Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2012, 09:12 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I would add some other U.S. cities to your list. For example, I live in the Washington, D.C. area. This metro area is diverse and international, so you normally wouldn't see people chanting "USA! USA!" even though this is a political capital and there are a lot of rallies and demonstrations and such. But the average resident here doesn't care about being patriotic.

I think it's the same in Philadelphia, Baltimore, Boston, San Francisco, Miami and Seattle among other cities. Most major cities in the U.S. are pretty liberal.
Right, I agree. I just pointed out a few examples there. Most cities are liberal. Exposed to more of the world first hand IMO than someone in rural Arkansas for example.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:47 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
What the heck is "success" when you live your entire life like a slave, toiling from morning to night?
A moment to pause and think may address this problem, but then again, there ARE no pauses.
I know you like the idea that we all live like slaves, but we do not. So enough with the annoying slave talk....

Old 12-05-2012, 11:12 PM

[Mod cut: this post has been deleted]

The United States is full of over 300 million people. To sit here and single out a few people on an internet forum means absolutely nothing. The people who are doing this are no different than some of the people I pointed out. The only difference is that these might be the only people from the US who you have daily "contact" with. Just because you have a few people saying it online, doesn't mean it's the norm. What you're doing is stereotyping, essentially. We are also on the internet. People are anonymous (usually). The crazies come out because they can finally voice what they want to so badly but can't because they'd be outcast in most of society. Go to YouTube. Do you really think those people would say half of those things in real life? No. Most wouldn't dare say any of it. The internet is a breeding ground for people to say what they want to because they finally can without anyone knowing even who they are.

Use your head. Stop stereotyping just because you ran into a few crazy people. Perhaps I could find numerous articles about murders in Argentina and claim that all Argentinians are murders because afterall, a few people are representative of the entire population right? RIGHT? No. It's nativity and ignorance at its finest.

Last edited by elnina; 12-08-2012 at 01:57 AM..

Old 12-06-2012, 02:22 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,341,443 times
As someone mentioned above: The US has bad PR.

It's a country of extremes: slums are more or less next to the richest areas on earth, health services are either really good or really bad, you have really liberal people and moronic conservatives.

The problem is, that the idiots in your country are extremely loud and get extensive news coverage. Some even become President. Reasonable people are boring, therefor they get ignored.
Then there are people like scrantix on message boards. Yes, he's a single person on a forum, but he's writing such utter nonsense, that he's also hurting the reputation of all of you people.

Anyway, I don't dislike or hate America. I don't really like your foreign policy and aspects of your domestic policy. But that doesn't mean that I'm Anti-American. Far from that. I pretty much think your problem is, what Trey Parker (South Park) pointed out:

"Yeah, we have seen that. What we're sick of—and it's getting even worse—is: you either like Michael Moore or you wanna ****in' go overseas and shoot Iraqis. There can't be a middle ground. Basically, if you think Michael Moore's full of ****, then you are a super-Christian right-wing whatever. And we're both just pretty middle-ground guys. We find just as many things to rip on on the left as we do on the right. People on the far left and the far right are the same exact person to us."

Trey Parker and Matt Stone talk Team America: World Police - MovieWeb.com

Old 12-06-2012, 07:48 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,842,587 times
Maybe the "American bashers" have a point??

Just playing devils advocate

Old 12-06-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
As someone mentioned above: The US has bad PR.

It's a country of extremes: slums are more or less next to the richest areas on earth, health services are either really good or really bad, you have really liberal people and moronic conservatives.

The problem is, that the idiots in your country are extremely loud and get extensive news coverage. Some even become President. Reasonable people are boring, therefor they get ignored.
Then there are people like scrantix on message boards. Yes, he's a single person on a forum, but he's writing such utter nonsense, that he's also hurting the reputation of all of you people.

Anyway, I don't dislike or hate America. I don't really like your foreign policy and aspects of your domestic policy. But that doesn't mean that I'm Anti-American. Far from that. I pretty much think your problem is, what Trey Parker (South Park) pointed out:

"Yeah, we have seen that. What we're sick of—and it's getting even worse—is: you either like Michael Moore or you wanna ****in' go overseas and shoot Iraqis. There can't be a middle ground. Basically, if you think Michael Moore's full of ****, then you are a super-Christian right-wing whatever. And we're both just pretty middle-ground guys. We find just as many things to rip on on the left as we do on the right. People on the far left and the far right are the same exact person to us."

Trey Parker and Matt Stone talk Team America: World Police - MovieWeb.com
Exactly. Most people in this country are not gun toting "WE GOTTA HAVE GUNSSSSSSSS..For our..FREEDOMS" people. Certainly there are a lot, but then again there are over 300 million people here. Even if you have 5 million of them, that's only 1.7% of the population. Even if it was 20 million people like that, it's still only 6.7% of the entire population.

The problem with a lot of people no matter what country they're looking at is that they let stereotypes rule. They see a few people in the news and just assume a country, no matter how big, is full of people like that. It's massive cognitive misering. Anyone who has experience in any country for a large amount of time will tell you if that's true or not.

I've lived in the US all my life, but I've been around the world in other countries. If someone on here is going to let their opinions of Americans be swayed by the utter BS they see on TV or read on this forum from a few users, then it's not about countries - it's about overall intelligence and ignorance. I can assure you that the common person in this country does not pump their chest much, or actually at all, at the thought of "USA!" It happens, but in reality it's a small percentage of people. The ones who you see doing it are the non-boring ones. Boring **** doesn't make the news and it doesn't make for interesting pictures or video. That's why you see that stuff in the forefront. Spend a few months in a city like Chicago, New York City, Los Angeles, Washington DC, Miami area, Boston, San Francisco, Seattle, Portland, Philadelphia, etc (in the cities themselves, not the suburbs) and your opinion will probably completely change of the country.

It reminds me of a friend of mine I knew from Norway. He had never been to the US and he thought everyone was just "USA! USA!" and the US was just full of hamburger and hot dog stands. He did a long vacation in San Francisco and his opinion completely changed. Sure, you might find that in some areas like the more rural areas, but in the most populated areas for the most part? Not going to find a TON of people actually really, really patriotic.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:46 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Serious here Kathryn? I have yet to come across a Philadelphian who thought that about Texas. Most people here think of Dallas and Houston, South Padre, Austin, San Antonio, etc. No one around here thinks that way about Texas. Maybe one hundred years ago, but certainly not now. Plus, we hate the Cowboys around here (football team that is).
I didn't say that ALL Americans think that about Texas. But yes - I have run across Americans who really do think that way. And Europeans, for that matter. And Canadians.

I am not a Cowboys fan either, so that's no skin off my nose. I'm a Saints fan.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
One other point I forgot to mention: the USA is the only country I'm aware of, that writes numbers as: month/day/year. The rest of the world writes: day/month/year which definitely makes more sense, as it's in chronological order. This confuses any outsider who comes to, or deals, with the USA, sometimes making them miss appointments, miss peoples' birthdays, etc.

I will grant you that, changing to the Metric system, would require costly measures such as, taping corrections over millions of USA road mileage signs (although other English-speaking countries made such a change without a fuss).

Not so, with changing the numerical dating system. Just decree that all Americans should do it, starting the next new years' day, or whenever. It's not exactly rocket science - Very, very easy to learn.
Hey, at least we don't weigh people in STONES.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
One other point I forgot to mention: the USA is the only country I'm aware of, that writes numbers as: month/day/year. The rest of the world writes: day/month/year which definitely makes more sense, as it's in chronological order. This confuses any outsider who comes to, or deals, with the USA, sometimes making them miss appointments, miss peoples' birthdays, etc.

I will grant you that, changing to the Metric system, would require costly measures such as, taping corrections over millions of USA road mileage signs (although other English-speaking countries made such a change without a fuss).

Not so, with changing the numerical dating system. Just decree that all Americans should do it, starting the next new years' day, or whenever. It's not exactly rocket science - Very, very easy to learn.
One other thing - when I lived in Europe, I quickly picked up on the little idiosyncracies and just dealt with them. In fact, I found them sometimes humorous, sometimes awkward, and sometimes admirable.

Keep an open mind and be a bit tolerant! Da-yum!

Old 12-06-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
He/she summed it up quite nicely. I believe that a lot of Americans are very unhappy as a result and are completely trapped. I don't call it a free country at all. Americans fear government to the point of ridiculousness, but the government isn't the oppressor.
I believe you may be right but I also think that's a common situation with Europeans, Australians, Japanese, you name it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World