Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 10:58 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,128,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggo View Post
So what now, are American cities culturally similar, (as you said above, but referring only to first world countries which the USA is part of), or "completly culturally different" als Chicagoist said?

I've lived in Barcelona. Spent lots of time in London, Lyon and Milan. My lifestyle didn't change that much.

I spoke in a different language and some of the appliances I used were slightly different. Restaurant menus were often different - but then my city has some of the best Italian, Spanish and French restaurants in the country - so if i want that food I can get it. That's rare outside of the biggest cities in Europe.

What I did during the day, how I moved from place to place, the things I talked about, the things I read, the kind of people I hung out with, the movies i watched, what I did in my spare time - none of that changed.
Places can be different while still offering a similar experience.

Now, If you want to talk about food, architecture, accents, religions, ethnic background, laws, history, etc. Then yes, many american cities can be very different from one another. As much or more so than many European cities.

There's such a thing as nuance. Nice try, though.

Also - If you think these places are architecturally similar you must be from another planet

philadelphia, pa - Google Maps

seattle - Google Maps

New Orleans - Google Maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 11:20 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentobox34 View Post
Sorry, I guess I committed the same type of generalization I was criticizing. I lived in NYC. I had issues with the lack of fresh ingredients I was used to, the lack of the type of Mexican food I like, and the lack of vegetarian options in general. There is some incredible food in NYC, but only being able to buy a fresh avocado 2 months out of the year really got to me.

At the same time, I have friends from over there who visit California and gripe that everyone eats salads all the time and there is no decent Italian food or bagels. So I'm not trying to say one place is inherently superior to the other in terms of food, just that there are definite differences.
Maybe the adage, "When in Rome..." applies.

Instead of eating that rock hard avocado in disappointment, you should have tried some Jersey sweet corn and egglant or Hudson Valley onions, garlic or asparagus. You know, eat what the area is known for growing well. As far as cuisines in New York, well there aren't many Mexicans around, but there are tons of Caribbeans of all types. Maybe try some Caribbean cuisine.

I have never heard of someone going to France and saying "There was no good food. The sushi was awful."

Old 08-01-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentobox34 View Post
Sorry, I guess I committed the same type of generalization I was criticizing. I lived in NYC. I had issues with the lack of fresh ingredients I was used to, the lack of the type of Mexican food I like, and the lack of vegetarian options in general. There is some incredible food in NYC, but only being able to buy a fresh avocado 2 months out of the year really got to me.
Did you live in Staten Island or something?

Granted, you can never get fresh avocados on the east coast because they all come from California or Mexico but there are really only 3 months (at least in Philly anyway) where we're not getting veggies trucked in overnight from Virginia, the Carolinas, Georgia, etc.

Anyway, NYC basically invented the 24-hour vegan diner. Put "Veggie" in front of any kind of food and you can find it Williamsburg alone.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:52 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Quote:
The Americans say "the Europeans xxx" out of arrogance as well as ignorance. How many American actually have visited more than 4 or 5 European countries anyway to make such a statement?
Per capita, Americans visit Europe at twice the rate that EU citizens visit the US.

Quote:
The US despite its vastness and diversity, is incredible homogeneous. People eat essentially the same kind of food, go to the same stores, drive the same car, live in the same kind of suburban houses with very few exceptions. Most cities look similar. Yes, NYC is different and there are difference among smaller cities as well, but in general, they are pretty homogeneous.
Bull ****.

Typical Texas Hill Country ranch home:

Typical Ohio farm house:

Typical Appalachian farmhouse:

Typical West Coast farmhouse:

Typical Louisiana farmhouse:

Typical New England breakfast:

Typical Southern breakfast:

Typical Southwestern breakfast:

Typical Creole/Cajun breakfast:

Typical California breakfast

Typical "cowboy breakfast:"

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 08-01-2012 at 10:02 PM..

Old 08-01-2012, 10:13 PM

Today I went to Dallas. I went to KoMart (a huge Korean market). Last week I went to Shreveport, Louisiana and stocked up on goodies from my favorite Lebanese grocery store. Next week I may go to Fort Worth and stock up on southwestern spices and peppers. And don't even get me started on the foods available in Houston!

A new restaurant just opened up downtown - they serve a pungent mixture of California and Tex Mex menu items. YUM!

About a month ago, in my LITTLE TOWN, a Pho (vietnamese) restaurant opened up. It's jam packed every day. Finally I decided I would just learn how to make pho so I don't have to stand in line to get some. So I went to the nearby Vietnamese/Thai grocery.

Living in Texas, the Tex Mex food is AMAZING.

We are a nation of immigrants and our culinary delights and options reflect our diversity. Sure we have chains - so what? If you don't like them, don't eat there. Eat at locally owned restaurants and ENJOY!

We are a nation of immigrants and our food reflects it.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Per capita, Americans visit Europe at twice the rate that EU citizens visit the US.

Typical New England breakfast:
Love it! My favorite breakfast is a short stack of pancakes w/ a side of bacon or sausage

The ultimate Jersey breakfast - pork roll, egg & cheese on a hard roll

http://www.roadfood.com/photos/11208.jpg

In southeast PA it's pretty much the same thing but with Scrapple or sausage instead and here it's called a kaiser roll and usually doesn't have poppy seeds.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:25 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,319,991 times
It's even the little things. Here in Chicago brunch is like a ritual on Sundays. Everyone does brunch! However when I went to visit LA and SF my friends who lived there said they miss brunch. They said while it can be found in those two cities it's not very popular to do onsundays nor is it found everywhere. That's it's not part of those cities cultures. It's the little things like that show you the difference of cultures in cities. Brunch is a big part of Chicago on Sundays.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
Love it! My favorite breakfast is a short stack of pancakes w/ a side of bacon or sausage

The ultimate Jersey breakfast - pork roll, egg & cheese on a hard roll

http://www.roadfood.com/photos/11208.jpg

In southeast PA it's pretty much the same thing but with Scrapple or sausage instead and here it's called a kaiser roll and usually doesn't have poppy seeds.
Now, see - down here in Texas - I don't even know what scrapple is - and can't remember ever even buying a kaiser roll in my entire life!

But I love to make breakfast taquitos on corn tortillas! Nothing quite like a jalapeno pepper to get you moving in the morning!

Old 08-02-2012, 07:21 AM

770 posts, read 1,177,859 times
I'm so hungry.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
It's even the little things. Here in Chicago brunch is like a ritual on Sundays. Everyone does brunch! However when I went to visit LA and SF my friends who lived there said they miss brunch. They said while it can be found in those two cities it's not very popular to do onsundays nor is it found everywhere. That's it's not part of those cities cultures. It's the little things like that show you the difference of cultures in cities. Brunch is a big part of Chicago on Sundays.
Brunch was a big thing when I lived in Virginia and Maryland too. Here in Texas it's unheard of. People go to church on Sunday mornings!

But a big Sunday dinner is practically required.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World