U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-17-2008, 08:52 AM
 
783 posts, read 2,452,694 times
Reputation: 340

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar08 View Post
As an African-American myself I was just wondering what people in other countries thought about us, if at all? Being that the U.S. has one of the largest if not the largest black population in the developed world are we seen as part of the America or does the thought never really cross your mind? I'm not here to judge I just want an honest interpretation of blacks in America from an outside source.
Sadly, in one statement horrible pigs.

That perception must be corrected if you ask me.

Last edited by npumcrisz; 02-17-2008 at 08:54 AM.. Reason: sp
Rate this post positively

 
Old 02-17-2008, 12:01 PM
 
384 posts, read 1,644,441 times
Reputation: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
*sigh* I was speaking in context of AMERICA not the world (sigh) the topic is african americans right? they live in America innit?
Well Marcus Garvey is Jamaican not African American who led civil rights activities here in America so I would say your argument has no value because EVERYONE........black and white contributed to the freedom of blacks in America...or have you forgotten that there were whites who fought alongside blacks in America so that we can have the same rights? In addition, the OP stated they wanted the opinion of those around the world, you bought up the issue of blacks from other countries not recognizing black Americans efforts for the freedom we have now....but like I said, was it just black Americans who are responsible for the freedom we have now?

Last edited by Jadel812; 02-17-2008 at 12:25 PM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-17-2008, 07:17 PM
 
Location: City of North Las Vegas, NV
11,674 posts, read 8,500,043 times
Reputation: 3232
There are many Ethiopians that I know and they all dislike african-americans.
There is nothing in common between them just there is nothing between a third or fourth generation "fill in the blank_______ american, ex. italian-american.

The roots are long gone and there can't be brought back through african clothes or music. You and your parents have to LIVE in africa to be even considered somewhat african.
True africans think this is funny. Americans wannabe africans.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-18-2008, 07:11 AM
 
Location: America
6,993 posts, read 16,285,530 times
Reputation: 2083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadel812 View Post
Well Marcus Garvey is Jamaican not African American who led civil rights activities here in America so I would say your argument has no value because EVERYONE........black and white contributed to the freedom of blacks in America...or have you forgotten that there were whites who fought alongside blacks in America so that we can have the same rights? In addition, the OP stated they wanted the opinion of those around the world, you bought up the issue of blacks from other countries not recognizing black Americans efforts for the freedom we have now....but like I said, was it just black Americans who are responsible for the freedom we have now?
true, because of Marcus Garvey's movement, civil rights was won, him and his failed back to Africa movement. Had nothing to do with Martin Luther King or the marching done by African Americans in the 50 and 60s right? Yep, that Marcus Garvey did it all. You are 100% correct.

Jadel the OVERWHELMING majority of these people involved in these movements were African Americans PERIOD.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-18-2008, 09:11 AM
 
384 posts, read 1,644,441 times
Reputation: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
true, because of Marcus Garvey's movement, civil rights was won, him and his failed back to Africa movement. Had nothing to do with Martin Luther King or the marching done by African Americans in the 50 and 60s right? Yep, that Marcus Garvey did it all. You are 100% correct.

Jadel the OVERWHELMING majority of these people involved in these movements were African Americans PERIOD.

Funny I don't recall saying that they overwhelming majority weren't Black Americans, I disputed your logic that if it weren't for African Americans blacks coming to this country wouldn't have had the opportunities bestowed on them. When in actuallity it wasn't JUST Black Americans, but as many black Americans, they fail to see the efforts of other groups involved... MARCUS GARVEY Was one of the pioneers of civil rights movements... But let me ask you a question since you want to go there? If Black Americans are the reason why other blacks coming to America having these opportunities that would never have been available to them if it weren't for the efforts of an all black american moventment........why is it that most Black Americans here in America are so oppressed and blame everyone but themselves for their failures. Why didn't black Americans take advantage of what their leaders fought for and get themselves out of the rut that most have found themselves in? You would think that since our fathers fought for us we would have appreciated what they have done and try to be better? Why blame those blacks that come from other countries for stealing your jobs and your homes when black Americans have had it litterally handed down to them? Yes black Americans may be the "reason why blacks have so many opportunities" as you claim, but why have most chosen NOT to take advantage of those opportunities? And why bash people like Bill Cosby for talking the truth? Now maybe you can have a good perspective of why some blacks from other countries don't have much regard for blacks born here....the values that the majority of you possesx are not up to par with those of most people who want to make something of themselves. And when those who come here try to make something of themselves, they are often faced with animosity from none other than blacks themselves. Bottom line is, a Black American would embrace people from other countries but scorn blacks from other countries, and yet you expect to be respected???????? Respect is earned and quite a few of you haven't earned that world wide respect yet and won't if your mentalities don't change.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-18-2008, 10:32 AM
 
Location: The Heart of Dixie
9,352 posts, read 13,948,141 times
Reputation: 6244
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsquire View Post
Well, at least in Taiwan a lot of people based their opinions on what they saw on TV, which didn't turn out too well. I lived in Taiwan for about two years and heard some interesting ideas of America. Some of my friends in Taiwan have asked me if African Americans are all violent, gangsters and thieves, no thanks to movies and coverage of Katrina. Of course I said no, and that they shouldn't trust everything on TV.
Pretty interesting given that there are hardly any movies where the main baddies are blacks. A lot of weatlhy white males presented as villains though. In most moveis or TV shows, blacks are presented in respected positions like police officers, FBI agents, office managers, etc. Even in Spiderman, all of the random thugs happen to be white for some reason.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-19-2008, 07:48 AM
 
Location: Toledo
3,856 posts, read 7,991,686 times
Reputation: 3711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadel812 View Post
Funny I don't recall saying that they overwhelming majority weren't Black Americans, I disputed your logic that if it weren't for African Americans blacks coming to this country wouldn't have had the opportunities bestowed on them. When in actuallity it wasn't JUST Black Americans, but as many black Americans, they fail to see the efforts of other groups involved... MARCUS GARVEY Was one of the pioneers of civil rights movements... But let me ask you a question since you want to go there? If Black Americans are the reason why other blacks coming to America having these opportunities that would never have been available to them if it weren't for the efforts of an all black american moventment........why is it that most Black Americans here in America are so oppressed and blame everyone but themselves for their failures. Why didn't black Americans take advantage of what their leaders fought for and get themselves out of the rut that most have found themselves in? You would think that since our fathers fought for us we would have appreciated what they have done and try to be better? Why blame those blacks that come from other countries for stealing your jobs and your homes when black Americans have had it litterally handed down to them? Yes black Americans may be the "reason why blacks have so many opportunities" as you claim, but why have most chosen NOT to take advantage of those opportunities? And why bash people like Bill Cosby for talking the truth? Now maybe you can have a good perspective of why some blacks from other countries don't have much regard for blacks born here....the values that the majority of you possesx are not up to par with those of most people who want to make something of themselves. And when those who come here try to make something of themselves, they are often faced with animosity from none other than blacks themselves. Bottom line is, a Black American would embrace people from other countries but scorn blacks from other countries, and yet you expect to be respected???????? Respect is earned and quite a few of you haven't earned that world wide respect yet and won't if your mentalities don't change.
Hmmm, maybe you need to keep better company because most black Americans I know don't blame whites for their failures and many do take advantage of the opportunities offered to them. This is the exact attitude that Wildstyle was talking about. Moderator cut: Let's leave out the personal comments

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 02-19-2008 at 08:45 PM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-19-2008, 09:22 AM
 
Location: America
6,993 posts, read 16,285,530 times
Reputation: 2083
Jadel

First of all, my family is from a West African country (which I will not name here). So your attempt to dismiss what I have said based on my supposedly being a Black American doesn't hold here sweety. But the fact remains, it was African Americans who spear headed civil rights movements, it was them who suffered under the yoke of oppression in this country and it was them who struggled and died en masse for freedoms here. Your attempt to downplay the issue is beyond absurd. Yes, it was because of African Americans that you and every other non white immigrant can do what you do in this country. If African Americans didn't fight jim crow laws or if people didn't refuse to sit in the back of the bus or if they didn't fight for school integration then guess what? YOU would not be able to do much of anything you are able to do in this country right now. Lie to yourself all you want, down play it all you want, you are just reinforcing many stereo types I have heard people say about west indians.

No one is saying a small group of people other than African Americans may have been a part of the cause. Heck Jewish Americans and WASPS also played some role, but it was still the African American struggle. It was them who headed this front and them who were killed, beaten and tortured overwhelmingly in that particular struggle. If you don't get that then, don't worry about it.

The Afghanis over threw the Russians but, it was the Americans who gave them weapons and logistics. So who won the war? If you ask anyone with common sense they will tell you it was the Afghani fighters with HELP from Americans. Jews were given weapons and logistics from the Americans during the mid east wars, did America win or was it the Jews?

So common on now, stop it.

*edit*

Let me address your other comment. Why isnt that most of the drugs and gangs in UK are Jamaicans? Why is it that in Jamaica the poverty level far out weighs those who have? Why are Jamaicans on the bottom rung of society in UK? I mean after all they are so smart and they struggled to get free from colonial rule, they should be smart enough to take advantage of what their forefathers faught for?

My parents told me about when they came to NYC (before I was born) Flatbush was a decent area (thats a place in Brooklyn). Then the Jamaicans came in and ran it down (thats their words not mine). But according to you all these Jamaican immigrants are the salt of the earth and take full advantage here right? Same thing in South Florida where I live, some of the worst areas are majority Jamaicans, why is that?

Let me answer that for you, I have been many places and mingled with people from all over the earth. During my time on God's earth I realize one thing, people are people. Those with better economic conditions are going to have more access to better education, better jobs and so forth and so on. Those worse off will not have the same level of educational standards nor the same access to good jobs and so on and so on. Same is true for Jamaica, Nigeria, Lebonan and U.K.. You are probably young and have not traveled much and if you have traveled you have not spent much time observing your surrounding. There are tons of African Americans who are well off and have taken advantage of opportunities, heck I can take you to Harlem, Brooklyn, Atlanta and Chicago. In those places you will find Black areas that are extremely affluent and pre dominantly African American. Bill Cosby spoke about low income blacks but his rant wasn't well received because he addressed effects with out speaking about causes and not offering up any solutions. What sense is that? I hear people say "Africa is this and that' and to them I say so what. Either do something about it or shut up and this is my mentality on Cosby.

You go to France and you see Africans and Arabs on the bottom rung of society and they are selling drugs, joining gangs and doing all other sorts of stuff. Why is that? Because they have not been afforded the same opportunities as the rest of the country. You go to Australia and its the Lebanese and UK the Jamaicans and South Asians.

Oh and the statement you made that blacks in America have had everything handed to them is absolutely silly. There were tons of blacks who were beaten, hung from trees, imprisoned and so forth and so on for the rights minorities in America now have so you need to wake up from that dream you are in. You have acknowledged the civil rights movement and in doing so you should be able to deduce one thing. If things were handed out to African American then there would never have existed or been a need for the civil rights movement.

Last edited by Wild Style; 02-19-2008 at 09:38 AM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-19-2008, 01:43 PM
 
384 posts, read 1,644,441 times
Reputation: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Cracks me up when foreigners, especially black foreigners come to America and look down on African Americans. If it was not for African Americans and civil rights movement, these same foreigners would not have ANY of the opportunities they have now, period. That includes Italians, Jews, Latinos and just about any other non WASP group. Anyone from NYC should ask their parents or grand parents what store signs used to say for help wanted back in the days "Blacks, Italians and Jews need not apply". True story, so I think people coming here need to pull their head out of the dirt and show a bit more respect.

People also need to realize, not everyone in a entire race is bad or crime prone. You put ANYONE in a economic and socially disadvantaged situation and they will react poorly, generally speaking. Go to UK and you will see the south asians are the ones committing a lot of crime. You go to Australia and its the Lebanese, France Arabs and Africans heck even poor whites in southern and western states do robberies, run meth labs and do all other sorts of crazy ish. No race is perfect or immune.
Wild Style,
Do give my intelligence some credit. Of course I knew you weren't African American for many reasons. First of all, your usage of the word "Innit" is definitely NOT an American phrase, but rather widely used by British as a variation of Americans usage of "aint it". Secondly, you have mentioned that your African relatives in England had some rather negative views of Jamaicans...so again that told me that you were NOT African American; however due to the fact that you seemed to have not considered yourself to be a foreigner along with your motto beneath your name you seem to have separated yourself from being a foregner yourself. Nevertheless, my recollection of my dispute with you was to also inform you that OTHER RACES NOT ONLY BLACK AMERICANS were also involved in the fight for equality. Though you may try to deny my actual dispute with you, the messages are still posted as a back up to what I have originally disputed.

Regardless of the fact, as I can see from many of your stated opinions, you are what you are which is someone who has little regard for black foreigners even if you are one yourself.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-19-2008, 02:13 PM
 
384 posts, read 1,644,441 times
Reputation: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Hmmm, maybe you need to keep better company because most black Americans I know don't blame whites for their failures and many do take advantage of the opportunities offered to them. This is the exact attitude that Wildstyle was talking about. Thanks for failing to disappoint.
My friends my dear has nothing to do with my point of view; my point of view is based on my experiences along with comments I have heard passed on. Especially by those who don't happen to know that I am not born of this country. Keep in mind people say one thing in front of your face and another thing behind your back so you may not always hear what one is really saying. Despite of that, if most black Americans are actually taking advantage of the opportunites being offered to them here, why are they the highest majority the lives below or within the poverty level in this country? Why is illiteracy still so high amongst blacks, why even though we are not the majority are more African Americans on welfare (are these the opportunities they are taking advantage of)? Sure I could go on and on with the questions and the information that my research has produced, but your friends are of the few that choose to do something with themselves. Do I look down on African Americans? No I don't I look down on those who choose to do nothing with their lives...INCLUDING those who come here from another country and try to live off the system, but I will state the fact as I see them and as they are produced by statistical analysis. Am I prejudice against African Americans? No I'm just an equal opportunity hater of losers who choose to do nothing with their lives as well as those who feel that the struggles that blacks went through in this country was theirs alone. Had this question been posed about white Americans, Jewish Americans, Asian Americans and foriegners who are non achievers my reaction and response would have been the same.



Historical Poverty Tables (http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/poverty/histpov/hstpov2.html - broken link)

Facts about African Americans in the Food Stamp Program, 4/19/07
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.



All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top