Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2012, 01:18 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,424,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOOK MA NO HANDS View Post
I checked past threads to see if this has been done before, which I don't think it has. Anyway, the title explains it all.

Guess I'm a bit late, but, close enough. lol

//www.city-data.com/forum/great-debates/1729463-why-do-europeans-hate-us.html

I really don't think anybody truly HATES Americans. I mean, sure there are, but there are people from every country, that hate every country on the face of the globe. I know I don't. I rather like America. I guess the only things that really bother me, is their Government (not their people) sticking their noses in everyones buisness, and let's their people go completely bankrupt due to injury or illness, and some seem to have little to no knowledge of Canada's participation, and major contributions to the world wars (sorry, that one is personal, and it bugs the **** out of me). I blame that on their history books though. As far as arrogance goes, I base that on each American I meet. Hell, that goes for everyone, no matter where they hail from.
I live in a border city though, the busiest crossing in North America, and I meet lots, and lots, and lots of Americans, from nearly every State. Overall, I like them very, very much. Unless the UK was parked right next to us, we honestly couldn't ask for better neighbours. Even then, we'd just live in a great neighbourhood! I've gotten so hammered with some Americans, and have even had them spend the night if they were too drunk to drive back home, or just because we were having a great time together. Pretty good guests, if you ask this Canadian.

As much as some of their ways baffle us lol, maybe we're the only ones who actually "get" them. We are brothers, after all.

......it just gets a little scary sometimes when the Government rattles it saber at the rest of the world!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhundred View Post
More often than not and it won't be easy for most to admit but jealousy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Arrogant, ignorant attitudes like this one are a huge reason. Americans think that everyone in the world would do anything to live in the USA, the supposedly greatest country on earth. They don't.

I bet you're one of those that would tell the British re WWII 'if it wasn't for us you'd be speaking German'.

Pretty sure Mhundred is Canadian. Just sayin'. But you're right, if it wasn't for Canada......

I KID! I KID!!! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Because everyone of us are Jesus freak conservatives who are obsessed with war, drive big trucks and scream "God bless America" all the time.

lol

Quote:
Quote by BigCityDreamer -
Depends on what part of America you're talking about. In the more liberal places (read: higher GDP per capita places), this kind of thing is highly diminished - if it exists at all.

I always found this map amusing. Can't say I care for the re-naming of Canada though. I would gladly accept those States, as new Provinces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post

When my Canadian cousins girlfriend was coming here, she asked us "do they have cinemas here". Then she asked us "do you guys have bicycles?".

Quote:
OMG! When I was getting ready to move here two of my co-workers (at different times) ask if they have christmas here!

The bicycle was invented by a Scot!

Well......I appologise. lol That's incredibly ignorant of them. Ya get'em in every country though. If it makes you feel any better, I had some ladies from Michigan......Detroit, specifically, come here to Windsor, in the middle of July, in parkas, with a station waggon loaded with ski gear, and ask me (and they were quite upset)where the hell all the snow was at, and where can we find the nearest ski hill????

If you're not familiar with the location, and orientation of these two cities, please, check a map and you'll understand my astonishment. LOL!

Old 11-25-2012, 01:21 PM

4,095 posts, read 5,545,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
I'll be sure to think of you the next time the seemingly endless stream of Irish illegals shows up to fix my neighbor's house... And , I can assure you, few Americans are darkening Ireland's door.
Ha! I can't even count the number of Americans who have asked about immigrating to Ireland (and the UK) on expat boards and other forums.

Old 11-25-2012, 01:22 PM

881 posts, read 2,092,267 times
Quote:
I'm not the OP. One of your fellow resident Americans was.
??? What? Never said you were anything particular vis a vis this thread.

Old 11-25-2012, 01:24 PM

4,095 posts, read 5,545,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post

I really don't think anybody truly HATES Americans. I mean, sure there are, but there are people from every country, that hate every country on the face of the globe. I know I don't. I rather like America. I guess the only things that really bother me, is their Government (not their people) sticking their noses in everyones buisness, and let's their people go completely bankrupt due to injury or illness, and some seem to have little to no knowledge of Canada's participation, and major contributions to the world wars (sorry, that one is personal, and it bugs the **** out of me). I blame that on their history books though. As far as arrogance goes, I base that on each American I meet. Hell, that goes for everyone, no matter where they hail from.
I live in a border city though, the busiest crossing in North America, and I meet lots, and lots, and lots of Americans, from nearly every State. Overall, I like them very, very much. Unless the UK was parked right next to us, we honestly couldn't ask for better neighbours. Even then, we'd just live in a great neighbourhood! I've gotten so hammered with some Americans, and have even had them spend the night if they were too drunk to drive back home, or just because we were having a great time together. Pretty good guests, if you ask this Canadian.

As much as some of their ways baffle us lol, maybe we're the only ones who actually "get" them. We are brothers, after all.

......it just gets a little scary sometimes when the Government rattles it saber at the rest of the world!

Pretty sure Mhundred is Canadian. Just sayin'. But you're right, if it wasn't for Canada......

I KID! I KID!!! lol

lol

I always found this map amusing. Can't say I care for the re-naming of Canada though. I would gladly accept those States, as new Provinces.

Well......I appologise. lol That's incredibly ignorant of them. Ya get'em in every country though. If it makes you feel any better, I had some ladies from Michigan......Detroit, specifically, come here to Windsor, in the middle of July, in parkas, with a station waggon loaded with ski gear, and ask me (and they were quite upset)where the hell all the snow was at, and where can we find the nearest ski hill????

If you're not familiar with the location, and orientation of these two cities, please, check a map and you'll understand my astonishment. LOL!
Being originally from SE Michigan I won't need a map.

Old 11-25-2012, 01:25 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,669,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
Given the choice between the 2: it's a no brainer
Bingo! And, BTW, this thread started TODAY and has already gotten 8 pages of responses, largely from Europeans who purport to have "no interest" in the US. I'm sure the irony in that is lost on many of them. Food for thought.

Hmm... Maybe I should start a "Why does everyone hate Luxembourg?" thread and see how many pages of responses that gets...

Old 11-25-2012, 01:29 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,241,315 times
Quote:
Bingo! And, BTW, this thread started TODAY and has already gotten 8 pages of responses, largely from Europeans who purport to have "no interest" in the US. I'm sure the irony in that is lost on many of them. Food for thought.

Hmm... Maybe I should start a "Why does everyone hate Luxembourg?" thread and see how many pages of responses that gets...

I agree. Most who claim to have no interest in America can't seem to stop talking about it

Old 11-25-2012, 01:31 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,241,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post

I KID! I KID!!! lol

lol

"Canada is like living in a loft apartment over a really cool party" Robin Williams

Old 11-25-2012, 01:32 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,424,594 times
Quote:
"canada is like living in a loft apartment over a really cool party" robin williams :d

rofl!!!

Old 11-25-2012, 01:52 PM

255 posts, read 565,477 times
Quote:
I am very much interested in what goes on in the United States, don't want to live there though. I am very much interested in Paraguay, East Timor and the Congo but don't want to live in those places either.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:00 PM

881 posts, read 2,092,267 times
Quote:
I agree. Most who claim to have no interest in America can't seem to stop talking about it
^^ This. X 10,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.