Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 11:55 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,342,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Well, if a living wage is $2k-$3k/month take-home, then that's fine with me. I don't really desire to have much a family life as it's hard for me to get a date as it is.
As far as working nights is concerned, I was always a nocturnal creature so there's nothing wrong with that. Day-jobs were always the pitts for me anyway.

The biggest thing keeping me from going into this path after researching it for so many years now is the O/T and taking time-off issue.
After working security for 6 years and driving truck for 1 1/2, I've become fairly comfortable with 40hr work-weeks and some occasional OT.
After looking into nursing, it appears as though most places are chock full of OT and some tend to penalize you hard should you refuse it.

Also, the bit about MD's being aggressive towards RN's seems to be a bit of an understandable inferiority complex.
Wouldn't want to be near it myself, but I too would probably feel like a head-honcho after slaving away in school, out-of-pocket for X-amount of years.

On the lighter side of things though, nursing isn't the only vital occupation needed in a typical hospital.
RT's, XRay techs, and other types of therapists seem to be wanted as well.
If I had to do it, I would probably go the Respiratory Therapy route myself and seek work in a rural, out-of-state facility if it was possible.
I know a nurse (RN) who is a part-timer, yet is still not allowed to take off more than 3 days total during the time period from November 1 to January 15 simply because the facility does not want to pay extra for temps from agencies. They treat the p/t staff with the same restrictions as the f/t staff.

OT can be forced on them with short notice. The schedules are usually set weeks in advance and you must request time off MONTHS in advance, yet the administration won't tell you if you can actually have vacation until it is too late to get the cheaper airfare you would have gotten if they had approved it promptly.

Nurses also must work weekends. Most work every other weekend (if they are lucky) and many work at least one weekend day every single week. Many nurses also do not get paid premium rates (double time or time and a half) on all holidays, including the major ones like Christmas. It's treated just like any other day. Speaking of big holidays like Christmas, Thanksgiving and New Year's, many nurses never get ALL of them off ... they always have to work at least one of them.

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 07-12-2010 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: correct spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 03:53 PM

2 posts, read 5,685 times
As a new RN Graduate - I certainly didn't expect to have this much difficulty finding a job. This is my second career so I'm not a young person starting in her first career. To make matters worse, we're relocating to Colorado Spring in a week or 2 and I know it will be more difficult there since I have no contacts, experience, etc. But I'm determined to keep trying because this is what I want to do. I don't expect it to be a dream job. I know it will be tough, demanding, and frustrating. But I also know it be rewarding because I can help those that cannot help themselves. I can provide care to those who really need it and nothing can be more rewarding than that. I wish those that are thinking of pursuing a career in nursing to be prepared for the tough job market, but I wish you much luck!

Old 07-12-2010, 04:51 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,524,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rya700 View Post
I agree nebulous 1 - those 'trade schools' are scary. I think they need to be better regulated, and should be held more accountable. This is the one thing I agree with Obama on. They are ruining peoples lives, basically the underpriveliged single mom types - promising them big $$ when in reality the jobs they are training for are $10 - $15 hr jobs (med assistant, rad tech, ect)and they will not make enough to repay the student loan. Unfortunately, many of these 'jobs' are in the allied health field. And they will take anyone, they just want the student loan $$$ - it doesn't matter if the person can read or write or will be otherwise able to perform the job.

I worked with a LPN recently who spent $26k on her education at one of these 'college america' schools and made $16/hr. Her student loan was $450/mo and she was always broke and could hardly make the rent. She could have got the same education from a CC for about 5k.

Here is the deal...
One CAN repay a loan based on the income of being a medical assistant, radiology tech, etc. But many of the schools are not accredited, so you can't take your boards.
Here is the other deal. They are spewing out so many people. Most hospitals and doctors' offices don't hire hundreds of techs. A large hospital may have a lot of nurses on their staff, but it's not true of the other allied health professionals.

I fault our professional accrediting bodies and registries. They make us walk a very fine line, making us pay for registries, getting re-registered now, paying for CME's (Continuing Education Credits) and more. Yet, they do nothing about these so-called "colleges".

You are right about community colleges. A lot of the tech and nursing programs came from the hospital-based programs.

But these schools that advertise you can learn Xray or walk down the hall and learn Cosmetology, or walk down the hall and learn Air Conditioning Mechanics...and no slight to anyone in those fields, but you know this is all about the "skools" wanting you to hit the "Financial Aid Office" first, and get that FAFSA loan.

The hook is, two years of school, then you're out and you make a lot of money, but it doesn't work that way. Not now. Maybe 10 years ago. There are more limitations and now, the job market is saturated.

I am not surprised to see that nursing is filling up. There are a LOT of older men in nursing now.

And why oh why are people telling other people to "go into the medical field?" Why don't people look for themselves? Why not go to www.indeed.com or your local hospitals' websites and find out what they are hiring in. You'd be surprised.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:54 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,524,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I know a nurse (RN) who is a part-timer, yet is still not allowed to take off more than 3 days total during the time period from November 1 to January 15 simply because the facility does not want to pay extra for temps from agencies. They treat the p/t staff with the same restrictions as the f/t staff.

OT can be forced on them with short notice. The schedules are usually set weeks in advance and you must request time off MONTHS in advance, yet the administration won't tell you if you can actually have vacation until it is too late to get the cheaper airfare you would have gotten if they had approved it promptly.

Nurses also must work weekends. Most work every other weekend (if they are lucky) and many work at least one weekend day every single week. Many nurses also do not get paid premium rates (double time or time and a half) on all holidays, including the major ones like Christmas. It's treated just like any other day. Speaking of big holidays like Christmas, Thanksgiving and New Year's, many nurses never get ALL of them off ... they always have to work at least one of them.

That goes for techs too. And many times, no benefits, calling you "PRN" or "pool", yet you work more than 40 hours a week in reality. Just a way to keep from paying you benefits, and the managers get a percentage of whatever they save in department costs.

I had one job where I worked 7 days a week. I had no benefits. I did it to keep employed. I am so surprised when people think medicine is the gold-mine of employment. When they get in it, they find out differently. Management will work you like a slave to get every penny out of you.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:17 AM

789 posts, read 1,745,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I graduated Nursing school in 93 and there were NO jobs for new grads. I did a 2 month internship at a local hospital as a joint project with my nursing school and was hired 1st in class. New nurses should investigate internships, non paid on floor training in association with your school as an independent study.

12 hour shifts are the norm and they are long and can be brutal. 8 hour shifts are like candy. if you want to work acute care then 12 hours is the norm. I find 2 12's in a row is the best with 2 days off following at least that is best for me.

Acute care nursing is an excellent career. Pays well, many rewards and many challenges. It is not for shrinking violets. It is tough demanding and when the hammer falls you MUST know what you are doing, the rest of the team will expect that of you. You are the one in control of each detail Competence is equal to happiness. Perhaps the best thing is that It is your practice. After several years of experience you can pick up a phone and have several jobs instantly and that is the real skinny. I get calls and emails every week.

Pay is adequate. The best pay is a non benefitted per diem employee who can work in critical care units and ER or PACU. NICU RNs are also sought after. One can easily make $150k. But bear in mind you will WORK for that dough.

After 16 years, the 12's are getting a little long but the rewards are significant. I don't regret my decisions to become a nurse in any way. Now about that unit manager........=)

My advice. Focus on and control the details. Lives depend upon it.
You have many jobs to choose from because you are experienced. The job market is very competitive right now for new grad RN's. It is hard to get into acute care (hospitals) b/c the hospitals do not want to pay to train the new graduates. Many jobs advertised with hospitals even state to not apply unless you have 1-2 yrs experience in that particular area. i saw one recently that even stated 'no new grads.'

Old 07-13-2010, 11:22 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,342,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
That goes for techs too. And many times, no benefits, calling you "PRN" or "pool", yet you work more than 40 hours a week in reality. Just a way to keep from paying you benefits, and the managers get a percentage of whatever they save in department costs.

I had one job where I worked 7 days a week. I had no benefits. I did it to keep employed. I am so surprised when people think medicine is the gold-mine of employment. When they get in it, they find out differently. Management will work you like a slave to get every penny out of you.
That is a very crappy way to run a business, especially one that deals with peoples' lives (and deaths) everyday. It should be outlawed and the pay of management should not be based on that.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:12 PM

750 posts, read 1,446,913 times
This may be a crappy way to run things. It is all about the buck people's lives or deaths matter little. It is all about cutting budget. Management pay is often based on the % they cut the budget by. Hey if someone dies and you or the company get sued. Just blame it on the nurse or x ray tech pass the buck. Happens everyday only a few cases ever make the papers

Old 07-16-2010, 05:06 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,353,738 times
I guess the OP decided to stay at her current job...

Old 07-16-2010, 05:11 PM

20,838 posts, read 17,144,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rya700 View Post
You have many jobs to choose from because you are experienced. The job market is very competitive right now for new grad RN's. It is hard to get into acute care (hospitals) b/c the hospitals do not want to pay to train the new graduates. Many jobs advertised with hospitals even state to not apply unless you have 1-2 yrs experience in that particular area. i saw one recently that even stated 'no new grads.'
Perhaps you should re read my post. new nurses should investigate internships and additional education in the areas they like to get positions. The only reason that I was hired in 1993 when there were no jobs was due to this extra effort and education. Notice the details and you will prosper.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:13 PM

20,838 posts, read 17,144,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
This may be a crappy way to run things. It is all about the buck people's lives or deaths matter little. It is all about cutting budget. Management pay is often based on the % they cut the budget by. Hey if someone dies and you or the company get sued. Just blame it on the nurse or x ray tech pass the buck. Happens everyday only a few cases ever make the papers
People are predictable and when pressure is put on management care suffers no doubt. Nurses are very flexible and respond to changes by working harder, however managements inability to see the increased stress or decreased outcomes is what leads to tragedies, and unfortunately you are correct, they do not care. Lip service but not true caring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment