Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Beautiful Continent in the World
Europe 102 31.29%
Asia 59 18.10%
Australia/Oceania 17 5.21%
North Amerca 106 32.52%
South America 45 13.80%
Africa 45 13.80%
Antarctica 15 4.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 326. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 08:27 PM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times

Advertisements

From a larger perspective taken into account the variety, colors, culture, and scenery and mostly form a visual standpoint what would you consider the world most beautiful continent?.

Here is some criteria to rate multiple options

-Best looking cities:
-Best Mountains:
-Best beaches & coastlines:
-Best Deserts:
-Best rainforest/jungle:
-Best Polar/Subpolar regions (Arctic/Patagonia etc):
-Most unique or unusual landscapes:

And then rate.....

-Best overall - Most beautiful continent.
Tell us why overall you think your singular choice is the best overall most beautiful continent.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 10-19-2013 at 08:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 08:41 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times
-Best looking cities: Probably Europe

-Best Mountains: North America

-Best beaches & coastlines: Beaches - Europe & Australia, Coastlines - North America

-Best Deserts: Africa

-Best rainforest/jungle: South America

-Best Polar/Subpolar (Arctic/Patagonia etc): Hmm...North America?

-Most unique or unusual landscapes: South America

Why?

Isn't it obvious?

I can't pick a singular best of the best, really. They're all pretty great over all. If I pick I'm going to say North America, just because it has Canada in it, and that's not right to do.

No nevermind. North America.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:57 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,525,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
From a larger perspective taken into account the variety, colors, culture, and scenery and mostly form a visual standpoint what would you consider the world most beautiful continent?.

-Best looking cities:
-Best Mountains:
-Best Deserts:
-Best rainforest/jungle:

And then rate.....

Tell us why overall you think your singular choice is the best overall most beautiful continent.
Best looking cities: Europe, no doubt.
Best mountains: tie. All, except Africa and Oceania, have impressive mountains: Alps, Himalaia, Andes, Rocky Mountains.
Best beaches and coastlines: Oceania
Best deserts: I don't see beauty in deserts, so I'll not reply to this.
Best rainforest: South America
Best polar/subpolar regions: North America
Most unique or unusual landscapes: Africa and Asia.

Best overall: Europe. Not due to a specific category, but due to the balance: the beauty minus the ugliness.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Old 10-19-2013, 09:12 PM

-Best looking cities: Europe. It can't be topped. North America takes it for some of the most beautiful geographical settings and topography for cities (Seattle, Vancouver, San Francisco etc..), Asia takes it for skylines, but for overall cityscapes, architecture, and infrastructure Europe undoubtedly has the most beautiful cities.

-Best Mountains: South America. The Himalayas are mightier, but I think the Andes are more beautiful and gorgeous. Torres del Paine in Chile alone is the most stunning and striking mountainscape in the world.

-Best beaches & coastlines: Australia. There's a lot of competition here for sure, but Australia has the nicest looking and most colorful beaches in the world, and fortunately seems t have a lot of wild and undeveloped shore left. Throw in the rest of Oceania like the New Zealand and Polynesian Islands (Bora Bora is a big winner as well) and it becomes a landslide.

-Best Deserts: North America. most variety of desert mountain ranges, rock formations, interesting and beautiful vegetation (especially the saguaro cacti in the Sonoran desert of Arizona and Mexico) and there is nowhere in the world quite like the Grand Canyon.

-Best rainforest/jungle: South America. Nothing edges out the Amazon

-Best Polar/Subpolar regions : South America. I think Patagonia, the fjords, mountains, and glaciers of Chile have some of the most soul stirring beauty in the world.

-Most unique or unusual landscapes: Africa. Mainly for its variety of biodiversity and the endless expanse of the Golden Sahara.

-Best overall - Most beautiful continent: North America . Simply for its variety of topography from deserts, canyons, seemingly every type of mountain variety, its Arctic reaches, tropical island archipelagos, variety of rocky and sandy coastlines, prairies, vast forests, and abundant clean fresh water.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 10-19-2013 at 09:22 PM..

Old 10-20-2013, 05:15 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,284,957 times
I think Europe has the least interesting natural look , especially if you include wildlife , Europe doesn't have anything like the other animals - creatures in this sense

Old 10-20-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
I think Europe has the least interesting natural look , especially if you include wildlife , Europe doesn't have anything like the other animals - creatures in this sense
Especially in terms of beaches, outside of the Algarve in Portugal, Europe's beaches just don't look as inviting as other parts of the world.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:16 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,533,072 times
I can't possibly be the only person to think this thread is inane. ENTIRE continents? They all have the same basic range of things except maybe Europe and Oceania, which isn't even a conventional continent anyways.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:24 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
All continents are pretty much the same, with the same general features that can found practically everywhere in all of them.

Guess the continent: (If you actually want to try to guess them, don't put your mouse pointer on the picture.)

A--
https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...246.73,,0,-1.8

B--
https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...,24.56,,0,9.13

C--
https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...335.31,,0,2.31

D--
https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...17.51,,0,-5.66

E--
https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...167.32,,0,2.36

F--
https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...,132.17,,0,2.7
Spoiler

A. Central Asia, near Russia Kazakh border.
B. Central North America, Missouri
C. Central South America, Rondonia, Brazil
D. Central Europe, Czech Republic
E. South Africa
F. Interior Australia, New South Wales

Last edited by jtur88; 10-20-2013 at 08:49 AM..

Old 10-20-2013, 08:48 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post

-Best looking cities:
-Best Mountains:
-Best Deserts:
-Best rainforest/jungle:

And then rate.....

I think this is silly and subjective but I'll have a crack:

-Best looking cities: Depends if you're a big skyline fan or not, but I'd also go with Europe. They just seem prettier at street-level, and I mean Europe still has a few cities with nice skylines, Frankfurt, London or Paris (La Defence). Low skylines can also be attractive.

-Best mountains: Although the Andes are my favourite mountain range, and Mt McKinley has the highest topographical prominence of any peak in the world, you can't go past Asia for it's sheer diversity. Not only the Himalayas, but scores of very high mountain ranges, and so many, from Turkey and Armenia to Burma to Japan. South America second, North America, Europe, Africa then Oceania.

-Best beaches coastlines: Tie between Asia and Europe and Oceania (basically Eurasia) although it's really tough since a lot of African and South American beaches are unexplored. For pristineness Australia/Oceania.

-Best deserts: Personally North America. The deserts of Utah, Arizona, NM, California, Mexico have some beautiful landscapes.

-Best rainforest jungle: While the Amazon might be the mightiest and famous, I love the Asian jungle. But for size and diversity I suppose the Amazon so South America.

-Best polar/sub-polar regions: Tie between North and South America. Alaska and Patagonia have such a surreal beauty.

-Most unique or unusual landscape: Probably South America. From the towering cliffs of Venezuela, to the surreal blue ice-bergs and mountains of where the Andes meet the sea in Patagonia.

I can't choose a winner overall...Asia wins for sheer diversity, though.

Old 10-20-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I can't possibly be the only person to think this thread is inane. ENTIRE continents? They all have the same basic range of things except maybe Europe and Oceania, which isn't even a conventional continent anyways.
Take it easy, a huge amount of the content in these forums are based on subjective opinions anyway , which is why they generate discussions, agreements and disagreements, therefore making them more interesting. And since when do blogs and especially ones where different opinions are shared follow hardline conventional guidelines? That and obviously some continents have more superlatives to offer than others and different ranges of beauty that hold appeal to some and not to others.

In the eye of this beholder I see differences in the scope of beauty between the Andes and the Rockies, between the beaches of Europe and Australia. There, now that we've gotten past the "conventional rules" we can make this thread fun and share our differences in opinion.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 10-20-2013 at 09:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World