Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who should host the 2020 summer Olympics? Istanbul, Madrid, or Tokyo?
Istanbul 37 50.68%
Madrid 15 20.55%
Tokyo 21 28.77%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 11:09 AM

936 posts, read 3,191,702 times

Advertisements

Which city should host the 2020 summer Olympics? Istanbul, Madrid, or Tokyo? and why?

The winner will be announced at an IOC conference in Buenos Aires on September 7, 2013.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 11:12 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times
I voted Istanbul. I think it's that city's time to shine. A once great city, I think it's rising again, and I feel it should be more internationally renowned, at least on the level of Rome, Berlin, Madrid in terms of international perception.

Barcelona had it in 1992, maybe wait a bit longer before Spain gets it again. Tokyo already had it, I prefer to see new cities hosting.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I voted Istanbul. I think it's that city's time to shine. A once great city, I think it's rising again, and I feel it should be more internationally renowned, at least on the level of Rome, Berlin, Madrid in terms of international perception.

Barcelona had it in 1992, maybe wait a bit longer before Spain gets it again. Tokyo already had it, I prefer to see new cities hosting.
I agree 100%. Istanbul is probably the most interesting city in the world. It was the urban center and capital of many great empires, and it's flourishing today. I hear great things about the Grand Bazaar.

The one concern IOC voters might have is the topic of security, since Istanbul is surrounded by an unstable region. Do we see the middle East becoming more peaceful as we edge closer towards 2020?

Then again, Qatar will be hosting the 2022 World Cup, which I believe was a fine choice!!

Old 05-30-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
I agree 100%. Istanbul is probably the most interesting city in the world. It was the urban center and capital of many great empires, and it's flourishing today. I hear great things about the Grand Bazaar.

The one concern IOC voters might have is the topic of security, since Istanbul is surrounded by an unstable region. Do we see the middle East becoming more peaceful as we edge closer towards 2020?

Then again, Qatar will be hosting the 2022 World Cup, which I believe was a fine choice!!
Istanbul is to me one of the most fascinating cities in the world too. I hope to visit soon.

I don't think that should be a problem. Turkey is a safe, relatively stable country. Istanbul itself isn't in the heart of the Middle East anyway.

I personally don't think Qatar was a good choice, but there you go.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:30 AM

That's true, Istanbul seems to be the gateway city between the East and the West, and is on the very stable western coast of Turkey.

Really? You don't think Qatar was a good choice? I only like the idea because it will show the middle east that the world is not snubbing them... and Qatar is virtually the Monaco of the region, so we can expect adequate infrastructure and security for the matches.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
That's true, Istanbul seems to be the gateway city between the East and the West, and is on the very stable western coast of Turkey.

Really? You don't think Qatar was a good choice? I only like the idea because it will show the middle east that the world is not snubbing them... and Qatar is virtually the Monaco of the region, so we can expect adequate infrastructure and security for the matches.
Actually I suppose there's no good reason i know of not to, I think I just heard somewhere the voting wasn't totally fair but I don't know anything about it. 2022 is a long way off, anyway.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:53 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,346,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Actually I suppose there's no good reason i know of not to, I think I just heard somewhere the voting wasn't totally fair but I don't know anything about it. 2022 is a long way off, anyway.
The heat will be a huge problem.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:16 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,740,073 times
I think Istanbul should host it given that the Olympics have never been hosted in a Muslim country before plus Turkey can afford it unlike Madrid/Spain with their current economic issues. At the same time Turkey is very modern, secular, and pro west so Olympic attendees can feel more at ease there than say Qatar or the United Arab Emirates.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:23 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,489,002 times
Madrid, it has the best infraestructures and the work is already done. (Full of sport areas) It is also the safest. It would be good for economy and employment. A lot of hotel offer and they have tried it a lot of times. etc

Old 05-30-2013, 12:34 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,849,637 times
Madrid for me. Hopefully they get their books in order first though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World