Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 02:17 PM

418 posts, read 1,382,178 times

Advertisements

I applied for a job and went thru a month of interviews on the phone and in person. I have tried to get in touch with someone in the company to find out the outcome. (last interview was friday) No answer and I have left one message without a return phone call. Today I get on Craigslist to see they have reposted the position. I feel I at least deserved an email, letter, phone call something after that long process. I am pretty upset with the stitution and feel they have handled it very unprofessionally. If you are someone in charge of hiring espically when it comes down to a few canidates, please contact them to advise them of the outcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 02:20 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
I agree, they should have let you know.

We at minimum send an email to anyone who we actually interview (in person or by telephone.)

Sorry it didn't work out for you, but maybe based on what they've done it was for the best.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I agree, they should have let you know.

We at minimum send an email to anyone who we actually interview (in person or by telephone.)

Sorry it didn't work out for you, but maybe based on what they've done it was for the best.
Not so sure about for the best because this was the closest I came to getting a job now that my unemployment has run out.
Now will now be homeless.

Old 06-03-2010, 03:21 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
Darn! I have been following your posts and thought they'd hire you. Sounded good, legit. Didn't you have 2 or 3 interviews?

Can you send a follow up email to confirm this is the job they are reposting? Just something like, "I interviewed for x on these dates. Can you tell me if the position has been filled?"

Anyhow, I'm sorry for you.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Darn! I have been following your posts and thought they'd hire you. Sounded good, legit. Didn't you have 2 or 3 interviews?

Can you send a follow up email to confirm this is the job they are reposting? Just something like, "I interviewed for x on these dates. Can you tell me if the position has been filled?"

Anyhow, I'm sorry for you.
I'm going to keep trying to call them until I get ahold of someone. I feel I deserve SOMETHING as far as acknowledgement.
The only thing I can think of is I do not have any experience in a financal field and that was one of the questions in the last interview which I had to answer no to. But if that was a requirement why didnt they tell me right then and there? Pretty poor handling of the stitution I feel.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:31 PM

438 posts, read 947,143 times
I had this happen to me as well. Went through 4 interviews. They told me they had narrowed the field down to me and 2 other people. I was pulling my hair out waiting for an answer. Called a couple of times and no reply. Eventually I got hold of one interviewer...who told me he had forgot about me. They had filled the position. Sorry. I found it totally unprofessional. Knowing whether you got a job or not is important to people...the least the company can do is bother to let you know you didn't get the position. It is disrespectful to leave folks hanging like this.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:47 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
Don't be too hasty to cast judgement.

I recently went through a similar process--interviewed, never received followup, then saw the position re-advertised. Turned out that although the ad looked quite similar to the first one, they were in fact two different positions in two different departments. The department that advertised first didn't end up hiring at all. The second department did call me for an interview for their position as well. But at the time I saw the second advertisement, I was definitely upset with them. I thought they were being rude.

Maybe this is what happened in OP's case. Or maybe there's some other story--there are millions of things that happen every day in companies, that could be misinterpreted by an outsider.

Regardless, tomorrow's a new day. Being pissed off at them isn't going to get you a job, not with that company or any other, so take an evening to be irritated, and then let it go. Start afresh tomorrow.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:51 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
Yeah, Kodaka, that's what I thought, so I think maybe a 'hey what's up' with the position letter is in order.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:12 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,004,194 times
They don't have to acknowledge you at all if you didn't get hired. It is considered a courtesy for them to notify you somehow, but they are not required to. You should be really careful in how you approach this. Perhaps there is a reason you are not aware of, maybe there is another position opening soon that would be a great fit for you - but if you go in there throwing a hissy right now because they didn't notify you of a job being filled, you will ruin your chances. And you never know who knows who in the professional world - you could easily get blackballed for poor behavior.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:23 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,658,299 times
99% of employers will never follow up with you if you did not get the job. It's just the way it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment