Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 12:15 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,527,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
What is your hatred towards religion this is why so many people athiests are some kind of religion heating devil worshipping mad people.

Religion has contributed alot to the world. Though i', not religious i respect OPEN MINDED religious people
Recently I have been reading the Bible. I read entirely the gospels of Matthew, John and currently I'm reading the gospel of Luke. The fact: most of christians who I know are actually christians only in the name. Jesus Christ tells us about tolerance, forgiveness, humility and altruism, so a true christian will never have a closed mind. Who judges and condemn the actions and personal style of other people "in the name of God" is in no way a true christian. Even the Christianity should not be engaged in political affairs. "For Cæsar what belongs to Cæsar, for God what belongs to God".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 12:16 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,527,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

Japan is probably the most atheistic country in the world.
Yes, but even Japan have some interesting religions, like Seicho-no-ie.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Old 12-11-2012, 12:19 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
What facts about the spread about religions around the world might surprise the layperson?

For instance, someone might expect Bangladesh to be mostly Hindu, but it's overwhelmingly Muslim. Similarly, Sri Lanka is mostly Buddhist and the Indonesian island of Bali is Hindu.

Germany is associated with Protestantism but has as many Catholics.

For some reason I didn't realize much of Eastern Europe was Catholic until lately, even Poland, even with Pope John Paul.

Kerala, in India, is 18% Christian, yet much of northern India, despite colonialism, is less than 1% Christian. Christianity is growing most rapidly in Africa. Most of sub-Saharan African is Christian, moreso than Europe. The estimates of Christians in China range from 13 to 100 million.

Japan is probably the most atheistic country in the world.

bangladesh is culturally similar to india - a hindu country

germany while having a slightly larger catholic population is not catholic in the way spain , italy or ireland is , its culturally protestant - lutheran , the netherlands is also culturally protestant - calvinist despite having an almost equal number of catholics and protestants

australia is hard to call but new zealand is most certainly culturally presbyterian as is scotland of course

western canada is culturally protestant while eastern canada is not , ive relatives in vancouver island and while catholic , are indistinguishable from the flanders family in the simpsons

i realise theese things are not offically recognised but like ive said before , religon has influenced countries to what they are today , even somewhere like denmark or sweeden , while largely post religous states , are both culturally lutheran

Old 12-11-2012, 02:55 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,243,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
bangladesh is culturally similar to india - a hindu country

germany while having a slightly larger catholic population is not catholic in the way spain , italy or ireland is , its culturally protestant - lutheran , the netherlands is also culturally protestant - calvinist despite having an almost equal number of catholics and protestants

australia is hard to call but new zealand is most certainly culturally presbyterian as is scotland of course

western canada is culturally protestant while eastern canada is not , ive relatives in vancouver island and while catholic , are indistinguishable from the flanders family in the simpsons

i realise theese things are not offically recognised but like ive said before , religon has influenced countries to what they are today , even somewhere like denmark or sweeden , while largely post religous states , are both culturally lutheran
In the Netherlands, it depends on the region. Some provinces have a strong Catholic identity, such as Limburg in the South, while others have a more Protestant (Calvinist) identity. As a whole, the country is not very religious though, only 1/3 of the population believes in God. Which is why the following fact might be surprising to some people:

The Netherlands has a Bible Belt with Amish-like communities. There are towns like Urk and Staphorst where many people still wear traditional clothing and don't use modern devices like television. These ultra-religious people tend to vote for the Christian fundamentalist political party SGP (which has 3/150 seats in Parliament) which doesn't allow women to become members and starts every meeting with prayers and reading the Bible.

Urk:

Staphorst:

Old 12-11-2012, 03:01 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,382,397 times
Extreme

Old 12-11-2012, 05:13 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Probably obvious to some, but Lebanon is 41% Christian, 5% Druze..54% Islamic. A lot of people think of the country as primarily Islamic (and it's over 50%), but there's almost as many Christians there.

Also, Up until recently there were over 30,000 Jews in Iran. The number is still around 9000 today. Before 1948, there were 250,000-350,000 Jews in Morocco, 140,000 in Algeria, 100,000-150,000 in Iran, 120,000 in Iraq, 110,000 in Tunisia, 75,000-80,000 in Egypt, 21,000 in Libya at one time in the 1930s, 80,000 in Afghanistan a long time ago, over 50,000 in Yemen, Tens of thousands in Turkey (still around 20,000 there).

A lot of people think that Arab/Muslims and Jews (well, a lot of middle eastern jews have the same blood as a lot of Arabs) have been fighting for a long time, but they lived pretty peacefully together for a long time until the early-ish 20th century (some Europeans didn't help matters).

Old 12-11-2012, 06:11 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
More than one-third of the people in Guatemala and Honduras regard themselves as Protestant, mostly Evangelical. Self-reported numbers for Guatemala are 40% ande Honduras 36% Protestant, but most have also retained membership in their family's traditional Catholic Church parish.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:53 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Tens of thousands in Turkey (still around 20,000 there).
There are also Christian communities in Turkey, for example Polonezköy -- a Polish village near Istanbul that is a popular weekend getaway and provides secular Turks with the opportunity to enjoy such Polish delicacies as vodka and pork.

Mavi Boncuk: Polonezkoy

Old 12-11-2012, 06:59 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
There are also Christian communities in Turkey, for example Polonezköy -- a Polish village near Istanbul that is a popular weekend getaway and provides secular Turks with the opportunity to enjoy such Polish delicacies as vodka and pork.

Mavi Boncuk: Polonezkoy
Turkey was majority Christian I think before the Ottomans (correct me if I'm wrong). In the ancient world western Anatolia was Greek, and many of the churches Paul writes to in his epistles like Ephesus and Gallacia were in Turkey (Asia Minor). Cappadocia is famous for it's many homes and churches hewn out of the natural 'domes.'

Old 12-11-2012, 07:06 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,748,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Don't care.

Cannot wait to get away from this country due to religion and when I move, I am going to make sure that I could goto a country where religion is not mentioned.
Is it really about religion, or is it more about ethnicity? I'm honestly asking because I don't know. Like, do people there believe that their religion is the right way, so they're trying to convert the other group. Or does that not even come into the picture? If it doesn't, then I would say that it really isn't about religion.

Just like in Israel. The Jews aren't trying to convert the Muslims, and the Muslims aren't trying to convert the Jews. They couldn't care less about the religious aspect. The religion part just comes with the ethnicity, and the real conflict is over land
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World