Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 05:41 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,487,999 times

Advertisements

I am going to explain myself:

My question is about jobs all around the world, some jobs are very well considered, and some jobs much less unfortunately, we can see that in the incomes for example, but not always... some jobs are not socially "welcome" but they have good incomes.

My question is: what jobs are considered to have good reputation and prestigious in you country?
Which ones are not? the ones that almost nobody want to do, or the ones that are supposed to be for "less intelligent people" (mostly by prejuices)

For example in Spain:

Socially...

Good considered: Lawers, doctors, ingenieers, notary, aviation commander, flight attendant, etc. There people also have usually good salaries.

Bad considered:

-Hairdressers (hard and difficult job but really underpaid unfortunately)
-Street Sweepers, nobody are suppose to wish this job but not bad salary at all.
-Primary Teachers (or kindergarten): everyone says this job is easy and for people who can't study something "better" but the reality is the salary is quite good and not easy to study and to be a good one.
-Artist and musicians: This is not a good country for them, lack of opportunities.
-Supermarket worker.

Any other come to my mind now. I have always defended freedom about choosing a job, I hate when someone thinks this person is better or deserves more respect because he/sheworks as a X and this person deserves less because he/she is whatever.

Going to university here is very overrated as well.

Another question: who has the best and the worst salaries where you live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 05:49 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
good

1. Pilots.
2. Doctors.
3. Nurses.
4. Professors.
5. Solicitor.
6. Baristor.

bad

1. Bin man.
2. Roads.
3. Hairdresser.
4. Supermarket clerk.
5. Bus driver.
6. Taxi driver.
7. Flight attendants.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:52 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Best
Banker
Accountant
Lawyer/Barrister
Judge
Doctor
Solicitor
Politician
Headteacher/principal - well paying, good pension
Policeman - well paying, good pension, little skills required
Plumber/electrician - well paying

Worst
Bin man
Supermarket worker/clerk
Factory worker (such as manufacturing cars)
Hairdresser
Construction worker - notoriously unreliable and a declining sector at the moment

Mixed
Artist - an art degree won't go far and the pay will probably suck unless you strike big and become the next Van Gogh, but there are lots of opportunities in cities like London and Manchester.
Musician - hard to break into, but if you can do it anywhere, it's the UK, especially if you go on a reality show.

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 06-19-2013 at 06:06 AM..

Old 06-19-2013, 07:21 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times
What's wrong with being a bin man? Hard graph, decent wage. And what is bad about working in a car factory?

Old 06-19-2013, 07:47 AM

Doesn't seem like an enjoyable job to me - putting rubbish into a truck. Personally I'd want to make much more of my life than something like that, but yeah it appears they earn more than I envisaged. It kind of makes you think - what is the point of working hard at Uni when you can become a bin man, earn that much without having so much as a decent qualification to your name? And only working 24 hours a week. Seems like a joke to me, but public sector workers do have a reputation for having cushy jobs for little work.. anyway it appears their wages have been slashed.

As for working in a car factory - not well-paying at all. The areas with the highest concentration of such industries are the poorest in the UK - that is not a coincidence. In fact, it might be causation - they have not adapted to the modern industries that we see today such as finance. I'm not saying this is a good thing, it's just the way it is.

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 06-19-2013 at 07:56 AM..

Old 06-19-2013, 07:57 AM

3,678 posts, read 7,216,052 times
Umm i am pretty sure its the same everywhere....

Old 06-19-2013, 08:45 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
According to a survey done by a tabloid a few years ago. These are the 10 most and least appreciated jobs. They don't reflect salaries, difficulty etc. The results were a bit funny and this survey was clearly biased...

Best:
1. Doctor
2. Nurse
3. Janitor ()
4. Farmer ()
5. Teacher
6. Engineer (uni grade)
7. Pilot (captain)
8. Professional sportsman ()
9. Police Commissioner
10. Midwife

Worst:
1. Telemarketer
2. Member of Parliament ()
3. Door-to-door salesman
4. Model
5. Traffic Warden
6. Minister/Secretary of State ()
7. Monk/Nun
8. Police Commissioner ()
9. TV show host
10. Bingo host ()

Another survey placed Surgeon as the best, and adding fireman, CEO and professor on the most valued. On the bottom stock broker and party secretary was added. Stevedore was the profession that lost most reputation, and Pharmacist gained the most.
Housewife was not included, but if it was a profession, it would probably rank between prostitute and drug dealer.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:48 AM

So people who work hard all week are not entitled to a decent wage because they never went to uni?

Old 06-19-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
So people who work hard all week are not entitled to a decent wage because they never went to uni?
Why are you putting words into my mouth? Everyone deserves a decent wage, regardless of what you do or your educational background.. but people who work few hours (relatively speaking) and get paid over £30,000, and having no qualifications or very few, should not get paid more than highly-qualified people who can work from 40 hours to week up to 60, and up to their eyes in debt having gone to Uni, under the belief it will secure them a well-paying job. Yes, binmen are essential, but please - the job is not hard. It might require physical strength but that is it.

Again, all people should get a decent wage, but such a salary is rather obscene for such an easy job and so few hours, especially when the average wage is around £25k. They earn more than nurses - and their jobs are MUCH harder and more demanding then being a binman.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:03 AM

Emptying bins for hours a day from 5am 5 times a week deserves a wage of around 20,000. They are more to the job than emptying bins anyway. They don't just take it from your house straight to a landfill. I doubt they get £600 a week as you have stated. If they do even I think that's to much lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World