Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 11:42 AM

18,739 posts, read 33,560,500 times

Advertisements

I'm no saint. I've worked in psychiatric mostly (which includes detox and Alzheimer's) and AIDS hospice. I like the idea that I'm in a field that is at least trying to make the world a better place- I never could find business to suit me that way. I know business is necessary to make the world go 'round, but the two years I spent in technical writing was mind-numblingly awful for me.
But really, I think it's an overstatement that people must be saints to do what some of us do. If I found it hard to work with dying people, emotionally hard, of course I wouldn't do it. I can do it because I find it invigorating- dying is part of life, focuses one on what's important. It's an honor to help someone die well and ease their loved ones' situation with the dying person.
Maybe I've been in the health care environment too long- that what I see as "normal caring" is actually pretty extraordinary. But I do quiver when I see that some nurses are seen as almost saints or that one has to be so special emotionally to do the job.
I personally could never work with rescuing abused animals. I'd be crazed with misery. I could see working to fix them but I really am better off adopting them and sending checks. If I found my job that hard emotionally, I wouldn't do it. And I'm no saint. (Just don't want to see people considering nursing school to be scared off that they don't have enough halo around them!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 12:33 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,416,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I'm no saint. I've worked in psychiatric mostly (which includes detox and Alzheimer's) and AIDS hospice. I like the idea that I'm in a field that is at least trying to make the world a better place- I never could find business to suit me that way. I know business is necessary to make the world go 'round, but the two years I spent in technical writing was mind-numblingly awful for me.
But really, I think it's an overstatement that people must be saints to do what some of us do. If I found it hard to work with dying people, emotionally hard, of course I wouldn't do it. I can do it because I find it invigorating- dying is part of life, focuses one on what's important. It's an honor to help someone die well and ease their loved ones' situation with the dying person.
Maybe I've been in the health care environment too long- that what I see as "normal caring" is actually pretty extraordinary. But I do quiver when I see that some nurses are seen as almost saints or that one has to be so special emotionally to do the job.
I personally could never work with rescuing abused animals. I'd be crazed with misery. I could see working to fix them but I really am better off adopting them and sending checks. If I found my job that hard emotionally, I wouldn't do it. And I'm no saint. (Just don't want to see people considering nursing school to be scared off that they don't have enough halo around them!)
Same here! I can't even watch some of the TV commercials!

Old 04-28-2010, 01:10 PM

6 posts, read 10,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

There are many kinds of nurses - MAs, NAs, LVNs, 2 year degree RNs, 4 year degree RNs, RNs with masters degrees, NPs who do some of the traditional tasks of doctors.
What an annoying thread to read... First of all MAs and NAs are NOT nurses! Just because some people call anyone in scrubs a nurse doesn't make it true. Unless you have the initials LPN or LVN in some state or RN..you are not a nurse.

Now to the OP, please read this thread with caution and realize most of the people who have opinions about nursing aren't nurses. No way to even prove they know a nurse. Their responses are more political..anti health reform then actual knowledge of the subject.

The bitchiness you deal with in nursing comes mostly from the old school nurses who feel threatened by new nurses who have undergone a much more extensive educational program then they had to take. Most older nurses didn't even have to go to college, it was more of a certificate program type deal. Anyway if you know your job and do it well you don't need to be bothered by such nurses. They will eventually all be gone and you will someday be in the position to teach as the "senior" nurse and you can make the conscious effort to change this attitude in nursing and take newbies under your wing.

People complaining about money and no jobs must live out in the sticks. I have no idea what they are talking about. I have lived up and down the east cost and some in the mid west and NEVER had trouble getting a job!

Also to the people say nurses might make a decent wage but they have to work for it... do you know how ridiculous you sound? At what job do you NOT have to work for your money?? Why are you all so lazy? You want something for nothing!

The ONLY thing I can find to agree with on this thread is wanting nursing to stop being glamorized to people with hopes of recruiting them in, for the same reasons as others.. I do not believe nursing is for everyone. Money is a good motivator but you need to care about people too. Sure you can get by but you will be one of those nurses you hated her job and complains 24/7 because you were never really in it for the right reasons to begin with.

For the nurses who did go into it for the right reasons and are feeling burnt out.. do something to change it..speak up! Things aren't going to change unless you take steps to change them. Stay away from negative people, they will ALWAYS bring you down with them.

Edited to add: I don't want to hear that Aunt Sally has been looking for a job for over a year as an RN with no luck.. did you ever think that maybe it's your Aunt Sally that is the problem and NOT the nursing profession?!

Old 04-29-2010, 01:52 PM

18,739 posts, read 33,560,500 times
Ha! And I didn't want people to be scared away because they're not Flo Nightengale/Ma Theresa!
(Disclaimer- I got an RN from a hospital school in 1981, got an MPH in 1986 that I am not utilizing) and would rather hang myself than sit through any "nursing education" that wasn't very concretely useful.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:21 PM

6 posts, read 10,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Ha! And I didn't want people to be scared away because they're not Flo Nightengale/Ma Theresa!
(Disclaimer- I got an RN from a hospital school in 1981, got an MPH in 1986 that I am not utilizing) and would rather hang myself than sit through any "nursing education" that wasn't very concretely useful.

I wasn't implying a halo... just to be somewhat of a people person. The same goes for animals, I'm not thinking that too many go into helping animals that don't like them, yet there are plenty of nurses who are quick to say "I'm not a people person". It's sad for both the nurse and the patient when that is the case.

I also think your location depends on how useful your degree will be. People say "oh I'm going to be an NP" but they don't research if their area is even in need and most aren't willing to relocate.

You see, I have NEVER not gotten a call back on a job I applied for and wasn't hired after the interview, then again, I'm not afraid to move.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Well I sure hope that all this suckers that are RNs and LPNs and hate their jobs so much quit and make room for people that care. Nothing worse then negative people on the work place. Please, leave and find another career.
Ohhhh you have no clue what you are talking about. I dont think you'll be so Polly Anna when you finally get out there and work. We hired about 5 new grads 3 years ago and they all hate their jobs already. People here are trying to help you.....whatever.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:59 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,241,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Well I sure hope that all this suckers that are RNs and LPNs and hate their jobs so much quit and make room for people that care. Nothing worse then negative people on the work place. Please, leave and find another career.
You clearly must be INEXPERIENCED with working and very young.

You're going to get a rude awakening. My sister is a nurse and has been for over 10 years. Take notice of Collegeguy's posts.

When I used to manage the Homeless shelter, believe me I have seen it all, we would get these college social work interns with these big ideas about "saving the world" and "helping all of mankind",....I'd laugh to myself and think, boy are they in for a surprise. I could not tell them anything. They actually think they are going to save a guy that's been getting high on dope, drinking for over 30 years, has not held a job in 25 years and the guy is 57y/o. I'm sorry, he can only save himself at that point. But I could not tell the interns anything. They had all of the answers......from their Sociology books.

Good luck

Old 07-01-2010, 08:28 AM

993 posts, read 2,302,734 times
As a former RN, I agree with collegeguy. It may have been mentioned before, but check out allnurses.com.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:41 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,790,823 times
$50/hr.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:19 PM

791 posts, read 1,756,487 times
I am an RN popping in to agree with collegeguy....nursing jobs are hard to find right now for new grads. Different story for EXPERIENCED RN's but I'd think long and hard about attending nsg school right now - especially if you want to get in it just for the $$$$$ and have a family to support ect. And some jobs are just outright crappy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment