Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2012, 09:54 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
That post was in reaction to posts from Canadians slamming the US.

If Canadians can engage in that behaviour, so can I. Btw, I got tons of rep points with comments saying things like it was about time somebody called Canadians on their rude behviour toward Americans.

I've been to Toronto. I had a friend of mine working for a pharmaceutical company move there for two years. I went there to visit, and was invited to a house party. Had Canadians there say to me "wow, am suprised you have a passport", etc. etc. They were rude and insulting. And then I see Canadians flooding American warm weather resorts where they barely open their mouth or say a nasty word about the US.
I have to say that my limited experience with Canadians hasn't been all sweet and precious. I am sure there are many great Canadians out there whose company is delightful - and I'd love to meet a few of them to offset the experiences I've had so far.

My husband used to be in upper mgmt for a company that was bought by a Canadian company which opted to leave current mgmt in place. So part of his job became entertaining "top dogs" and engineers out of Canada when they came down to tour or train or whatever. As his wife, that soon became part of my job as well.

Though we live in a great region nestled nicely between several large cities, our town itself is small and in a rural area. In other words, lots of us are far from "country bumpkins" and chose to live here SPECIFICALLY because it offers the best of both worlds - close proximity to a major metroplex (Dallas/Fort Worth) and several very nice smaller cities (Tyler, Longview, Shreveport - with Houston three hours away), PLUS the benefits of "country living" - spacious and affordable homes and land, quaint small towns with bustling town squares around historical courthouses, beautiful lakes, lots of hunting and fishing and horse and cattle farms, etc etc.

Anyway, most of these guys came down from Toronto. Yes, from Toronto - a huge international metroplex - to a small town in Texas. Now - if I had gone from Dallas/Fort Worth to a small town in Canada, I would have noticed the inevitable differences between a large cosmopolitan metroplex and a little country town. I wouldn't have been so arrogant or short sighted to assume that the small town represented the height of available sophistication in Canada.

Not these guys.

Besides immediately buying ridiculous western wear (the largest hats and belt buckles they could find - compensation issues perhaps? ) including the flashiest, most ridiculous cowboy boots imaginable - and truly awful western cut shirts that looked the Roy Rogers knockoffs - these guys then proceeded to make one sarcastic comment after another about Texas and the US in general - all the while quaffing down Lone Star beer and BBQ with Texans.

I honestly could not believe that this caliber of person was actually college educated and in management in a large international company.

Now - if I was as small minded and prejudiced as those guys, I'd assume that most Canadians were as rude and arrogant as they are. But I'm sure that's not the case.

I have quite a few European friends, on the other hand, who are a pure joy to be around. They are curious about the US, and we have many spirited discussions about the pros and cons of different European countries and the US - but without exception they are polite and upbeat about the US, with many positive opinions which balance their negative observations. We visit them and they visit us from time to time, and we are often bemused by what they enjoy about the US, and they are often bemused by what we enjoy about Europe.

Without exception, western countries all have positive and negative characteristics -as well as friendly and unfriendly citizens, those who are arrogant and self righteous, and those who are humble and realistic.

There's no shame in loving one's country and being grateful for the lifestyle one has in that country. Don't assume that love and gratitude are BLIND.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:14 PM

362 posts, read 665,840 times
I visited many countries around the world, however, I would still must rather live in the USA. Yes, I am aware of it's problems, but I still like what the USA has to offer better than most other countries. Does this make patriotic or ignorant? No, because there are no perfect countries.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:12 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,138,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahtoz View Post
Americans are not europeans. Or, they are the slaves and pions who came from Europe....the cast offs, the thieves, the pions, and anyone else who had nothing but wanting terrific revenge for being so poor. So they came to america, with all their greedy hope and took over. I think that makes a lot of stink. Everyone smells it.
Welcome to City-Data. Hope you pick your game up a bit!

Old 11-30-2012, 05:16 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,138,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I've been to Toronto. I had a friend of mine working for a pharmaceutical company move there for two years. I went there to visit, and was invited to a house party. Had Canadians there say to me "wow, am suprised you have a passport", etc. etc. They were rude and insulting. And then I see Canadians flooding American warm weather resorts where they barely open their mouth or say a nasty word about the US.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Anyway, most of these guys came down from Toronto. Yes, from Toronto - a huge international metroplex - to a small town in Texas. Now - if I had gone from Dallas/Fort Worth to a small town in Canada, I would have noticed the inevitable differences between a large cosmopolitan metroplex and a little country town. I wouldn't have been so arrogant or short sighted to assume that the small town represented the height of available sophistication in Canada.
Not to open a completely unrelated can of worms, but I believe you guys are onto something here

Old 11-30-2012, 05:24 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times
You guys wanna see some funny Canadians, check out the comments on this news article.

New tourism ad makes U.S. look like Canada - World - CBC News

Old 11-30-2012, 05:55 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,670,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Well, what do you expect when one of your fellow Americans starts a thread asking for their opinion about the US? ...

But the people who said the "average" European does not care much about the US is absolutely right. I have never in my life discussed the US with any of my friends or family members. If you asked them to name US states they could probably only mention California, Texas, New York and maybe Florida and I doubt they could point to all of them correctly on a map. The assumption that Europeans (or people in general) care so much about the US as to be "anti-American" is actually quite arrogant. All countries have to deal with negative stereotypes ("French people are smelly and arrogant", "Germans are boring and have no sense of humour", "Greeks are lazy", "Italians are corrupt", etc.) but that doesn't mean the people who hold those stereotypes are actively concerned with any of those countries.
Linda: Congrats on such a well-formed response, very rare to have someone as coherent as you posting on these forums (absolutely no patronizing meant at all, BTW). I isolated two sections of your post because I found them the most interesting to address.

On the first, you and I both know that the original poster is twelve (or mentally so) so, for me, there's no point in addressing his/her post ... And you'll note very few subsequent posters did. What was more interesting to me was the ironic conversation that ensued (and you and I will simply have to part ways on that point).

Your second point is far more interesting, if for no other reason than that it reveals just how differently two people (with differing perspectives) can interpret the same information. I can almost guarantee you that if I substituted EU countries for US states in your "If you asked them..." statement, I'd get howls of derision about supposed American "ignorance" toward Europe.

And, yes, the assumption of a teen that all Europeans hate Americans is quite arrogant, but it comes with the territory But, then again, if you're honest about things, you'll have to admit just how quick Europeans are (particularly English and French ones in my experience) to label the US as devoid of history and, thus, culture - as if to suggest that any country with less than 400 years of contiguous history can compete on those terms with countries colonized by Romans. Can we re-assess the definition of arrogance? Cheers!

Oh, and BTW, at least one of these "European" posters is apparently an American poseur living in the UK, so let's be real.

Last edited by rranger; 11-30-2012 at 06:09 PM..

Old 11-30-2012, 06:14 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,670,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
You guys wanna see some funny Canadians, check out the comments on this news article.

New tourism ad makes U.S. look like Canada - World - CBC News
Wanna read about delusional Canadians? Read this: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/08/wo...ssor.html?_r=0. It might be funny if it didn't make me want to cry

Old 11-30-2012, 06:33 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,561,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayess1 View Post
Sure. Those bankers marching thru downtown Frankfurt were quite the sight...
Not sure what it has got to do with Frankfurt...
(so let me re-post this here.)

John Perkins - America's Secret Empire - YouTube

Old 11-30-2012, 06:38 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,561,271 times
P.S. I don't think it makes much sense to talk about "hatred" towards America when getting responses from Europeans, Canadians and Australians.
The discussion rather reminds of bickering within the dysfunctional family.
If one speaks about real hatred towards America, one should look somewhere else, in different countries/regions of the world.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:42 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,606,994 times
Why, in the 'most free, powerful, and best' country in the world should people have to pay staggering amounts for life saving treatment?
Couple's Friends Raise Thousands for Life-Saving Surgery | ABC News Blogs - Yahoo!

Where do you draw the line between freedom, safety, and common sense? I read about a shooting with multiple deaths on the news literally EVERY WEEK!

Two shot at funeral during shooting victim's service - National Top News | Examiner.com

Police: Wyo. murder-suicide happened during class - Yahoo! News

Living abroad has opened my eyes, many Americans truly believe that they live in the best, and most free country in the world. I had an argument with my brother, who has never even left his state, when I returned about how much more freedom I felt in the UK, and almost every EU country for that matter, than I did in the US. He insisted, like many others, that no other country could ever have as much freedom as the USA because 'it's in our constitution.' Like a few have said already, we're told how great the USA is since the age of 6 or 7, saying the pledge of allegiance every day throughout middle and high school. National Pride is fantastic, but one has to feel it for themselves, not because they've been told it all of their lives. I look at it very similar to religion, either you believe in your country, or you don't. No matter how much people drill it into your brain, that doesn't make it right or wrong. How can many be so adamant to think that we live in the best country in the world while things like what is in the above articles are going on right in front of us? I think that is part of our problem, many are too proud, and caught up in displaying how proud they are to be American to take a good look at ourselves and realize that we have some pretty large problems with our society, culture and politics. This is not to say that we aren't a fine country. The USA is still a prosperous nation, and there are countless benefits to being an American citizen, but think about it, do we really have as much freedom as we think we do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World