Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 09:01 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

Yes the two cultures are pretty different...British humour is more ironic, sarcastic, and wordy, although there is plenty of comedic overlap. I think Americans and Britons generally GET one another, aside from a few words and concepts, but for being English speaking nations they are pretty different.

Btw, most Muslim immigrants to Britain come from Pakistan, Bangladesh and Muslim India, although there are Turks, Iranians, Moroccans, Algerians etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 09:08 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,476 times
I like the British humour! Though to be honest, I don't get why British TV shows, especially comedies, often need to have theirs remade into another "American" version.

Come on, it's not like it's a foreign language or something.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
I like the British humour! Though to be honest, I don't get why British TV shows, especially comedies, often need to have theirs remade into another "American" version.

Come on, it's not like it's a foreign language or something.
Exactly. does Canada get more British programming?

Every remake has sucked, except the Office.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

We do get some of the British shows here, though I don't know if I'd say it's "a lot" compared to the number of American shows.

I actually haven't watched TV in a while to be honest, so I'm not fully up to date as to what's on cable. Some of the ones not airing here (or if it did, I must have missed it), I watched online, like the "IT Crowd" (I thought that one was really funny).

I remember there were quite a few when I was younger too. Mr. Bean was really popular I remember since I remember my classmates talked about it on the playground a lot in the early 90s.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:42 PM

I also remember quite fondly kids' shows that were British like Postman Pat, Thomas the Tank Engine etc.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:03 PM

Yep we got all those...IT Crowd is funny. We also got a lot of Canadian shows like Babar and later on Angela Anaconda, Bear in the Big Blue House, some I can't recall the names of.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:00 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:

Since cable and satellite TV options have exploded in Canada, you can get a lot of British stuff here if you want it. And even if you don't, channels carrying British programming are often part of your package, though on the upper echelons like channel 279...

The mainstream networks in Canada do not carry that much British programming, and it is extremely rare to see stuff from the UK on the main channels in prime viewing hours. The CBC does carry the odd British series(Coronation Street is the prime example and is the only constant I'd say) and occasionally a British mini-series, but the CBC's content is very predominantly Canadian. The other main Canadian networks which are private overwhelmingly show American programming, with a smidgen of Canadian stuff they are required to carry by law.

Characters and actors from popular British shows like Eastenders are nowhere near household names in Canada like they would be close to being in Australia and New Zealand, for example.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Since cable and satellite TV options have exploded in Canada, you can get a lot of British stuff here if you want it. And even if you don't, channels carrying British programming are often part of your package, though on the upper echelons like channel 279...

The mainstream networks in Canada do not carry that much British programming, and it is extremely rare to see stuff from the UK on the main channels in prime viewing hours. The CBC does carry the odd British series(Coronation Street is the prime example and is the only constant I'd say) and occasionally a British mini-series, but the CBC's content is very predominantly Canadian. The other main Canadian networks which are private overwhelmingly show American programming, with a smidgen of Canadian stuff they are required to carry by law.

Characters and actors from popular British shows like Eastenders are nowhere near household names in Canada like they would be close to being in Australia and New Zealand, for example.
Actually they don't even show Eastenders or Coronation Street here, except older episodes on one of the dozens of digital channels. I have no idea who any of the characters are. In contrast Neighbours and Home and Away have always been popular in the UK for some reason.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:28 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Actually they don't even show Eastenders or Coronation Street here, except older episodes on one of the dozens of digital channels. I have no idea who any of the characters are. In contrast Neighbours and Home and Away have always been popular in the UK for some reason.
Interesting. Perhaps my view of this aspect of Australia is outdated. Do the main Australian networks show other British comedy and drama series in prime time then?

(I did know about Aussie soapies being popular in the UK...)

Old 02-10-2012, 02:29 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,159,005 times
American culture is just like the culture in the UK, Aus, NZ some say, very wrong, take sport, an American would have no idea what was happening when a test match was taking place, an Indian, West Indian and other former loyal colonies outside of Canada would.
The Canadians seem confused, are they the Northern states of the USA in culture and sport ?

Michael Holding batters Brian Close, Old Trafford 1976 - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World