Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 08:41 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,369,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Bottom line is, there is no RN or LPNs making 10 bucks an hour in 2010. If I am wrong, prove it please, because I don't believe it.
There can be a big difference in pay between RNs and LPNs. In my prior hometown in PA, LPN's commonly start a bit below 10$/hr depending if they're working in a doctors office or personal care nursing home setting. The hospitals paid 9-11$ to start , but the trend has been not to hire LPN's anymore in the hospitals there.

I know quite a few RN's who made around 10-15$ working in doctors offices - they have no nights, no weekends, all holidays off, so that is considered part of the benefit of working there and the wage is lower. Nurses in the hospital changing jobs from the "floor" to administrative daytime jobs also tend to take a pay cut since they're no longer doing acute care nursing.

From your original post you seem concerned with the "good wage". Brand new graduate RN's sometimes do NOT make such a good wage as your employer will be making the initial lengthy investment of time to provide orientation and training. Brand new RN's are not truly an asset until they have the first 6 months (at least) under their belts. The higher wages will come from doing the less desirable shifts on the less desirable units.

Some of the numerous "good wage" jobs you might be seeing may be ICU, ED, Surgery specialties that require a few years of experience in larger urban cities. Travel nursing jobs that pay very well require a few years of experience also, and have dried up recently. ( I work with about 8 prior travel nurses that all signed on full time at our facility because they saw the writing on the wall that travel jobs were unavailable as their contracts were ending.)

Jobs can also be difficult to come by depending on if an area has many nursing schools and the job pool can be quite full.

You may want to focus less on having someone here "prove" something to you and learn more about the hiring trends and orientation programs in your area.......before you get an expectation........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 08:35 AM

23 posts, read 74,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
I would be LPN to see if you like it. Nursing jobs are hard to find these days. LPN made 16 to 21 bucks an hour RN make 20 to 26 an hour. You can make more or less depending on where you are living. West coast nurses make more East coast as well. You are going to need to move to find a job in alot of cases. Nursing is a rotten job. But you can make some cash. You will hate your life but there is money. Health care reform will hurt nursing. Less nurses hired more paperwork. Health care is becoming flooded.
nursing is a great profession. It's not all about the money, but of course being paid for your expertise makes the job more bearable, but like any job, it's not just about money. Nursing is a rewarding profession and if you are compassionate, smart, and like to help people, then this profession may be just for you.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
I would be LPN to see if you like it. Nursing jobs are hard to find these days. LPN made 16 to 21 bucks an hour RN make 20 to 26 an hour. You can make more or less depending on where you are living. West coast nurses make more East coast as well. You are going to need to move to find a job in alot of cases. Nursing is a rotten job. But you can make some cash. You will hate your life but there is money. Health care reform will hurt nursing. Less nurses hired more paperwork. Health care is becoming flooded.
FYI AACN - Media - Nursing Shortage Fact Sheet

"U.S. nursing shortage is projected to grow to 260,000 registered nurses by 2025. A shortage of this magnitude would be twice as large as any nursing shortage experienced in this country since the mid-1960s

Old 04-15-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Thanks xxgingerxx for backing me up. I am so sick of these pop media articles on how nursing is going to save us all. Most of these young nurses want no part of bedside nursing. Thus they go get their BSNS MSNS as fast as they can. So they can become educators case managers supervisors.ect Most of the time they make less money. They want away from the floor at any cost. As for the RN who lived in toledo and also worked in New York those wages sound right know both areas. The thing is wages vary all over the US. In parts of the South RNS might be making 18 to 20 bucks an hour. They may have even been a nurse for some years. But the wage for the everyday Joe in the area may only be 10 buck an hour. Thus their making good money for the area. RNs can make 30 bucks an hour in New York no problem. But the cost of living and taxes are so high. That RN in the South making 18/hr might be better off. We need LPNS and RNS doing bedside nursing. But no one wants to do that and for good reason.
BSNS and MSNS...??????????????????

Old 04-15-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Well I sure hope that all this suckers that are RNs and LPNs and hate their jobs so much quit and make room for people that care. Nothing worse then negative people on the work place. Please, leave and find another career.
yeah, that!!!!! =)

Old 04-15-2010, 08:59 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,790,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanceryan View Post
I gotta call BS on the 10hr thing. I just left a hospital's web site for SL and it's well over what has been said here.

Just another case of spreading crazyness!
I live in a poor part of the country and the wages of BS degree-registered nurses is much much higher than that, however I think it's possible in some areas of the country that wages and cost of living are much lower than others. Nurses aids here would make less than $10 an hour but may still be considered by themselves and the patients as nurses - they do the traditional nursing work.

For example - check out the wages of those who do nursing care in nursing homes in some parts of the country.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
Exactly, here around St. Louis RN's are lucky to be making $10/hr.
simple salary search for a staff nurse in St. Louis

10th%25th%75th%90th%$54,642$59,848$72,354$78,535

so that's starting at $31.66.... at the lowest 10th percentile....
What's your education worth?

Old 04-15-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
ZoomZoom3, Where is the Link where it says an RN in St Louis make 10 bucks an hour. Please provide me with some evidence to that.
This is what I found
Salary for new nurse in St. Louis - Nursing for Nurses

and we are not talking big bucks but it is sure as hell not 10 bucks an hour. Stop spreading lies!

Old 04-15-2010, 09:05 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,790,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtoNH2010 View Post
nursing is a great profession. It's not all about the money, but of course being paid for your expertise makes the job more bearable, but like any job, it's not just about money. Nursing is a rewarding profession and if you are compassionate, smart, and like to help people, then this profession may be just for you.
I've known people who couldn't be happy being anything else. I asked a pediatric oncology nurse one time if her job wasn't depressing and she said not at all, she loved those kids so much and she said that they'll suffer pain whether she sees them or not and if she performs her job well, they'll suffer less pain than they might have and if she does her job with the right compassion which requires being strong for them some times, she can make their burden lighter. And if they die, she can help guide them and help them and their families through that, make their last days better, as good as she can help make them. She sees herself as their rock and their comfort.

Certainly this isn't the right job for everyone. And some nurses like this are quiet heros, maybe almost saints.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I've known people who couldn't be happy being anything else. I asked a pediatric oncology nurse one time if her job wasn't depressing and she said not at all, she loved those kids so much and she said that they'll suffer pain whether she sees them or not and if she performs her job well, they'll suffer less pain than they might have and if she does her job with the right compassion which requires being strong for them some times, she can make their burden lighter. And if they die, she can help guide them and help them and their families through that, make their last days better, as good as she can help make them. She sees herself as their rock and their comfort.

Certainly this isn't the right job for everyone. And some nurses like this are quiet heros, maybe almost saints.

Malamute, I completely agree that certain types of nursing takes a special soul. I, for one, am glad for that peds onc nurse that loves her job, because I wouldn't have a dry eye... ever, in that specific specialty. I work in an ER and love what I do and wouldn't change it for anything. That is what makes nursing so great, the versatility for each type of person and the skills they bring.... it's a great profession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment