Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 09:20 PM

65 posts, read 236,062 times

Advertisements

Today while at working i was finishing up the day by doing a light check and make sure all the lights were working and none were dead(Its a large building with a lot of lights).My beloved boss called me over and proceed to tell me that he watched me walk around for ten minutes and not being productive.I told him i was checking the lights and he went on a little rant about being productive etc.I'm not sure what to do,to me it feels like no matter what i do im wrong. I wanted to say back to him but knowing my luck he would fire me and i can not afford to lose the job.Just not sure what to do,not sure how to handle bosses like this boss is,can not please him for anything so if anyone knows how to handle hot head bosses could you share some tips.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 10:15 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,805,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowling Nut View Post
Today while at working i was finishing up the day by doing a light check and make sure all the lights were working and none were dead(Its a large building with a lot of lights).My beloved boss called me over and proceed to tell me that he watched me walk around for ten minutes and not being productive.I told him i was checking the lights and he went on a little rant about being productive etc.I'm not sure what to do,to me it feels like no matter what i do im wrong. I wanted to say back to him but knowing my luck he would fire me and i can not afford to lose the job.Just not sure what to do,not sure how to handle bosses like this boss is,can not please him for anything so if anyone knows how to handle hot head bosses could you share some tips.

Thanks
Is doing a light check in your job description? Is it in someone else's? (Are you doing someone else's work, a union person perhaps? A big no no.)

Your boss might be completely right.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:17 PM

no it is part of my job,I was doing my job. were nonunion thankfully

Old 02-26-2010, 10:20 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,805,929 times
Quote:
no it is part of my job,I was doing my job. were nonunion thankfully

Is he always like this or could it have been a bad day? Can you lose a battle and win the war?

Old 02-26-2010, 10:43 PM

I say its a 60/40,Its mainly when we are busy,most of the time we have no problems but then i get these rants and they happen when we are busy,Its like he has a bad day so takes it out on everyone else in some shape or form.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:35 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,033,058 times
Quote:

Thanks
Is it your job to check the lights (the boss may be miffed because you are wasting your time doing something you were not hired to do)? If not, then you may need to find other ways of demonstrating your productivity at your job.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:08 PM

475 posts, read 1,644,705 times
Quote:

Thanks

How about taking him out with a few of the crew for beer and bowling? See if he will losen up.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:13 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,153,616 times
Quote:

Thanks
The next time you do this. Take a clipboard with you and jot down notes about the lights as you check them. This way you are "looking" productive instead of wandering around empty handed looking for lights, and you have something TANGIBLE to wave in the bosses face if he comes down on you.

If the boss says...."You're not being productive", then sit down with your clipboard and start reading off every note that you have taken to PROVE that you are being productive and effective in your job.

By the way. The next morning, you need to EMAIL copy of your notes to him along with a LENGTHY report on lights and which were on and which were off. Make it sound like this job is the most important job in the building. Go on and on for PAGES about the lights.

Trust me, he won't mention it again. The secret is to make him (and everybody else) think that your job is the most important job there is. And you have the DOCUMENTATION to back it up.

Works for me.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-27-2010, 08:16 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,915,728 times
Are you just slowly wandering around staring up at the ceiling? Or are you walking around rapidly with a clipboard in hand, marking down where changes were needed, or doing something else to indicate that you were actually doing productive work? You say the area was large, but how large exactly? If your boss was observing you the entire time, it sounds like an open area--factory floor or open office layout, in which case do you actually need to walk around to do this task? Is this a job you could do faster? Is this a task you do more often than is needed? Is this a task that would be better performed at a time other than the end of the shift?

Old 02-28-2010, 05:34 AM

16,080 posts, read 21,176,728 times
These lights you checked, were they in areas that you normally have access too during the course of your usual day? Or do you have to go to parts of the building that you don't often see?
Is it possible that your boss views the light checking as not necessarily a duty in and of itself, not something you need to make a special time for, but is instead something you should be taking note of during the course of your day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment