Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 06:38 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
I like American newscaster / new reporter accent. It seems like a standard accent across US media.

A lot of these people are actually Canadian LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 07:14 PM

61,721 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Do other countries like the American accent
I don't think "the world" really cares. Seriously. There are so many dialects, accents/pronunciations, use
different vocabulary and grammar - why anyone except linguists would ponder that?

The standard American accent - what Americans think of as having no accent - is rhotic, meaning that speakers pronounce their “r’s.” Typical British accents is non-rhotic.
Americans kept their rhotic accent, for the most part. Port cities on the East Coast, especially in New England, had a lot of contact with the R-less Brits, and lots of people there don't pronounce the "r".
That's the main difference, IMHO.
As for liking? Brits and people who have more contact with Brits are used to their accent. And maybe for them American English sounds a little weird, but I don't think they dislike it.
Personally, I don't dislike American English (or any other type of English for that matter, Canadian, Australian, Indian, etc.) but I do dislike some of the more pretentious pronunciation. Like saying "erb" instead of "herb" and "fillet" as "fillay". I just don't find it sophisticated or clever

Old 10-30-2018, 01:28 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times
Very few people in Boston speak "Massachusetts English". Those who do tend to be old or workers, cops etc.

Old 10-30-2018, 02:54 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
You mean, "I paaked my caa in the Haavid yaad" and still call soft drinks "tonic"? I was born in Boston and I never spoke like that.

Old 10-30-2018, 03:50 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
I see a poster every now and then from the UK who says they either prefer, or more closely relate with the southern American accent vs the standard American accent. This is very interesting to me, as an American with the standard/Midwest accent, whatever you want to call it, these two accents sound as if they could not be further apart. Although perhaps it's UK speakers with the less well known accents to American ears that relate with the southern accent.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:44 AM

3 posts, read 2,646 times
At least american accent is easy to understand for those who learn english.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:31 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I
Personally, I don't dislike American English (or any other type of English for that matter, Canadian, Australian, Indian, etc.) but I do dislike some of the more pretentious pronunciation. Like saying "erb" instead of "herb" and "fillet" as "fillay". I just don't find it sophisticated or clever
Americans aren't trying to be "sophisticated or clever" but instead, generally that's how they/we have always heard these words pronounced and therefore how they learned to pronounce them. In fact, in the US it's generally considered incorrect English to say "herb" pronouncing the H or "fillet" pronouncing the T. It is also considered incorrect to pronounce "aluminum" as "aluMINium." Etc.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/...n/english/herb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef48X2Y65vM

This has nothing to do with pretentiousness so you can relax about that.

Do you pronounce the W in "sword?" Do you pronounce the G in "champagne?" The L in "salmon?" Come on.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:50 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I do dislike some of the more pretentious pronunciation. Like saying "erb" instead of "herb" and "fillet" as "fillay". I just don't find it sophisticated or clever
Pretention requires awareness. I assure you the average American is wholly unaware that they are mimicing French pronunciation when they say words like herb or filet; it is simply the consensus pronunciation. Or even if they know the pronunciations are French, they are unaware that much of the Anglophone world uses more prosaic pronunciations of those words.

For that matter, In the intervening 200+ years since the separation of the US and Britiain, the UK has become way more Francophilic (pretentious, even?) in its language.

Old 10-30-2018, 03:05 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
You mean, "I paaked my caa in the Haavid yaad" and still call soft drinks "tonic"? I was born in Boston and I never spoke like that.
Tonic is still frequently used by some people.

Old 10-30-2018, 04:00 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
I'm from Massachusetts and I don't talk that way. Some people still talk that way in the eastern portion of MA, New Hampshire, and probably Maine. We don't say "tonic" instead of "soda" either. But that accent extends quite a way inland in MA, as far as Worcester, MA. I find it to be one of the more ugly American accents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World