Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: EU or USA
European Union 119 45.25%
USA 144 54.75%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 02:33 PM

16,671 posts, read 17,437,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by INsync3 View Post
Like what? Name one city you cant get around without a car?
Houston.

I lived there in the NW suburbs and there was no public transportation around for miles.

If you wanted to take public transport downtown you drove to the park and ride about four miles away.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Well good thing we have cars.

We don't really obsess over public transportation over here because most people own cars and we have nice large interstate freeway and state highway system and cheap gas prices.
For how long?

It's gone up quite a bit in the last few years.

With countries like China and India competing more for a finite resource how long can you rely on that?

Houston relies very much on car ownership and is in a constant battle to prevent meltdown on the freeways.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:08 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Houston relies very much on car ownership and is in a constant battle to prevent meltdown on the freeways.
Yea the same problem pretty much every other city in the world goes through.
Rush hour is a headache in any major city, off peak hours the traffic flow can get up to 85 mph on some Houston are freeways.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Yea the same problem pretty much every other city in the world goes through.
Rush hour is a headache in any major city, off peak hours the traffic flow can get up to 85 mph on some Houston are freeways.
The point is that for the most part there is a limited alternative to taking the car in Houston.

For what is the fourth biggest city in the US it is severely lacking in public transport.

For example when I left a few years back the only railway was a stretch between the medical center and downtown.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:35 PM

72 posts, read 112,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLess View Post
USA by a mile

I will never ever want to live anywhere in Europe due to following reasons:

* Everything is smaller (houses/apartments, roads, food portions, buildings, stores, etc.)
* High unemployment rate (Esp. in Eastern and Southern Europe)
* High youth unemployment rate in Western and Northern Europe
* Very high taxes
* Basically everything is more expensive
* Confusing road system and signs
* Less demographic diversity (but too high Islamic immigration)
* Less freedom
* Lack of skyscrapers in most cities
* No real and true suburban area like in the U.S..
* Close to the Middle East (generally bad region)
* Less climate and landscape diversity (No tropical or desert climate in mainland Europe, and most of Europe have much less sunshine than most of U.S. and even Canada)
* Too many national languages (You need to learn another language)
* Way less shopping stores and shopping opportunity (No wonder why Europeans go crazy when shopping in America)
* Big houses (McMansions) are rare
* Having own individual car is relatively uncommon
* Central Air and Heat is rare and something luxury
* Everything is too old
* Jante law in Scandinavia
* Higher racism and most Europeans are cold
* Less religious / High rate of atheism

Only the state of California offers more diversity in terms of climate, landscape/scenery, culture and others than all of EU combined despite being the size of Sweden in area.

Europe doesn't have New York City, Miami, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, New Orleans, Seattle, Philadelphia, Boston, Washington DC, Phoenix, Denver, Orlando, Honolulu, and being close to Canada, Mexico, Central America, and all Caribbean islands.
I dojn't agree with you on all fronts... I live in Italy but yes I prefer the USA....PS: Italy is a mess but the climate is fairly good and the people are not " Cold " !!!

Old 11-25-2013, 03:54 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Well good thing we have cars.

We don't really obsess over public transportation over here because most people own cars and we have nice large interstate freeway and state highway system and cheap gas prices.
Actually, cars exist in many places in the world including in the EU!

I do like not having to drive for anything I want to get done. I like driving, too, but I like it as an option for when I feel like it. I don't really see how the comparative lack of mass transit options for most US cities qualifies as a real advantage.

Extensive natural parks and the incredible western half of the US when it comes to natural scenery--now that's a real advantage. Less useful mass transit options? Not so much.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:07 PM

242 posts, read 368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, I tried it in Phoenix, Austin, and various parts of Orange County and it had been pretty awful. You're technically right in the sense that you can feasibly walk to places--it's just that you'd be walking for many hours a day to get some very basic things done. Now, maybe you can bike, but a lot of drivers in the US aren't so used to sharing the road with bikes, so it has its dangers. And yea, there's usually some level of mass transit in US cities, but that bar is sometimes set incredibly low. Regardless, in a comparison topic, the average ease of getting around without a car to get just basic things done is much better in EU cities than in the US and it is a humongous difference we are talking about (the average).
They all have busses, Invincble is right I don't get why people are obsess with public transportation seriously, here in the states people want to own a car and the roads and freeways here are awesome I mean why wouldn't you not want to drive this?

https://www.google.com/search?q=larg...2F%3B499%3B493

Old 11-25-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
The point is that for the most part there is a limited alternative to taking the car in Houston.

For what is the fourth biggest city in the US it is severely lacking in public transport.

For example when I left a few years back the only railway was a stretch between the medical center and downtown.
So you been to Houston? Next time research before you just start saying things.
This is Houston's Light Rail

Old 11-25-2013, 04:13 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Actually, cars exist in many places in the world including in the EU!

I do like not having to drive for anything I want to get done. I like driving, too, but I like it as an option for when I feel like it. I don't really see how the comparative lack of mass transit options for most US cities qualifies as a real advantage.

Extensive natural parks and the incredible western half of the US when it comes to natural scenery--now that's a real advantage. Less useful mass transit options? Not so much.
America's densest cities have plenty of mass transit options, don't expect a large subway system in places like Phoenix or Houston because of the low density.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
For how long?

It's gone up quite a bit in the last few years.

With countries like China and India competing more for a finite resource how long can you rely on that?

How long well every year gas goes down since the recession, because of America increasing in production of gas and oil, number 1 producer in the world, good for America, this is also helping start a booming economy for an already developed country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World