Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: EU or USA
European Union 119 45.25%
USA 144 54.75%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 01:48 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,537,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
What is the EU doing to improve this?
Well all medium to large cities typically push public transit or public intercity transit pretty hard, and it is much more common to take a train or bus than drive. Also, the minority who do drive usually drive smaller cars than in N. America. Cycling is often incredibly popular, too.

Then there is the fact that housing is typically different, with less space and appliances per person. Fridges are smaller, no drying machine, etc. There is just less energy expenditure per capita per average European, but the number of them and density of western Europe still keeps it polluted.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:34 AM

16,672 posts, read 17,437,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INsync3 View Post
Lol so what were the lines are, the point is I proved you wrong, Houston actually has a pretty well extensive light rail system not as good as European cities its size but its still pretty good.
It's good to see that the light railway has expanded since my time there and I believe that there are plans for further expansion.

I still don't agree that your point is proved when the main extent of the rail system is confined to the inner loop.

What's it like in Chicago?

Old 11-27-2013, 02:50 AM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
This isn't an arguable point--I don't see why any of you are carrying this on. Mass transit in the US overall is a lot worse than it is in Europe. That will likely be the case for decades even were the US to continue the expansion of various systems and the EU simply kept their transit systems as they are--which is also not happening.

The US has awesome national parks. The EU is not going to start creating giant old growth forests from scratch.

Each area has their own advantages. Stop trying to obfuscate something so ridiculously simple.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:58 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,547,556 times
Quote:
Lets see the USA is the largest most populated country to have limited its population so greatly, and the USA has less pollution than Europe. Its so sad what Europeans have to breath everyday.
No pollution where I live. Very clean air and water.

As for public transport, I live in a rural area and have a bus going past my house every hour.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:54 AM

242 posts, read 368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
It's good to see that the light railway has expanded since my time there and I believe that there are plans for further expansion.

I still don't agree that your point is proved when the main extent of the rail system is confined to the inner loop.

What's it like in Chicago?
Chicago has two different systems the CTA and the METRA, the CTA runs in the middle of the highways here as the metra doesn't.
This is the CTA

https://www.google.com/search?q=chic...ml%3B711%3B766

https://www.google.com/search?q=chic...ap%3B505%3B600

Old 11-27-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
No pollution where I live. Very clean air and water.

As for public transport, I live in a rural area and have a bus going past my house every hour.
Good for you, how many times do I have to say this, SAME IN THE USA! we do have buses running in rural areas you already told me that...

Old 11-27-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
This isn't an arguable point--I don't see why any of you are carrying this on. Mass transit in the US overall is a lot worse than it is in Europe. That will likely be the case for decades even were the US to continue the expansion of various systems and the EU simply kept their transit systems as they are--which is also not happening.

The US has awesome national parks. The EU is not going to start creating giant old growth forests from scratch.

Each area has their own advantages. Stop trying to obfuscate something so ridiculously simple.
Yes the EU has better transportation but people on here simply think every city except NYC doesn't have any transportation which isn't true.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Good for you, how many times do I have to say this, SAME IN THE USA! we do have buses running in rural areas you already told me that...
Rural areas with buses in the US? BS.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Rural areas with buses in the US? BS.
Foolish...mind of a typical European, doesn't look up any facts just bases things off of thin air. Lets see where should we start?

Old 11-27-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Foolish...mind of a typical European, doesn't look up any facts just bases things off of thin air. Lets see where should we start?
Hmmm....looks like a lot of darker green areas with no service. This also doesn't tell how frequent and where the services are in the rural areas that actually get service.

Nope. Not feeling foolish. All my relatives live in suburbs, not even rural areas, in the US and only one has any type of bus service and that is limited to where it goes.

Oh, and how many times do I have to repeat to you that I'm not European.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World