Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2012, 06:34 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,848,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckynumber4 View Post
That's not the problem. Everyone in the US knows that there are poor areas everywhere. Most stereotypes are stupid/silly/funny. People joke about them and don't necessarily believe them. Please, stop trying to act like stereotypes are a completely American invention as if Europeans hold none about other cultures.

Since Americans rarely "come out of their bubbles", you can have much physical contact with them. How do you know so much about them?
I can say I watch American news (CNN, ABC), American documentaries, American Indie films, American political shows (Including staying up till 5am election night), read American online forums and blogs, have had American friends in the past, have family residing in America, would love to visit but have a criminal record for drugs unfortunately but hope I can make it across one day because it dates back to my teens.

Can you say the same?

Old 12-03-2012, 06:49 PM

770 posts, read 1,177,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
I can say I watch American news (CNN, ABC), American documentaries, American Indie films, American political shows (Including staying up till 5am election night), read American online forums and blogs, have had American friends in the past, have family residing in America, would love to visit but have a criminal record for drugs unfortunately but hope I can make it across one day because it dates back to my teens.

Can you say the same?
The fact that you would even ask me that question assuming you already know the answer shows that you are much deeper in a bubble than you think you are. Can you tell me what you just did? (Hint: it starts with an "S")

Homeboy, I speak two languages other than English, watch everything you watch in both, read news in both, have friends in different countries, have lived in a different countries and am not ignorant enough to think that watching TV actually gives me that great of an idea of a culture. Trust me, you have no idea what the majority of Americans think about foreign policy. There's a reason the last election turned out the way it did.

Now back to my first question: "Since Americans rarely "come out of their bubbles", you can't have much physical contact with them. How do you know so much about them?". I just got my answer: You don't know much.

Last edited by luckynumber4; 12-03-2012 at 07:03 PM..

Old 12-03-2012, 06:51 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,243,943 times
Quote:
Have you ever spoken to an American in your life?

I've never even heard of these stereotypes let alone know anyone who believes them. The British are poor? I'd think the common stereotype of them would be the opposite. Mudhuts?! Where the hell did that even come from? The only stereotype I've heard of the Irish is that they drink a lot. I'm trying to make some association between the Irish and mud to figure out how that would even make sense and I'm coming up with nothing.
I have heard stereotypes like that before (on the internet). Americans have asked me if we have electricity in the Netherlands, if it's common for Dutch people to own a computer, they're surprised I have an internet connection, stuff like that. I kind of think they do it to be provocative though. For all the talk about why so many people supposedly hate America, the question could just as well be reversed. I've seen a LOT of insulting comments from Americans about other countries on the internet too. This only feeds the stereotype of Americans as being arrogant and condescending that is so widespread in the rest of the world. Maybe people are (subconsciously) reacting to this and feel they have to be on the defensive all the time. It's a shame because the Americans I have met personally, in real life, are nothing like the stereotype.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:44 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,848,307 times
Quote:
The fact that you would even ask me that question assuming you already know the answer
Honestly I was just asking can you say the same. I am asking do you have British friends, do you watch British factual tv? That was all lol. Then you go off in a rant and become hostile and defensive. Does America show BBC news for example? Do you keep up-to-date with UK politics?

Old 12-03-2012, 08:19 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
I have heard stereotypes like that before (on the internet). Americans have asked me if we have electricity in the Netherlands, if it's common for Dutch people to own a computer, they're surprised I have an internet connection, stuff like that. I kind of think they do it to be provocative though. For all the talk about why so many people supposedly hate America, the question could just as well be reversed. I've seen a LOT of insulting comments from Americans about other countries on the internet too. This only feeds the stereotype of Americans as being arrogant and condescending that is so widespread in the rest of the world. Maybe people are (subconsciously) reacting to this and feel they have to be on the defensive all the time. It's a shame because the Americans I have met personally, in real life, are nothing like the stereotype.

Maybe that should tell you something.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:54 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,243,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Maybe that should tell you something.
It tells me that the ignorant trolls who spread and feed these stereotypes should just be ignored

Old 12-03-2012, 08:59 PM

868 posts, read 1,122,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Of course the taxpayer foots the bill. I have paid taxes here. My husband has paid a lot of taxes here. So we are entitled to what we've paid our taxes for. My husband still pays a lot of tax on his pension. So we do not get free care. There is no such thing as free care.
Exactly. Everyone contributes, but when you need it, no out of pocket.

Seems fair to me.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:01 PM

868 posts, read 1,122,238 times
I'm from Northern Ireland and now live in the United States, but not for much longer. You can only truly realise how bloody stupid and backward this country is when you actually live here!!!

(awaiting flames)

There are lots of good Americans though. I just wish they'd make themselves heard more than the right-wing morons who ruin America's reputation and set the country back 2 centuries.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:32 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,443,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhundred View Post
More often than not and it won't be easy for most to admit but jealousy.
You'd be surprised. Most of the times they inspire pity - hardly jealousy.

Millions of dimwits who have been brainwashed into worshipping so-called "wealth creators" all while being instructed to look down on those who "bow to royals"; as if they're not doing exactly the same thing. Most Americans live the life of a dehumanized slave, eating horrific food, in constant "get done" mode, hurried days, never a moment of true rest, unless you count "crawl-to-the-couch" zombie time in front of the TV or the computer where the brainwashing is regularly reinforced.

Superficial personal relationships, weak family ties, eaten alive by competitiveness as there is no real social safety net, so the pressure to make money and "self-rely" is huge for everyone.
Generally speaking, Americans' quality of life is poor, despite the comparatively large space and resources they consume per capita...and which makes them so sure everyone is green with envy behind their backs.

The middle class, dual-earner families have a particularly poor quality of life as they are literally worked to death by the system. They take the "rely on NO-ONE but yourself" message very seriously and live a life of constant drudgery as a result, to pay loans back to Her Majesty the Bank; Lord Forbid should they experience the shame of relying on commonly pulled-together resources, government, community or extended family.

Now you would think that all this would inspire compassion, not hate...but when you also see the arrogance and c*ck-sure attitudes about their "superior" system...then you start getting that nauseating feeling in the stomach as well as the deep-seated knowledge that they fully deserve the sh**ty lives they live.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:01 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
You'd be surprised. Most of the times they inspire pity - hardly jealousy.

Millions of dimwits who have been brainwashed into worshipping so-called "wealth creators" all while being instructed to look down on those who "bow to royals"; as if they're not doing exactly the same thing. Most Americans live the life of a dehumanized slave, eating horrific food, in constant "get done" mode, hurried days, never a moment of true rest, unless you count "crawl-to-the-couch" zombie time in front of the TV or the computer where the brainwashing is regularly reinforced.

Superficial personal relationships, weak family ties, eaten alive by competitiveness as there is no real social safety net, so the pressure to make money and "self-rely" is huge for everyone.
Generally speaking, Americans' quality of life is poor, despite the comparatively large space and resources they consume per capita...and which makes them so sure everyone is green with envy behind their backs.

The middle class, dual-earner families have a particularly poor quality of life as they are literally worked to death by the system. They take the "rely on NO-ONE but yourself" message very seriously and live a life of constant drudgery as a result, to pay loans back to Her Majesty the Bank; Lord Forbid should they experience the shame of relying on commonly pulled-together resources, government, community or extended family.

Now you would think that all this would inspire compassion, not hate...but when you also see the arrogance and c*ck-sure attitudes about their "superior" system...then you start getting that nauseating feeling in the stomach as well as the deep-seated knowledge that they fully deserve the sh**ty lives they live.
Damn how many Americans do you know? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World