Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2013, 04:11 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,095,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
I stayed in Manhattan. Like most tourists, I didn't venture outside of it. Why should I have, though? Judging from newspaper articles I've read, some of the other areas of the city are getting just as bad if not worse. I'm not blaming New Yorkers for their city's downfall, I'm blaming elitist politicians, corporate greed, disdain for the poor, an increasingly transient population and indifference to the welfare of the working and middle class. I'm not saying it's not happening in other places, but boy oh boy, it's by far the worst I've ever seen it in New York. Even the bulldozed, concrete cores of Toronto and Montreal have more charm than New York, with all its "brownstones" intact. Who gives a flying feather about architecture, anyways? If I want pretty things to look at, I go to an art gallery. I don't walk around a neighbourhood going "Ooh, look at that old building. I want to flip it! I want to flip it!" New York might as well have a 7:00 curfew at this point. No liveliness whatsoever. Just a bunch of rich 20 somethings from out of town, goofing around like they're at an amusement park, tired faces scraping by on what they still can, as the cost of living keeps skyrocketting, and for lease signs going up on the windows of what were local shops to make way for the next Starbucks. Go back a few pages and read some of my previous posts and the articles I provided links to, if you want to understand why I feel how I do about New York.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Haha sorry couldn't resist... No disrespect to Windsor but you know...
Windsor's a great town with a lot of history. I've never heard someone call it a boring place before.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:19 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,298,616 times
Quote:
Windsor's a great town with a lot of history. I've never heard someone call it a boring place before.
So Windsor is more exciting to you than NYC?

Old 07-25-2013, 04:21 PM
pdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
So Windsor is more exciting to you than NYC?
I would have to spend more time there to find out. Judging from what I already know about both cities, yes. Size doesn't equal excitement for me. Some people feel a rush when seeing skyscrapers tower around them and a seemingly endless flow of people from all directions. I don't.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:31 PM

Quote:
I would have to spend more time there to find out. Judging from what I already know about both cities, yes. Size doesn't equal excitement for me. Some people feel a rush when seeing skyscrapers tower around them and a seemingly endless flow of people from all directions. I don't.
Oh I have no issue with that, just wanted to know where you stand. For all I know you might think that a morgue is the most exciting place in the world. Who am I to judge?

Old 07-25-2013, 04:44 PM
pdw

You've been ignoring the points I've brought up and instead tried to bombard me with insults. I'm not wasting my time here until people actually read my other posts and discuss what I have brought up there.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
You've been ignoring the points I've brought up and instead tried to bombard me with insults. I'm not wasting my time here until people actually read my other posts and discuss what I have brought up there.
What insults? I just said you are entitled to your own opinion (however abnormal it may be). I am sure there are other people who will try to convince you that NY is not boring, I am just not one of them.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:05 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times
Houston

Old 07-25-2013, 06:50 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times
pdw
I'll only tackle one tiny angle of your latest salvo against New York as being a "boring" city before I summarize & close off on this thread.
You wrote, "Who gives a flying feather about architecture, anyways?"
Geesh! I sure as heck do care & I barely studied architecture. I just appreciate many facets of it, as you claim you do about art, and New York in all 5 boroughs is a fascinating laboratory of design.
I see that your New York bashing has a political/social agenda as it's root base. I'm definitely left of center socially & politically but the only time I've encountered such empty & pointless platitudes like yours have been face to face from a Montrealer who held barely disguised hatred for the States & a West German who had similar feelings.
You have a political agenda as most of us do but coming on here & trying to incite incredulity & hard feelings with this is not helping to promote it favorably. It only comes off as rank amateurishness & childishness.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:12 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,423,753 times
Quote:
I stayed in Manhattan. Like most tourists, I didn't venture outside of it. Why should I have, though.
Because there's more to NYC than Manhattan.

No, not everyone enjoys the big busy city and tall buildings and I understand that. But an aversion to that taste doesn't automatically equal boring. There's so much in NYC that I don't see how anyone could be bored. Perhaps better planning could have helped.

I'm sorry you found it boring.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:35 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,035 times
Quote:
Toronto is easily more intersting than Manhattan, although it's been suffering from similar problems in recent years. I went all over the flipping island and felt the whole city could be "Anytown, USA", or better yet, "Anytown, Earth". I don't have a problem, I know what non-dull is and New York is not it.
Toronto is more interesting than Manhattan? Let's compare:

Toronto has the 5 theatres of Mirvish Productions. New York has the dozens of theatres of Broadway, where most apiring and veteran stage talent alike flock for the chance to perform therein.

Toronto has the ROM and the AGO. New York has the Metropolitan Museum of Art (the largest museum of it's kind outside the Louvre). Additionally, it has the American Museum of Natural History, the Frick Collection, The Guggenheim and the MOMA, most of which are bigger than the ROM and AGO combined.

Toronto has Yuk Yuk's and Second City. New York has the world famous Gotham Comedy Club, Caroline's, the Comedy Cellar and the Upright Citizen's Brigade, all of which are visited regularly by famous comdians such as Dave Attel, Amy Poehler, Chris Rock, Louis C.K., Jim Norton, Dave Chapelle, etc. etc. and who still perform at on a regular basis.

Manhattan is home to such shopping meccas as Bloomingdale's, Macy's, Sak's Fith Avenue, and Fifth avenue in general. Toronto has the Hudson's Bay Company and Bloor Street - and I can't name one world-famous shopping destination on the latter.

Manhattan is reknown as a world-class culinary destination that is home to dozens of famous restaurants showcasing world-famous chefs and their gastronomic expertise. Toronto? Not so much.

New York is home to dozens of iconic architectural masterpieces including the Crystler Building, the Empire State Building, the Brooklyn Bridge, the Statue of Liberty, Grand Central Station, Radio City Music Hall, the Woolworth Building and the New York Public Library. Toronto has the CN Tower.

New York is not only a city where world famous musicians, comedians, media figures, politicians, entertainers and business leaders call home, but (via Ellis Island) was a major entry point into North America where millions of immigrants took their first steps on North American soil. In fact, it is estimated that 25% of the American population (and a great deal of Canadians as well) can trace one or more family members through that point of entry. This makes New York a city of historical significance for everyone, and not just a home for the well-to-do.

"Toronto is just like New York – without all the stuff!" -- Steve Martin to Tina Fey on 30 Rock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World