Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do Canadians sound like Americans?
No, I can tell the accents apart easily, regardless of the generation of speakers 72 24.16%
Older Canadians don't, but younger Canadians have that American twang 14 4.70%
They sound somewhat like Americans but not exactly 156 52.35%
Canadians of all ages sound like Americans to me 56 18.79%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 09:19 PM

569 posts, read 555,815 times

Advertisements

I thought this was non-accent related threads. But these are my inputs anyway.

The Canadians were more refined. They spoke locally and clearly. They spoke the whole sentences.

The Americans used a lot of slams. The foreigners apart from the English speaking community would have no easy times to grasp the meanings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 10:22 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,468,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Most of the examples in your posts are totally wrong.

I'm sorry, but Americans DO say "I'm sorry." How can you think that we don't say it? We say,"I apologize" instead????

Americans say, "John and me"? We say "John and I" when it's the subject of the sentence--as "John and I went out." We say "John and me" when it's the object of the sentence--as "He laughed at John and me." So we say both and so do Canadians.

I rarely hear anyone say Sir or Mame (?)--do you hear these things on tv or something?

AND, no one says "Y'all" or whatever it is unless they live down south in the USA.

Also, we do NOT call our country America. We call it the US or the USA.

I just had to have my own little rant about your posts because they are so inaccurate.

Where I live we can barely distinguish between our accent and that of the Canadians several hundred miles to the north. The only way to tell is that they say "eh" and (sorry, but it's true of that area of Canada) they DO say "hooose" instead of house. And they talk about (abooot) hockey A LOT, lol.
I agree with you response and had a similar one of my own some pages back.

How are you hearing that vowel as "oo"? Whenever I hear Canadians say "about" it sounds closer to "aboat" and even that's not quite where it is. Granted, I live in California so it may sound different to my ears. Someone from southern Ontario can often only be told from I am used to hearing by that vowel. Otherwise, they don't sound much different from Californians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I agree. You are in New England, If you are close to the Maritime provinces you will definitely notice a difference in accents though. Maritimers sometimes have the strongest accents.
Maybe that's it. I have never met any Canadians from the Maritimes.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:42 PM

26,666 posts, read 28,831,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I agree with you response and had a similar one of my own some pages back.

How are you hearing that vowel as "oo"? Whenever I hear Canadians say "about" it sounds closer to "aboat" and even that's not quite where it is. Granted, I live in California so it may sound different to my ears. Someone from southern Ontario can often only be told from I am used to hearing by that vowel. Otherwise, they don't sound much different from Californians.

Maybe that's it. I have never met any Canadians from the Maritimes.
Maybe because I live on the east coast so I am hearing Canadians who are also from the east. From reading most of this long thread, it seems that it's the eastern Canadians who say "aboot." The Canadians to the west don't seem to pronounce it that way.

I would love to go to the Maritimes and maybe some day I'll be able to. I would imagine some would have a Scottish derived accent?? Just guessing from the advertisements I've seen for Nova Scotia. I don't have any idea of what a Newfoundland accent would be.

Anyway, we in New England speak just about the same as the Canadians in eastern Canada except that, of course, we also have our own little variations within New England. (BTW, I LOVE it when the eastern Canadians say, "Aboot"--and when they end a sentence with, "eh." I think it has a certain charm to it!)

Old 06-17-2016, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Maybe because I live on the east coast so I am hearing Canadians who are also from the east. From reading most of this long thread, it seems that it's the eastern Canadians who say "aboot." The Canadians to the west don't seem to pronounce it that way.

I would love to go to the Maritimes and maybe some day I'll be able to. I would imagine some would have a Scottish derived accent?? Just guessing from the advertisements I've seen for Nova Scotia. I don't have any idea of what a Newfoundland accent would be.

Anyway, we in New England speak just about the same as the Canadians in eastern Canada except that, of course, we also have our own little variations within New England. (BTW, I LOVE it when the eastern Canadians say, "Aboot"--and when they end a sentence with, "eh." I think it has a certain charm to it!)
You're probably right. The Canadians I met and know for sure where they were from, were from; British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario and Quebec, of course the latter will not be confused for being American.

Old 06-18-2016, 03:46 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,101,461 times
I've met many Canadians, mostly East Asian migrants to Canada (BC or the Prairie provinces) and their North American born children who now live in, or did for a while, Texas. Honestly, they sound no different from most native Texans in the DFW area except for some vocabulary.

Old 06-18-2016, 08:00 PM

4,867 posts, read 10,558,825 times
Quote:
You're probably right. The Canadians I met and know for sure where they were from, were from; British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario and Quebec, of course the latter will not be confused for being American.
Too be fair, there is a largish population of native English speakers and native level English speakers from Quebec, about 650 thousand to over a million depending on how you define things, more if you include people from the community's diaspora like myself. There are English language newspapers, school boards, universities, and theatres in Quebec. William Shatner, Leonard Cohen, Jay Baruchel, Mordecai Richler, and Brian Mulroney are notable English speaking Quebeckers. My accent, at least, is fairly similar to accents in urban Ontario and the urban West, but still distinct. A bit of sing song lilt; softer vowels; marry, Mary, and merry aren't pronounced identically; softer Canadian raising; some Francophone turns of phrase like saying close or open the lights; some French vocabulary; and the occasional "me, I (verb, subject) .... ". But I can pass as a native Torontonian or Vancouverite fairly well.

Old 06-18-2016, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Too be fair, there is a largish population of native English speakers and native level English speakers from Quebec, about 650 thousand to over a million depending on how you define things, more if you include people from the community's diaspora like myself. There are English language newspapers, school boards, universities, and theatres in Quebec. William Shatner, Leonard Cohen, Jay Baruchel, Mordecai Richler, and Brian Mulroney are notable English speaking Quebeckers. My accent, at least, is fairly similar to accents in urban Ontario and the urban West, but still distinct. A bit of sing song lilt; softer vowels; marry, Mary, and merry aren't pronounced identically; softer Canadian raising; some Francophone turns of phrase like saying close or open the lights; some French vocabulary; and the occasional "me, I (verb, subject) .... ". But I can pass as a native Torontonian or Vancouverite fairly well.
I've known two Quebecers and both were Francophone.

Let's see; in California, Mary, merry and marry are the same so you may stand out as an east coaster here. If you said something like "open" or "close the lights" you might be mistaken for being Hispanic. William Shatner has no discernible accent to my ears. Perhaps more than the much discussed "about", is the way some Canadians pronounce words like "sorry" and "progress" with the long 'o' sounds. That tends to stand out a but more. Jim Carey does this.

Old 06-18-2016, 09:26 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,458,506 times
Here is what many Canadians from the Maritime provinces sound like. Fast forward bit to hear them get into a conversation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE0LIdNmQy0

Old 06-18-2016, 09:28 PM

26,916 posts, read 38,213,861 times
Quote:
I. If you said something like "open" or "close the lights" you might be mistaken for being Hispanic. .
Don't forget to close the lights after you pass the vacuum!

Old 09-18-2016, 06:46 AM

863 posts, read 985,557 times
generally standard English in Canada and USA the accent is the same, only way to tell the difference is Canadians say "aboot" instead of "about" or call electricity "hydro".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World