Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Paris, London, or NYC
Paris 202 34.89%
London 177 30.57%
New York City 200 34.54%
Voters: 579. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 09:40 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times

Advertisements

^ I love the LED screens, that's what makes Times Square. You don't see it a lot outside of Asia. I think Tokyo probably overdoes it but even in NYC name me a place with a lot of neon billboards outside Times Square.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 09:44 AM

692 posts, read 1,355,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
^ I love the LED screens, that's what makes Times Square. You don't see it a lot outside of Asia. I think Tokyo probably overdoes it but even in NYC name me a place with a lot of neon billboards outside Times Square.
Las Vegas??

All seems quite tacky to me.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:48 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,037 times
Your really loved up with New York are you Trimac20!

Its a greatcity but neon lights isn't what makes it great.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulhall View Post
Las Vegas??

All seems quite tacky to me.
Well yeah, I don't think it pretends to be anything else...

Hey I appreciate old architecture and all that jazz, but there is a place for that sort of 'tackiness'. Vegas or Orlando is known for it's tackiness, people know that yet they still come to have fun. Their goal isn't to gain a better understanding of Gothic architecture. Besides, there are only so many old churches one can appreciate.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Your really loved up with New York are you Trimac20!

Its a greatcity but neon lights isn't what makes it great.
I think I've had a love affair with it since before I visited (but no, I don't own a tacky I love NY T-shirt)...it's got this quality about it I don't find anywhere else. It's one of the few places that EXACTLY matched my expectations of visiting. And I never anticipating visiting any other city as much as NY.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Well yeah, I don't think it pretends to be anything else...

Hey I appreciate old architecture and all that jazz, but there is a place for that sort of 'tackiness'. Vegas or Orlando is known for it's tackiness, people know that yet they still come to have fun. Their goal isn't to gain a better understanding of Gothic architecture. Besides, there are only so many old churches one can appreciate.
This kind of tackiness might work in Vegas but I liked Time Square much more before the disney lights personally.

Give me sanity and London thankyou - lol

Last edited by Mulhall; 03-27-2012 at 10:47 AM..

Old 03-27-2012, 12:32 PM

1,327 posts, read 2,605,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weber74 View Post
NY is a claass of is own. But London has more style. And i dont really like Paris, its too expansive and posh for me.
Paris is not more expensive than NYC or London.
Paris is also not that posh, obviously if you solely stick to the stereotypes you may not notice it but the reality of Paris is different to what we see in Hollywood movies.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
Paris is not more expensive than NYC or London.
Paris is also not that posh, obviously if you solely stick to the stereotypes you may not notice it but the reality of Paris is different to what we see in Hollywood movies.
I agree, Paris is no more expensive than London and New York.

I wouldn't listen to sterotypes, according to American sterotypes we Brits have the worst teeth in the world (when according to the OECD International Studies - we have the best teeth in the entire world) and you French are cowards and not very good at fighting war, which is fairly weird given that the French have conquered most of Europe and indeed a lot of the world, and even helped the Americans beat us Brits during their 'War of Independence' - hardly cowardly and France has always had very good military forces.

The 5 Most Statistically Full of **** National Stereotypes | Cracked.com

Tooth decay: Say “aaaarrrghhhh”! | The Economist

British Kids Have The Best Teeth, New Study Shows - ParentDish

Old 03-29-2012, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulhall View Post
I agree, Paris is no more expensive than London and New York.

I wouldn't listen to sterotypes, according to American sterotypes we Brits have the worst teeth in the world (when according to the OECD International Studies - we have the best teeth in the entire world) and you French are cowards and not very good at fighting war, which is fairly weird given that the French have conquered most of Europe and indeed a lot of the world, and even helped the Americans beat us Brits during their 'War of Independence' - hardly cowardly and France has always had very good military forces.

The 5 Most Statistically Full of **** National Stereotypes | Cracked.com

Tooth decay: Say “aaaarrrghhhh”! | The Economist

British Kids Have The Best Teeth, New Study Shows - ParentDish
I think the statistic of the French being lovers not fighters is partly true, as they have sex on average among the most times a year out of any country lol.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:36 AM

1,118 posts, read 2,286,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
There is too many bus operators (especially in New York) to make easy comparaisons.
I believe that Paris has the lowest bus ridership of those cities, while quite well used, I can't say that buses are very popular in Paris.

London, New York and Paris have all tram lines in the periphery but none in the center.
In order from highest to lowest:

TfL: 6m+ per day (can't find an exact figure)
RATP: 3.6m per day
MTA: 2.2m per day

Rides per person per day:

London: .774 (7.753m people in Greater London)
Paris .307 (11.729m people in ÃŽle-de-France)
New York City: .272 (8.175m people in New York City, this does not include suburbs due to fragmentation of data and incomparable land use)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
The London underground is only shut for 4 hours at late night and the night buses are good enough to get around, what makes you think New Yorks bus network is better than Londons?
As a New Yorker who's spent a lot of time in London, I can attest they're not. However, the subway is good for most journeys that could be taken by bus, so it's really a redundancy. The only instances where buses are heavily used are express buses, particularly those to Staten Island, which has no subway service, and the more suburban sections of Queens without subway service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World