Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 06:29 AM

7 posts, read 8,757 times

Advertisements

Sorry if this topic has been posted before but I was wondering if anyone here feels they don't really relate to or connect with their native country/society?

I don't mean the government necessarily but more the (stereotypical) state of mind of your country or the values the people hold.

I honestly want nothing to do with my nationality as I feel the country is one just frozen in time and seriously in denial about it. I'm also genuinely embarassed when asked where I am from as I don't want generalisations made of me that I really don't have anything in common with; even on these forums I notice the odd side jab at my country and it's just frustrating when you don't have "x" or "y" trait at all!

Does that make any sense? I'm really curious as to whether anyone feels similarly?

Last edited by LaLuchadora; 02-05-2015 at 06:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 06:59 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
No, just disappointment.

Personally, I have absolutely no nationalistic sense that my country is any better or more worthy than any other country. As nations rise and fall, my nation is just like the rest, and should rise and fall according to its people's own demonstrated principles and virtues.

I am not bound to do anything that would benefit the people of my country over diligent and honorable people of a different nationality.

Last edited by jtur88; 02-05-2015 at 07:10 AM..

Old 02-05-2015, 08:20 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
I don't feel a strong dislike or hatred for the US at all, but I'm not a flag-waving super-patriot, either.

Growing up and spending most of my life in the US, I've met far, far too many good people and had way too many wonderful and amazing experiences to "dislike it." That said, I've also been on the receiving end of a lot of its dysfunction, be it social, economic, political, or otherwise. All the same that my experiences indemnify me from "hating" it, they also indemnify me from giving it a free pass.

When I meet people who have that sense of intense dislike or hatred for their home country, I have a hard time taking them too seriously; many of them desire to leave, but haven't yet gotten out. I'm always interested to see how their opinions change after they leave.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:20 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,435,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
No, just disappointment.
I agree. Mostly disappointment and complaints, or headaches.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:33 AM

27,549 posts, read 28,630,498 times
There are some aspects about America that I dislike - such as inner city crime, trashy ghettos and things like that.

But overall, I think America has made great strides over the last few decades to improve its urban areas and become a better country. And it continues to move in a positive direction in many other ways, such as opening up to other countries and even learning a thing or two from them. These are all good things.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:35 AM

26,874 posts, read 38,004,819 times
I don't dislike or hate Canada but some (many?) Canadians can be very smug about their country so I sometimes like to take them down a notch and bring them back to reality.

I often get accused of being anti-Canadian or (egads! ) a Quebec separatist (woooh ) because of this, but it's not true in either case.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:47 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLuchadora View Post
Sorry if this topic has been posted before but I was wondering if anyone here feels they don't really relate to or connect with their native country/society?

I don't mean the government necessarily but more the (stereotypical) state of mind of your country or the values the people hold.

I honestly want nothing to do with my nationality as I feel the country is one just frozen in time and seriously in denial about it. I'm also genuinely embarassed when asked where I am from as I don't want generalisations made of me that I really don't have anything in common with; even on these forums I notice the odd side jab at my country and it's just frustrating when you don't have "x" or "y" trait at all!

Does that make any sense? I'm really curious as to whether anyone feels similarly?
I completely understand how you feel. I don't hate my Native country, but I definitely feel frustrated at times with the lack of progress and peoples negative and conformist attitudes. It can be embarrassing at times.

As far as people taking jabs at your country, all I can say about that is, don't let other people make you feel bad. It really doesn't matter what other people say and it doesn't matter if you don't have "x" or "y" trait you will always be where your from and you can't change that. I don't know where your from but in my experience the people that criticize or look down on my native country the most are usually from troubled countries themselves, They might better off economically but they still have much trouble within their own societies.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:17 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,449,963 times
How can I not be ashamed of current Russia?

Old 02-05-2015, 11:00 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,379,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I don't feel a strong dislike or hatred for the US at all, but I'm not a flag-waving super-patriot, either.

Growing up and spending most of my life in the US, I've met far, far too many good people and had way too many wonderful and amazing experiences to "dislike it." That said, I've also been on the receiving end of a lot of its dysfunction, be it social, economic, political, or otherwise. All the same that my experiences indemnify me from "hating" it, they also indemnify me from giving it a free pass.

When I meet people who have that sense of intense dislike or hatred for their home country, I have a hard time taking them too seriously; many of them desire to leave, but haven't yet gotten out. I'm always interested to see how their opinions change after they leave.
I am almost one of those but not quite. I do not hate my country. I often feel as if I should have been born in another one though. From all the years I worked with people from other countries, I always relate to them better. Now I know if I go live elsewhere, I will then see the shortcomings the new country has as no country is perfect. I guess it depends on whch you are willing to put up with.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:02 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,379,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
There are some aspects about America that I dislike - such as inner city crime, trashy ghettos and things like that.

But overall, I think America has made great strides over the last few decades to improve its urban areas and become a better country. And it continues to move in a positive direction in many other ways, such as opening up to other countries and even learning a thing or two from them. These are all good things.
You really think we've learned from other countries? To me it almost seems as though when we find out that country X does such and such, then we reject it because it's not the "American way". I don't know, maybe I've overlooked something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World