Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Paris, London, or NYC
Paris 202 34.89%
London 177 30.57%
New York City 200 34.54%
Voters: 579. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 09:15 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
London was the worlds largest city for a long period of time.
Indeed it was, but in the modern era I think NYC encapsulates the idea of a big city and big city life better than any other. It was at least the first to do so around the 1920s-30s when the first very tall skyscrapers were being built.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 09:15 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,597,650 times
London also has the worlds oldest subway.. but I guess I've never really cared for skyscrapers myself.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:23 AM

692 posts, read 1,355,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I don't know, there's something so classical about NYC. To me it's the original big city. I've been to many other big cities but none match the magic of the Big Apple.
I am not knocking New York, it's still a wonderful city, it's just not as unique as it once was.

Also you could equally say there was somthing magical about Paris or indeed London. Both cities are very beautiful and historic, and pre-date New York.

New York was probably the worlds first great skyscraper metropolis (although I am sure people from Chicago will dispute this) but even this is not enough to make it unique today, with skyscrapers and impressive skylines far more common in other rival cities.

I suppose a few of the art deco skyscrapers in New York are unique, although personally I feel that I often walk past skyscrapers without even noticing them and skylines are best viewed from afar.

As for the rest of the world catching up, and New York losing it's edgeness, I think they are valid points.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulhall View Post
I am not knocking New York, it's still a wonderful city, it's just not as unique as it once was.

Also you could equally say there was somthing magical about Paris or indeed London. Both cities are very beautiful and historic, and pre-date New York.

New York was probably the worlds first great skyscraper metropolis (although I am sure people from Chicago will dispute this) but even this is not enough to make it unique today, with skyscrapers and impressive skylines far more common in other rival cities.

I suppose a few of the art deco skyscrapers in New York are unique, although personally I feel that I often walk past skyscrapers without even noticing them and skylines are best viewed from afar.

As for the rest of the world catching up, and New York losing it's edgeness, I think they are valid points.
I think what makes NY unique is hard to pin down...

It really is a 'state of mind.' Maybe it's because of the media, but I think of New York as a mini-universe. No other city has that 'otherness' to it.

You can tell me about Tokyo's bullet trains and 35 million megapolis...

About London or Paris' architecture or history...

But I don't know, NYC has always seemed magical to me, before and after I visited it.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
I think what makes NY unique is hard to pin down...

It really is a 'state of mind.' Maybe it's because of the media, but I think of New York as a mini-universe. No other city has that 'otherness' to it.

You can tell me about Tokyo's bullet trains and 35 million megapolis...

About London or Paris' architecture or history...

But I don't know, NYC has always seemed magical to me, before and after I visited it.
I suppose you are entitled have your own personal view of the city. Even if it is one that some people think is a touch like looking through rose tinted spectacles.

I suppose people who love London or Paris will see something special in their love affair with their city.

All I am saying is that many of the things that at one time made NYC unique are not so unique to New York anymore such as the 24 hour city, the diversity or even skyscrapers. Whilst NYC itself has changed a massive amount, and today is far more gentrified, corporate and disneyfied than the gritty New York of old, which was brought to our cinema and tv screens by Martin Scorsese and numerous others. The New York that bought the world everything from punk to hip hop, which had it's social problems but was always so much more exciting than some boring corporate financial hub or disneyfied gentrified tourist attraction.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
I suppose you are entitled have your own personal view of the city. Even if it is one that some people think is a touch like looking through rose tinted spectacles.

I suppose people who love London or Paris will see something special in their love affair with their city.

All I am saying is that many of the things that at one time made NYC unique are not so unique to New York anymore such as the 24 hour city, the diversity or even skyscrapers. Whilst NYC itself has changed a massive amount, and today is far more gentrified, corporate and disneyfied than the gritty New York of old, which was brought to our cinema and tv screens by Scorcese and others. The New York that bought the world everything from punk to hip hop, which had it's social problems but was always so much more exciting than some boring corporate financial hub or disneyfied gentrified tourist attraction.
I'm not disputing that...those things haven't been unique to NYC for a long time. What I'm saying is there is a quality, yes one viewed through rose-tinted glasses (largely through the media and pop culture) about NYC that I don't get anywhere else. It's like a self contained universe, something I don't imagine I'd feel in London or Tokyo even though I've admittedly not been there.

NYC has far more famous sites packed into it - world famous sites, than any other city. Only London can really come close with Paris third.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
I'm not disputing that...those things haven't been unique to NYC for a long time. What I'm saying is there is a quality, yes one viewed through rose-tinted glasses (largely through the media and pop culture) about NYC that I don't get anywhere else. It's like a self contained universe, something I don't imagine I'd feel in London or Tokyo even though I've admittedly not been there.

NYC has far more famous sites packed into it - world famous sites, than any other city. Only London can really come close with Paris third.
I am not sure New York has more historic sites than Paris, but I suppose in terms of cinematic filming location it is probably filmed more than any other city.

Saying that London is also used in a lot of films and ones most Americans won't even be aware of. For instance George Lucas was a big fan of the special effects here, and as a result a lot of the Star Wars films were filmed near London. Spielberg was also a fan of our studios and a lot of the Indiana Jones trilogy was filmed here, and the same is true of the Superman films and numerous other films. Whilst John Williams and the London Symphony Orchestra provided much of the famous music for these films.

Stanley Kubrick lived in Hertfordshire just above London and also tended to film in the UK (he was rumoured to dislike air travel). Kubrick's 'The Shining was nearly all filmed near London, including the famous 'Here's Johnny Scene'. 'Full Metal Jacket' was also almost entirely filmed here, with Beckton Gas Works standing in for Vietnam.

Tim Burton is another director who likes using UK Studios, particuarly the 3 Mills Studios in East London, and his close friend Johnny Depp also enjoys filming here.

Warner Bros has recently ploughed a good deal of money in to the new Leavesden Studios in Herfordshire, an old Rolls Royce factory used to film the Harry Potter films but now set to be used as Warner Bros's European filming hub.

Other major studios close to London include Pinewood, Shepperton, Elstree, Ealing, Teddington and Wimbledon. Even the British Classic Horror film production company Hammer has see a revival in recet years

Last edited by Mulhall; 03-26-2012 at 10:13 AM..

Old 03-26-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
I am not sure New York has more historic sites than Paris, but I suppose in terms of cinematic filming location it is probably filmed more than any other city.

Saying that London is also used in a lot of films and ones most Americans won't even be aware of. For instance George Lucas was a big fan of the special effects here, and as a result a lot of the Star Wars films were filmed in London. Spielberg was also a fan of our studios and a lot of the Indiana Jones trilogy was filmed here, and the same is true of the Superman films and numerous other films. Whilst John Williams and the London Symphony Orchestra provided much of the famous music for these films.

Stanley Kubrick also lived in Hertfordshire just above London, also tended to film in the UK (he was rumoured to dislike air travel). Kubrick's 'The Shining was nearly all filmed near London, including the famous 'Here's Johnny Scene'. 'Full Metal Jacket' was also entirely filmed here, with Beckton Gas Works standing in for Vietnam.
True, London definitely has it's charms...but when I think 'big city' NY comes to mind.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:08 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,597,650 times
New York is just very dense. London is less dense and is spread out over a larger area, going by city boundaries of course.

But I guess it's all down to preference. I don't like 'big city' very much. I've not been to New York yet, but have been to London and Paris. I'd feel that New York would almost suffocate me, and me being very claustrophobic.. I think the towering buildings of New York would get to me eventually.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
New York is just very dense. London is less dense and is spread out over a larger area, going by city boundaries of course.

But I guess it's all down to preference. I don't like 'big city' very much. I've not been to New York yet, but have been to London and Paris. I'd feel that New York would almost suffocate me, and me being very claustrophobic.. I think the towering buildings of New York would get to me eventually.
I don't know how the City of London administrative region compares to New York City - the five boroughs. I usually count metropolitan area. In this case the NYC is bigger than Greater London, spreading it's tentacles into CT as well as being largely in northern NJ (hence the 'tri-state' area). About 22 million live in this vast metropolis, as opposed to about 14 million in Greater London.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World