Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2012, 11:31 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,849,637 times

Advertisements

The 10th day of the 12th month, 2012.

10/12/2012

Makes sense.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:06 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,868,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Caballero View Post
I highlighted the world multiculturalism, europe is way less racist overall, you see people having more problems with groups because being further away culturally-wise than being different racially, I could name several examples, turks in germany, moroccans/turks in netherlands, pakistanis in the UK, all those groups are less wanted than black people over those countries despite being phenotypically less different. In america people blame other groups because how different they look to white mainstream culture, not because of culture, americans talk always about "whites" and "non whites" europeans care way more about culture, not race.

Again I'm mostly comparing the US to developed countries of western europe. Some countries of eastern europe arent even comparable to the US since they haven't been exposed to multiculturalism for any considerably period of time.
So basically, you are saying, "our form of exclusionism is superior to your form of exclusionism."

Last edited by 415_s2k; 12-10-2012 at 12:15 PM..

Old 12-10-2012, 12:31 PM

599 posts, read 2,594,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
So basically, you are saying, "our form of exclusionism is superior to your form of exclusionism."
Its definitely more understable when you dont like a group based on how few willing to adapt they have, but not because of how different they supperficially look to mainstream culture (white american one).

America identity was founded based on white supremacist ideas, european one was based on cultural identities, not racial unity, europe has been diverse country

Old 12-10-2012, 12:32 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,244,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The thing is, in the U.S., "cultural" discrimination is considered to be simply a euphemism for racial discrimination. It might be even taken as being more insidious.

For example, if you say "I hate black people" then at least someone will definitely know where you stand. On the other hand, if you say "I am not that comfortable with African American culture" then you might be taken as a hypocritical kind of closet racist - and therefore more dangerous in some people's opinions. Of course, both statements could get you fired from your job.

Also, the U.S. is just like Europe in that some ethnic groups assimilate much better into the mainstream culture than others do.
I don't condone cultural discrimination but I disagree that it's just a euphamism for racial discrimination. I don't see the two as related at all. In Europe, cultural discrimination often takes place between people of the same "race", such as Protestants and Catholics in Northern Ireland or Serbs, Croats and Bosniaks in former Yugoslavia.

I think it's important to make this distinction because many people mistake the clash between certain Muslim immigrants and Europeans as "racism"; Europeans are simply prejudiced against Arabs and Turks because they look different. It may not be PC to say this but the main reason behind the clash is that some Muslim immigrants (and their children) cannot or will not integrate into the society of their new homeland. They make no effort to learn the language, they do not interact with the native population, they have little respect for Western culture, they do not abide by national laws, etc. Of course, this doesn't apply to most Muslim immigrants but because of the sheer number of Muslims in many WE countries, it becomes a problem. My position is that if you choose to move to another country permanently, you must make an effort to integrate into their society. If you can't do that, don't come here. I don't think that's too much to ask. If I moved to Morocco, I would be expected to learn their language and respect their culture as well. In that sense, multiculturalism has indeed failed in Europe just like it would fail in almost any other country on earth. USA, Australia, New Zealand and Canada are the exceptions but that is because these countries were built by immigrants, it's an intrinstic part of their culture.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:33 PM

599 posts, read 2,594,109 times
Quote:
Its definitely more understable when you dont like a group based on how few willing to adapt they have, but not because of how different they supperficially look to mainstream culture (white american one).

America identity was founded based on white supremacist ideas (aka the WASP elite), european one was based on cultural identities, not racial unity, europe has been diverse continent way long before america ever existed, places like UK; Portugal, Netherlands and France are the most famous examples.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:36 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,287,685 times
The real question is why do Europeans and Canadians feel the need to inform us of their disappointment with the US? As if they are some kind of parental figure who has to reprimand us.

It is my personal experiences that make me ask this.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:40 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,287,685 times
Quote:

America identity was founded based on white supremacist ideas, european one was based on cultural identities, not racial unity, europe has been diverse country
That has been responsible for two relatively recent world wars that resulted in over 100 million of your own people raped, enslaved, and genocided.

With this kind of history, I will certainly entertain the thought that you know of what you speak when it comes to avoiding armed conflict. But don't try to convince anyone of any moral superiority because that would be laughable.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:14 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,244,554 times
Quote:
Well, it depends on the reasons behind the exclusion. Exclusion based on genetics is always wrong because it is not something people can choose or change and it says nothing about their character. Exclusion based on cultural identity is not by definition wrong. Again, it's not PC to say this but not all cultures are equal. I have no respect for cultures that suppress women, that want to impose their religious laws on others, that divide people into castes, that do not value democracy or human rights, that mutilate the genitals of children, that believe in honour killing, etc. If I meet someone whose cultural identity is dominated by beliefs of this kind, I will discriminate against them (as in: I will not socialize with these people or respect their position). I see no reason to tolerate groups such as this: Sharia4Holland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for the sake of cultural relativism. These people want to institute Sharia law in a country where only 5% of the population is Muslim. If they want to live under Sharia law so badly, there are other countries they can move to. I'd say the same if it were a group of radical Christians protesting for Biblical law in a place like Turkey. I don't think we should outlaw it, they have a right to free speech after all, but there's no reason why we as a society should pretend that these beliefs have a place in a Western country.

By the way, I'm not arguing for complete assimilation. It's fine to maintain your own cultural identity as long as it doesn't hinder your participation in society. I grew up in a neighbourhood with a lot of Muslim (Turkish) families and they were integrated just fine. The people I described above are a small minority but like I said, given the sheer number of Muslims in Western Europe it becomes a problem.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:31 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,868,976 times
Quote:

America identity was founded based on white supremacist ideas (aka the WASP elite), european one was based on cultural identities, not racial unity, europe has been diverse continent way long before america ever existed, places like UK; Portugal, Netherlands and France are the most famous examples.
I am generally loathe to invoke history, but, since you did... I wonder if the peoples of Vietnam, Cambodia, West Africa, Algeria, Central America, South America, The Philippines, British Mandate Palestine, India, Pakistan, Australia, Indonesia, etc etc etc who lived under British, French, Dutch, Spanish and Portugese colonial empires were singing their praises as welcoming and embracing, benevolent overlords who respected their cultures?

I only state this as a counterpoint to your assertation that America's "supremacist foundations" are somehow that much more inexcusable and unforgivable than the inherent idea of, yes, racial and cultural supremacy that existed in Europe historically and was used as a preclusion to invade, occupy, and subjugate peoples around the world.

I do not believe that it is right to hold this history against Europe nowadays, all the same that it's not right to hold historical blights that no longer exist in America against Americans currently - you can extend that to current generations of Japanese who are still blamed irrationally for social ills in China and the Koreas, among many other instances.

Your various continued statements overlook things such as the fact that we currently have a black, biracial president, and that we just reaffirmed him via re-election in an electoral landslide. It ignores the number of minorities who hold political office in the US. It ignores the millions of Americans who are in interracial relationships (myself included) or are the children of people involved in interracial relationships (myself included - via my grandmother... who married my grandfather in the 30's!). It ignores the unquantifiable number of friendships, working relationships, and cooperation that occurs between people of races in America every day.

Have you ever been to America?

Old 12-10-2012, 01:34 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:

OMG. Read a history book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World