and have been ineligible for unemployment... I took a 3 month contract making a whopping 13 an hour so I could relocate... that is all I have been able to find and that was all the way back in February
great economy we are in!!! I have applied to over 70 IT jobs and haven't got nada, I used to turn down projects on a weekly basis. I have applied to local stuff such as Safeway and Subway but I am sure they think I am overqualified... even if I explain I just need the $.
I am trying to get out of it entirely and start up a web dev business b/c at least there still might be some market for it locally and not flooded with H1B factories...nor will I have to rely on an employer to employ me.
I've also considered applying to some doctoral programs just to weeze by the recession and add another overqualified piece of mess to my resume. That isn't really an option though, as funding has been slashed so hard in the university systems.

Last edited by grapico; 10-13-2009 at 08:22 PM..

Old 10-13-2009, 08:34 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,562,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Sounds like me ... I made an even $50 an hour doing database contract work ...
We're in the same line of business lol and earning absolutely nothing for it! I'm tired of seeing the word "CONTRACT" in every job posted for my profession.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:48 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,561,093 times
Quote:
We're in the same line of business lol and earning absolutely nothing for it! I'm tired of seeing the word "CONTRACT" in every job posted for my profession.
Yeah... I feel a bit disillusioned about my country, giving so many jobs to people who aren't even citizens. Why did I work hard all those years only to be burning through all my savings where h.s. dropouts earn more than me now? Of course I have no health insurance either and no unemployment benefits. What business did I have doing racking my brain taking 3 calculus courses???

Old 10-13-2009, 09:21 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,040,863 times
Quote:

I dont have alot of family to feed...just dogs and normal bills for a 22 year old in college.
Some of the salaries here though make me feel like Im a lazy cow...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment