Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 07:48 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Shhhhhh. What's wrong with you? There are Americans reading this. We're not supposed to hear stuff like this about Iran.
Iran | Travel advice | Smartraveller: The Australian Government's travel advisory and consular assistance service

I'm not risking anything going to Iran. United States isn't the only country that thinks it's not a safe place to visit. I'm not risking my life to see a country I don't give two sh*ts about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 08:28 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
^ ^ Dunno, but seems like it wasn't all that long ago that Chile had more than its own share of "problems" (also due to American intervention, just like Iran)!

Yeah, would definitely agree that SE Asia seems to offer the most "bang for the buck", especially Vietnam and Indonesia these days. And the quality and 'skill' level are also excellent, along with the 'affordability'!

Old 01-21-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
^ ^ Dunno, but seems like it wasn't all that long ago that Chile had more than its own share of "problems" (also due to American intervention, just like Iran)!

Yeah, would definitely agree that SE Asia seems to offer the most "bang for the buck", especially Vietnam and Indonesia these days. And the quality and 'skill' level are also excellent, along with the 'affordability'!
Exactly, the safety in a country can change quickly.. so why go when it is in a state of turmoil or dangerous to see?

Take a look at Colombia, going in the early 90s was dangerous and for the last 10 years or so it is a rather safe destination. I had been trying to plan a trip to Syria not too long ago.. maybe 3 years ago. I really wanted to see Aleppo. At the time, it was a safe trip.. now look at it.

I'd love to see Vietnam though. I came really close to going there not too long ago but my plans fell through due to unfortunate circumstances. SE Asia would be a cool place to see, but I think pretty much anywhere in Asia would be interesting.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:

One thing I still am confused by in this is the US intervention and helping Pinochet. I think I'll get a book on this someday. What benefit could that have possibly had?

Old 01-21-2014, 09:29 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Well basically it was the good old American practice of publicly championing "freedom" and "democracy", while privately making more "pragmatic" choices, like supporting whichever leader or regime was viewed as 'best' for U.S. strategic and financial interests. That's how folks like Batista, the Shah of Iran, Saddam Hussein, and yes, Pinochet came to power (and how they managed to remain there for so long)!

Old 01-21-2014, 09:31 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,091,738 times
Quote:
Well basically it was the good old American practice of publicly championing "freedom" and "democracy", while privately making more "pragmatic" choices, like supporting whichever leader or regime was viewed as 'best' for U.S. strategic and financial interests. That's how folks like Batista, the Shah of Iran, Saddam Hussein, and yes, Pinochet came to power (and how they managed to remain there for so long)!
True

Old 01-21-2014, 10:27 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,188,270 times
From my experience: UAE. Americans are way too tip-hungry.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:35 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,188,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
The Middle East, like Dubai, Bahrain or Kuwait (note that Kuwait is "dry"). Because, no labor laws, no minimum wage, good infrastructure, and lots of cheap labor imported from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and the Phillippines.

One could debate the morality of hiring people who are clearly glorified slaves, but this is the most direct answer to your question.

It's crazy - the amount of people looking for jobs in these countries. If you have the bucks to spare, you'll have two people fighting to open your car, three people fighting to take your luggage to your house, well you get the idea...
Yes, I feel embarrassed, especially coming from an equal country like Norway.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:10 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Iran | Travel advice | Smartraveller: The Australian Government's travel advisory and consular assistance service

I'm not risking anything going to Iran. United States isn't the only country that thinks it's not a safe place to visit. I'm not risking my life to see a country I don't give two sh*ts about.
Now that's more like it. this is what we're used to hearing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World