Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 06:22 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,527,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
I have to say what some people have been saying about Argentinians and Uruguayns is true

while here its OBVIOUS when someone is from another nearby country (that country being either brazil -non spanish speaking, so truly obvious-, but also Chile, Peru, Bolivia, Paraguay, Ecuador, etc), and its even obvious when someone is from another province from the same Argentina, sometimes its very very hard to tell an Uruguay apart. I mean, i have been in a situation in where i was speaking with a person for hours and then this person told me "Im Uruguayan" and i was thinking the person was argentinian all along , while that same thing would be impossible from people from any other country, and even from people from other provinces from argentina that have different accents.

I mean, Uruguay and most Argentina (bar some northern provinces that have different accents and looks) are SO similar in looks/demeanors/accents that you cant even tell them apart! you cant even tell if someone is uruguayan while you talk to them!!

I wonder if this happens to Americans/Canadians with eachother
Despite of the language, I see the uruguayans much more related to the southern brazilians than to Argentina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 07:00 AM

626 posts, read 1,241,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
English Canada/United States
Uruguay/Argentina
Ireland/United Kingdom
Germany/Austria/Switzerland
Dominican Republic/Puerto Rico/Cuba
Venezuela/Colombia
Ecuador/Colombia
Sweden/Denmark/Norway
Mexico/El Salvador
Nicaragua/Honduras
I would add Perú.

Very similar...or more so...with Ecuador, especially in the coastal regions.
In the past, I (Ecuadorian) have been confused by Peruvians as being one....similar slang, verbs, manners, foods, accent, etc.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:06 PM

50 posts, read 102,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
Despite of the language, I see the uruguayans much more related to the southern brazilians than to Argentina.
One of the most disputed borders of South America for obvious reasons, the pre-Uruguayan History is also part of Portuguese History (and it was part of the Portuguese Empire for a while).

So your statement makes sense.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:03 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,324,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameX View Post
Which nationalities are soo similar that they hard to tell apart from each other. And what makes em so similar.

Here's a list of nationalities I think are extremely similar.
Americans and Canadians.. similar history and culture
Mexicans and Guatemalans
British and Irish
Spanish and Portuguese
Jamaicans and Bajans
Puerto Ricans and Dominicans
Salvadorans and Hondorans
Panamanians and Costa Ricans
Haitians and French West Africans
Italians and French
Greeks and Turkish
Trinidadians and Guyanese
North Korean and Chinese
South Korean and Japanese
LOL. Those ones are usually ones that you can tell apart.

I don't get the one about Haitians and French West Africans. They are all very different.

And Koreans (North and South) differ from Japanese and Chinese.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameX View Post
Which nationalities are soo similar that they hard to tell apart from each other. And what makes em so similar.

Here's a list of nationalities I think are extremely similar.
Americans and Canadians.. similar history and culture
Mexicans and Guatemalans
British and Irish
Spanish and Portuguese
Jamaicans and Bajans
Puerto Ricans and Dominicans
Salvadorans and Hondorans
Panamanians and Costa Ricans
Haitians and French West Africans
Italians and French
Greeks and Turkish
Trinidadians and Guyanese
North Korean and Chinese
South Korean and Japanese
LOL. Panamanians and Costa Ricans are very different.

Panamanians have historically and culturally been an integral part of Colombia and South America.

And lol. Italians and French are totally different. The French region that borders Italy has some things in common and Corsica which is part of France has things in common with Meditarranean nations and Italy, but France in general is different from Italy.

France probably has more in common with Spain.

Spain and Portugal are different too but I could see some of the immense similarities and their languages bare similarities.

Romance/Latin derived language speaking nations will share things in common due to religion and Catholicism and language similarities and bases.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:12 PM

Panama/Colombia/Ecuador/Venezuela share a lot of similarities culturally.

Martinique, Guadeloupe, Dominica, Saint Lucia are like virtually the same cultures and have intertwined histories, and language, and dialects and food and cuisines in common. They mirror each other virtually identically.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cholo57 View Post
I would add Perú.

Very similar...or more so...with Ecuador, especially in the coastal regions.
In the past, I (Ecuadorian) have been confused by Peruvians as being one....similar slang, verbs, manners, foods, accent, etc.

Bolivians and Peruvians are similar to each other in many aspects and in certain regions.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I think that Arabs from different countries are hard to tell apart.
That depends on what you are speaking about when you use the term Arab. There are various religious and ethnic groups that live in Arab and Muslim nations and make up the mosaic and fabric of what is called Arab culture and Arab people. Arabs can be of any race. The Arab and Muslim Islamic slave trade imported hundreds of millions of black African slaves to the Middle East and Asia since ancient times, so that explain why there are many dark Arabs and Arabs that are black.

Arab is more of a pan cultural term.

Many Syrians and Lebanese tend to be Caucasian Arabs or white Arabs and are Christian.

There are also many Arab Jews in the Middle East just as there are Arab Christians and Arab Muslims.

It's hard to say what a stereotypical Arab look is due to the mixtures and diversity of groups that have been living in so called Arab cultural areas and spaces over the past several centuries.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I'm going to add:

Filipinos-Guamanians
Yes and I would throw in Mexicans and Samoans and people from the Marinara Islands as having many things in common with Guamanians and Filipinos.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Latin American countries are kinda difficult because there is a mix of people in every country. They have mestizos, mulattos, whites, blacks, Native Americans. So for instance, a mestizo from Mexico won't look different from a mestizo from Argentina. A mulatto from Venezuela won't look much different from a mulatto in Cuba. So that's why I laugh when Latin Americans think that the rest of us are supposed to be able to differentiate them by looks. It's not like other places like Asia, Europe, and Africa where most people have been there for thousands of years. Most of the population of Latin America has ancestry from relatively recent arrivals (Europeans, Africans). The only group that will look different from country to country in Latin America are the Native Americans because they've been there for thousands of years and have evolved to look different based on where they live.

Yea. Guamanians (Chamorros) could be one of the many ethnic groups in the Philippines.
Native Americans (that term is debatable and flawed btw) originated in Asia and migrated across the Bering Strait bridge connecting Asiatic Russia with Alaska and they crossed into Alaska and spread out throughout the Western Hemisphere and the islands and land masses.

And Guamanians have things in common with Philippines due to the very heavy Spanish influence

Philippines and Mexico have the most in common with each other culturally and historically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World