Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 07:30 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times

Advertisements

I always thought the idea that all Aryans were blonde and blue-eyed was silly.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:32 PM

314 posts, read 759,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
According to Moroccans, they are all "Arabs". Berberisc and Amazigh are repressed.
During the Arab invasion of the year 711, their pyramid of power in Spain was:

Arabs (Syria, Yemen, Irak), they were just a few thousand.
Berbers (Cannon fodder, they always received the bad lands).
Muladies (Hispano Romans and Hispano Goths converted to Islamism).
Dimmis (Christians and Jews that paid a tax and that in most cases were treated like dirt).

Since Arabs and Berbers were very few in a country of 6 to 7 million people, they had to resort to mercenaries to fight between themselves.

Sou you had a Caliph or Emir surrounded by Christian Mercenaries fighting against Berberiscs that also empleyed Christian mercenaries.

They used mercenaries from everywhere, you had Catalans (called Franks by Arabs), North Europeans (called Slavics) and they even hired Vikings. There were also Castillian mercenaries (El Cid), etc, etc.

At the end, Muslim Spain was quartered in different kingdoms called Taifas and they lost force.

The Arabs invaders did not "conquer" Spain according to new evidence. In most cases, the muslim army arrived in front of the walls of any city and explained to the the Goth governor that if he become a muslim, all his privileges would be respected. So they all converted to Islam. Many Goths did not like Catholicism since they were Arrians.

That's caus most modern Morrocans are seeds of the arab Islamic conquers of North Africa...I'm not gonna even comment on the rest of the nonsense you posted cause it's not worth the time entertaining it

Old 01-18-2012, 07:37 PM

314 posts, read 759,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
This is why I hate the "white" moniker. It doesn't really stick. Blonde-haired, blue eyed people live in Afghanistan and US forces were initially shocked at seeing some Taliban being that, and assumed they were foreign at first.

Middle Easterners are a hodgepodge and so are many "whites." Why do you think southern Italian women are so tanned and brown? Same goes for many Spaniards too. Survey says, DING! North African descent is somewhere in the past there.

Call me a radical, but whenever I mark my "race" on the census, I call myself "human."

You ever heard of the Moorish rule of Europe...I agree that the more Caucasian appearance North Africans history/roots interwined with Southern Europeans but i'm sure for not the same reasons as you

Old 01-18-2012, 07:42 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,550,038 times
I don't think about people as white, non-white, Jewish, or Muslim, etc. I think about people in terms of their behaviors, like are they kind, thoughtful of others, and do they act in accordance to the needs of their community as well as their self and their family. I think of them as a person.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:52 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brother's keeper View Post
What is considered Berbers today are people of largely a mixture of Eurasian(white,arab) and black/idigenous influences with inviduals leaning more one way or the other(usually arab)

Those langagues the socalled Berbers speak or idigenous to the origianl black people of North Africa but were passed down to former European slaves of the Ancient Moors.
I don't know why some people have a hard time accepting that Berbers are Indigenous African people and that they have had their own culture long before any foreign invasion or colonization.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:26 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I don't know why some people have a hard time accepting that Berbers are Indigenous African people and that they have had their own culture long before any foreign invasion or colonization.
I agree that when they migrated there, there probably was nobody else before them as it happened at least ten thousand years ago.

Black people, Bantus specifically, on the other hand migrated from Cameroon to the Congo and all the other parts south of the imagined Eastern extension of the West Coast line just a couple of millennia ago. 3k years ago there were no black Africans in what is now Angola, Tanzania, South Africa, etc. yet, it was all Bushman land or uninhabited.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:56 AM

114 posts, read 624,334 times
I consider a lot of Middle Easterners white, and in the US many of them (Levantines, Assyrians, Armenians) can blend in with Italian and Greek Americans well.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:50 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,264,432 times
what many people don't understand is that "races" are artificial grouping. There exist variantions between human groups, but these variations are a continuum and not spearated genetic "races". You don't have "whites" on one side and "non-whites" on the other. You progressively pass from aras with many tall/blond/blue eyed peoples in Scandinavia to regions of Dark black people in central Africa progressively, passing thru "central-European" looking areas, "mediterranean-looking" areas, north-African looking areas, Saharian-looking areas, and finally black Africa in sub-saharian areas...

The idea of "race" whas mainly strongly developped in the USA, where have been confronted people of the two extremities of this continuum (wtih obviouly very strong visible features), giving the wrong idea that they were "two races"; they are actually two different part of the human continuum, with so many shades inbetween...

Old 01-25-2012, 06:33 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
The preference for blond women seems to prevail even in our modern societies, not just in primitive ones. Just a few days ago I read somewhere that so far 27 Miss America winners were blond, more than all winners with other hair colors combined
I don't know about this. The Mediterranean look has dominated over the past 15-20 years or so. Pretty sure Venezuela and Puerto Rico are the world leaders. You have to remember the limited diversity in previous Miss Universe competitions.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:54 AM

604 posts, read 1,521,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Yes. Anthropologically speaking Middle Eastern ( and North African) people are as white as someone from England or Norway.

People always seem to assume race and ethnicity are interchangeable words for some reason.

LOL you do realize under this definition people from Somali and Ethiopia are "white" as well. The term white and caucasian are not the same thing.

Are middle eastern and North Africa white? NO

Are they caucasian? Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World