Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 03:35 AM

250 posts, read 503,171 times

Advertisements

I think the problem is that physical comedy is often poorly executed and poorer quality than topical/situational/observational comedy and satire, so there's a disproportionate tendency to view it as somehow inherently low brow.

Sight gags and slapstick can be delivered with a degree of sophistication and subtlety that puts a lot of non-physical comedy to shame, but there's no denying that a good proportion of slapstick is simply uninspired, crude and stupid. For example, I personally don't understand the humour in the constant eye-poking and face-slapping chicanery in Three Stooges sketches.

The physical gags in "Bottom" that I've linked above are also "crude and stupid", but at least they are supported by situational elements and excellent performances that make them entertaining. They are also presented as a counterposition to the more general stereotype of British humour being primarily based around sardonic witticisms:

However, I'm sure someone very astute will point out to me some nuance or allegory behind the Three Stooges that I've failed to notice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 04:26 AM

492 posts, read 1,009,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionIMPOSSIBRU View Post
This just goes to show how much American standup comedy has gone downhill.

I think you also miss the point about standup comedy not simply being about words but about attitude, timing and all those little physical subtleties in the way the words are delivered. As such -- it doesn't make standup that much more ' high brow ' than good ' slapstick '.
Oh no! I'm not trying to imply one is more sophisticated than the other. I'm just saying that one (Brazilian Humor) relies more on the body and movements, while the other (American Humor) prefers quick changes in the tone of voice and more of a buildup. American humor, I think, requires more patience, but ultimately ends up more memorable because you invested more into the joke, while Brazilian humor is more rapid-fire and allows for shorter, louder laughs.

I don't think slapstick or physical humor is more/less "high brow," but I do think it requires more ridiculousness, almost by definition.

And I really like Katt! I'm confused as to why you think he is representative of the demise of American comedy. After all, in the 80's there were guys smashing watermelons on stage...HOW is that comedy LOL?!

Old 01-03-2013, 04:56 AM

872 posts, read 1,385,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post
Oh no! I'm not trying to imply one is more sophisticated than the other. I'm just saying that one (Brazilian Humor) relies more on the body and movements, while the other (American Humor) prefers quick changes in the tone of voice and more of a buildup. American humor, I think, requires more patience, but ultimately ends up more memorable because you invested more into the joke, while Brazilian humor is more rapid-fire and allows for shorter, louder laughs.

I don't think slapstick or physical humor is more/less "high brow," but I do think it requires more ridiculousness, almost by definition.

And I really like Katt! I'm confused as to why you think he is representative of the demise of American comedy. After all, in the 80's there were guys smashing watermelons on stage...HOW is that comedy LOL?!
My bad. I didn't notice you'd also written the post before.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:25 AM

270 posts, read 260,415 times
Why is Jerry Lewis so popular in France? I never cared for his type of humor.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:19 AM

3,991 posts, read 6,795,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post

Well, Brazilian humor is a very varied thing, and has many styles.

I live in a state (CearĂ¡) that has produced many of the greatest comedians in Brazil, and that has a true professional "humor industry". The greatest genius of Brazilian humor, Chico Anysio, who passed away in 2012, was from CearĂ¡. He created over 100 humorous characters during his career, many of them well known of the Brazilian public for his TV shows in national networks.

There are diverse kinds of humor here. Many comedians rely on the physical thing, but many times they do it to satirize (and exaggerate) customs and manners.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:11 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
I don't like the Three Stooges or that type of comedy in general.

There are so many sorts of humor, it's hard to narrow it down to just ONE sort of sense of humor for the US - we're such a diverse lot. I mean, there's a lot of difference between the sort of humor that Woody Allen is loved for vs, say, Dave Chappelle - but both types are loved by many Americans. Often BOTH are loved by the SAME Americans.

"Friends" was quiet, subtle humor but wildly popular for decades in the US. Very different from, say, Roy White, who is also very popular.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Well, Brazilian humor is a very varied thing, and has many styles.

I live in a state (CearĂ¡) that has produced many of the greatest comedians in Brazil, and that has a true professional "humor industry". The greatest genius of Brazilian humor, Chico Anysio, who passed away in 2012, was from CearĂ¡. He created over 100 humorous characters during his career, many of them well known of the Brazilian public for his TV shows in national networks.

There are diverse kinds of humor here. Many comedians rely on the physical thing, but many times they do it to satirize (and exaggerate) customs and manners.
Well I mean Brazil is a huge country, it's going to have a varied palate of comedic choices. I still would characterize it as being less subtle and more overt than American humor though. This may have to do with the language, though. I think the English language allows for more freedom with words and has less stringent rules in order to make a joke.

I also think poking fun at customs.accents/etc. is a universally funny thing. I don't think it's typically Brazilian. Every country has its share of that kind of humor.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I don't like the Three Stooges or that type of comedy in general.

There are so many sorts of humor, it's hard to narrow it down to just ONE sort of sense of humor for the US - we're such a diverse lot. I mean, there's a lot of difference between the sort of humor that Woody Allen is loved for vs, say, Dave Chappelle - but both types are loved by many Americans. Often BOTH are loved by the SAME Americans.

"Friends" was quiet, subtle humor but wildly popular for decades in the US. Very different from, say, Roy White, who is also very popular.
One thing you will notice with all of those, however, is the use of quick turns of phrases, or subtle looks to make a point, as compared to something like the Three Stooges.

I think that's one thing the brits did give to us: Wit. However, I do think American humor is much more "wet" than British humor is.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:25 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
I just love Swedish humor!

buurdee, buurdee, bew.... ROFLMAO!

Old 01-03-2013, 11:36 AM

270 posts, read 260,415 times
Birdie, birdie with a yellow bill
Hopped upon my windowsill
Cocked a shining eye and says,
What did you do after you ate the meat -- loaf?

Axel was the funniest Swede I ever saw, except for the Swedish Chef
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World