Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 11:08 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,791,114 times

Advertisements

I'm so glad to be American (from South America)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 01:50 PM

182 posts, read 165,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
I give up.

People here really want to believe that the Boers of South Africa are not African, even if all of their great-grandparents were born in Africa, and if they call their language "Afrikaans"...

The stupidity of "jus sanguinis" is incredible....

What does ''jus sanguinis'' mean in English?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Jus sanguinis is the only thing that makes sense. What difference does it make where you were born? What matters is blood, and that's why so many countries recognize the principle of jus sanguinis. You are still a member of the tribe because of blood. For example, membership in a Native American tribe usually requires Native American blood. It doesn't matter where you were born.
Blood is the most important factor of identity. Why are African-Americans called AFRICAN-Americans? Why are Irish Americans called IRISH Americans and so on? Blood and their ingrained cultural influences running through that bloodline.

Old 12-09-2015, 04:00 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,432,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enlightened one View Post
What does ''jus sanguinis'' mean in English?
Blood-right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enlightened one View Post
Blood is the most important factor of identity. Why are African-Americans called AFRICAN-Americans? Why are Irish Americans called IRISH Americans and so on? Blood and their ingrained cultural influences running through that bloodline.
I completely agree. I'd also add that blood ties can be thought of in the same way as familial ties. It is like an extended family.

Old 12-09-2015, 08:36 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,928,100 times
Quote:
Blood-right.

I completely agree. I'd also add that blood ties can be thought of in the same way as familial ties. It is like an extended family.
I agree with you, Even though I was born in the US and have never stepped foot in Russia, I feel a stronger connection to a Russian person I've never met, than my next door neighbor. When I speak to a Russian it's almost as if he/she is part of my family, and we have an instant connection, maybe it's more of an immigrant thing but I feel a very strong connection to Russia, it's people, and culture.

Old 12-10-2015, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
I agree with you, Even though I was born in the US and have never stepped foot in Russia, I feel a stronger connection to a Russian person I've never met, than my next door neighbor. When I speak to a Russian it's almost as if he/she is part of my family, and we have an instant connection, maybe it's more of an immigrant thing but I feel a very strong connection to Russia, it's people, and culture.
Ditto for me, but with Ukraine and Ukrainians.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:30 AM

182 posts, read 165,480 times
Quote:
Blood-right.

It is a extended family in a way. When I meet a Black / African Caribbean person I feel a instant connection with them its as if we are cousins.

Quote:
Its a Human thing.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Ditto for me, but with Ukraine and Ukrainians.
Well for me Ukrainians also apply, My family is from eastern Ukraine/Crimea. But since I don't speak Ukrainian it's not as strong of a connection as to a Russian. But either way to me Russians, Ukrainians, and Belarussians are part of the same disfunctional family. Also I feel a strong connection to any russophone from the former Soviet Union.

Old 12-10-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Well for me Ukrainians also apply, My family is from eastern Ukraine/Crimea. But since I don't speak Ukrainian it's not as strong of a connection as to a Russian. But either way to me Russians, Ukrainians, and Belarussians are part of the same disfunctional family. Also I feel a strong connection to any russophone from the former Soviet Union.
Are they ethnic Russians? My Ukrainian ancestors are from Lviv and Poltava. Still, there is a great degree of relatedness. I think of all Slavs like an extended family. But Ukrainians are closest for me.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Are they ethnic Russians? My Ukrainian ancestors are from Lviv and Poltava. Still, there is a great degree of relatedness. I think of all Slavs like an extended family. But Ukrainians are closest for me.
We don't really know exactly the actual ratio, but we are mix. My paternal grandma is from Zhytomyr Oblast, my paternal grandpa is from Crimea (he speaks Russian but has Ukrainian last name, Алещенко. My maternal grandpa is from Irkutsk Oblast and he has a Russian last name, Бондар). I don't know where my Maternal Grandma is from exactly, but she is ethnically Ukrainian and I think she is from the Donbas region, because my Mom was born in Luhansk Oblast, but she has siblings who were born in Krasnodar Krai as well. I have other relatives from Kiev and Volgagrad. My Dad was born in Crimea and can speak both Ukrainian and Russian fluently, but his Russian is better. My Mom can speak Ukrainian but very poorly. Both my parents consider them selves to be Russian, and when I would ever bring up the subject they would just tell me to say Russian.

Old 12-10-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
We don't really know exactly the actual ratio, but we are mix. My paternal grandma is from Zhytomyr Oblast, my paternal grandpa is from Crimea (he speaks Russian but has Ukrainian last name, Алещенко. My maternal grandpa is from Irkutsk Oblast and he has a Russian last name, Бондар). I don't know where my Maternal Grandma is from exactly, but she is ethnically Ukrainian and I think she is from the Donbas region, because my Mom was born in Luhansk Oblast, but she has siblings who were born in Krasnodar Krai as well. I have other relatives from Kiev and Volgagrad. My Dad was born in Crimea and can speak both Ukrainian and Russian fluently, but his Russian is better. My Mom can speak Ukrainian but very poorly. Both my parents consider them selves to be Russian, and when I would ever bring up the subject they would just tell me to say Russian.
Yes, your background does seem quite Russian, and self-identity certainly reflects that. I know no one in my family would ever consider themself Russian. In fact, to call us Russian (or to say Ukrainians are just Russians) would be an insult. No offense, of course; nothing wrong with Russians, but the Ukrainian identity is definitely distinct. In cases where one has both Ukrainian and Russian ancestry, it probably makes sense most of the time for that person to identify with the ancestry that one has more of, or can at least relate to better due to cultural ties. Even if the mix is 50/50 or something like that, I would imagine there would be one side a person is more drawn to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World