Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2012, 01:11 AM

3,102 posts, read 5,620,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
It's so funny to read all the responses for people claiming Americans are so arrogant, and think so highly of themselves. You all are sounding like you think you're all so much better.

Who's arrogant now?
Arrogant? This individually. But hypocrisy - yes. Even a smile is not sincere. America is a country that interferes with the sovereignty of other countries, unleashing a war, the behavior is as if they are the masters and they think they are saving the world. Even wars that happen - they are a simple vandalism and looting the people.But the government always comes up with an excuse all actions that are not Easten.(Not real) Example - America so much blaming the Soviet Union in violation of human rights, (though in fact it really in the USSR was the best constitution of human rights, and ensuring that the necessary) The whole nation was as well as brothers, regardless of nationality or faith. At a time when America was even in the bus seats for blacks and whites. Even today, people do not wound.These people always considered second-class citizens. Even in the American Constitution- there is a term - People second grade. These include the Asian and black, which is very sad. I think few people in America who are interested in the other world, it is the fault of the educational process. So few understand what is happening in the world. Although I know a lot of interesting, intelligent and friendly people. It is the fault of the government. As well as in Russia.I agree We can not sum up all the people under one stereotype. People are all different. But moral issues in America are much .... Money in American culture is ranked first, which is very sad.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:12 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,887,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
First of all, Owen, not EVERYBODY on this thread thinks that.

Secondly - people from ANY country can be arrogant and annoying.

Thirdly, I've lived in the US most of my life and I've literally NEVER met an American who thought that British people are poor or that Irish people live in mud huts.
Well, I have.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:43 AM

27,579 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Thirdly, I've lived in the US most of my life and I've literally NEVER met an American who thought that British people are poor or that Irish people live in mud huts.
Actually, it's more common for Americans to perceive the British as being snobbish and stuck up with class - as far as negative opinions go.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:03 PM

447 posts, read 496,217 times
Very true. American slavery policy to Israel is major reason for the dislike of US, but American at large didn't feel ashamed of it. When they start to feel that shame in droves, they will be more likable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejarano View Post
I think people hate American foreign policy more than Americans themselves, of the Americans I have met whilst living abroad I tend to find the vast majority of them to be liberal and open minded, they seem to be as disgusted of what their politicians do in their name as much as we are. That brings me onto a very important point. America is vilified because of the media of today and a lot of what they do is transparent and can by seen on your tv screen by a glut of media sources worldwide, but what they are doing is no worse than what the British did when they were top dog. We were a lot worse but up until the beginning of the last century, news traveled slow and the common man or woman did not have the education to question. Now we do and we don't like what we see but let's not kid ourselves that the British or the French were any better because they weren't.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:19 PM

881 posts, read 2,093,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull84 View Post
Very true. American slavery policy to Israel is major reason for the dislike of US, but American at large didn't feel ashamed of it. When they start to feel that shame in droves, they will be more likable.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:29 PM

770 posts, read 1,178,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post

Thats the impression I got from many Americans. They think British people are poor, they think Irish people live in Mud huts.
Have you ever spoken to an American in your life?

I've never even heard of these stereotypes let alone know anyone who believes them. The British are poor? I'd think the common stereotype of them would be the opposite. Mudhuts?! Where the hell did that even come from? The only stereotype I've heard of the Irish is that they drink a lot. I'm trying to make some association between the Irish and mud to figure out how that would even make sense and I'm coming up with nothing.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:30 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,080,567 times
One other point I forgot to mention: the USA is the only country I'm aware of, that writes numbers as: month/day/year. The rest of the world writes: day/month/year which definitely makes more sense, as it's in chronological order. This confuses any outsider who comes to, or deals, with the USA, sometimes making them miss appointments, miss peoples' birthdays, etc.

I will grant you that, changing to the Metric system, would require costly measures such as, taping corrections over millions of USA road mileage signs (although other English-speaking countries made such a change without a fuss).

Not so, with changing the numerical dating system. Just decree that all Americans should do it, starting the next new years' day, or whenever. It's not exactly rocket science - Very, very easy to learn.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:07 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,850,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckynumber4 View Post
Have you ever spoken to an American in your life?

I've never even heard of these stereotypes let alone know anyone who believes them. The British are poor? I'd think the common stereotype of them would be the opposite. Mudhuts?! Where the hell did that even come from? The only stereotype I've heard of the Irish is that they drink a lot. I'm trying to make some association between the Irish and mud to figure out how that would even make sense and I'm coming up with nothing.
Thats the problem "The British are poor? I'd think the common stereotype of them would be the opposite"

Everyone in Europe knows the UK has poor areas, everyone in the UK knows the US has poor areas. Maybe more Americans should come out their bubble from time to time. I can see how it is easy to do, but I feel that is one of peoples biggest problems with some Americans that they are sometimes oblivious to what is going on globaly or the effect some of their foreign policies have on countless people.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:26 PM

770 posts, read 1,178,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Thats the problem "The British are poor? I'd think the common stereotype of them would be the opposite"

Everyone in Europe knows the UK has poor areas, everyone in the UK knows the US has poor areas. Maybe more Americans should come out their bubble from time to time. I can see how it is easy to do, but I feel that is one of peoples biggest problems with some Americans that they are sometimes oblivious to what is going on globaly or the effect some of their foreign policies have on countless people.
That's not the problem. Everyone in the US knows that there are poor areas everywhere. Most stereotypes are stupid/silly/funny. People joke about them and don't necessarily believe them. Please, stop trying to act like stereotypes are a completely American invention as if Europeans hold none about other cultures.

Since Americans rarely "come out of their bubbles", you can't have much physical contact with them. How do you know so much about them?

Last edited by luckynumber4; 12-03-2012 at 06:49 PM..

Old 12-03-2012, 06:26 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,245,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
One other point I forgot to mention: the USA is the only country I'm aware of, that writes numbers as: month/day/year. The rest of the world writes: day/month/year which definitely makes more sense, as it's in chronological order. This confuses any outsider who comes to, or deals, with the USA, sometimes making them miss appointments, miss peoples' birthdays, etc.

I will grant you that, changing to the Metric system, would require costly measures such as, taping corrections over millions of USA road mileage signs (although other English-speaking countries made such a change without a fuss).

Not so, with changing the numerical dating system. Just decree that all Americans should do it, starting the next new years' day, or whenever. It's not exactly rocket science - Very, very easy to learn.
Who cares? All countries have their peculiarities, this is one of them. I can't imagine anyone dealing with Americans not knowing about this basic rule.

I actually think it makes perfect sense to say month/day instead of day/month because the month is more important than the day. Kind of how in Romance languages, the noun comes before the adjective ("car red" instead of "red car"). You start with something general ("month" or "car") and then you narrow it down ("day" or "colour"). At least, that's how I see it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World