Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 12:26 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Not a skier then? It has stunning scenery I believe (never been :-()
Nope, and tbh I would prefer to vacation somewhere warmer. My current climate is an ice box and whenever I go on vacation it's usually somewhere with warm weather
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 04:59 PM

210 posts, read 200,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Israel has religious fanaticism? I mean, Israel is rather liberal for Middle Eastern standards. Tel Aviv has even been called the "Middle Eastern gay capital". Maybe you meant Palestine?
Israel is a Theocracy, religion rules a great deal of the country's matters. In fact it's not uncommon to have it referred to as the "Jewish State".

Old 04-06-2017, 03:19 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,024,118 times
Off the scuff - Israel and Saudi.

Old 04-06-2017, 07:31 AM

22 posts, read 46,489 times
How about places you visited and Never want to go back?

Mine is Karachi Pakistan. Never Never again!

And places you went thinking it was going to be horrible but turned out great.

Muscat Oman. Best chicken sandwich, People friendly and the best looking women in skimpy 1 piece bathing suit at the hotel pool...blew my mind.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:12 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirric View Post
How about places you visited and Never want to go back?

Mine is Karachi Pakistan. Never Never again!

And places you went thinking it was going to be horrible but turned out great.

Muscat Oman. Best chicken sandwich, People friendly and the best looking women in skimpy 1 piece bathing suit at the hotel pool...blew my mind.
Honduras, just too much crime and not enough tourist infrastructure. Even in comparison to other Latin American countries Honduras is still extremely dangerous. Its murder rate is 16x more than in Chile, 8x more than Peru, 11x more than Ecuador, 4x more than Mexico, and even 2.5x higher than Colombia or Brazil. That says all you need to know about the safety situation in Honduras, and scarily enough the neighboring El Salvador is even worse

Old 04-06-2017, 11:25 AM

470 posts, read 214,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayVanderbilt View Post
Any islamic country + India + North Korea + Most of Africa (except maybe Ghana).
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Sounds about right. Pretty much ditto for me, except for me ... replace Ghana with South Africa.
Because there's more European looking people in South Africa?

Old 04-06-2017, 05:58 PM

3,326 posts, read 2,620,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by africa12 View Post
Because there's more European looking people in South Africa?
No, because South Africa looks like a really nice place and a wealthy place in many locations.

The people who mention the HIV prevalence in South Africa don't count that most of this HIV prevalence happens in just a few regions, the least developed ones...

And as long as you will not have unprotected relations with a stranger you will be safe for the HIV lol...

For example I've seen lots of places in SA where it resembles 100% like the richer neighborhoods of Hollywood, or from Venice Beach, or like Coral Gables... Or really lovely towns and small cities which look 100% north american with european influence and european old buildings and churches. Or Kaapstad is really lovely (Cape Town for non Dutch/Afrikaans speakers)

I would visit/never visit:

Any african country unless South Africa, Morocco, Tunisia, the north coast of Argelia or Egypt. I would also visit Mayotte, Maurice, Reunion or Seychelles. And maybe Madagascar, Namibia, Bostwana and Kenya.

From the middle east I would like to see Israel, Lebanon, Turkey, Bahrein, Dubai and Qatar. Btw those last ones are too small and they haven't got nothing much to see unless skyscrapers. The people talks about Israel but Israel is a pretty safe country, it's liberal, a full democracy, it's fully developed and Tel Aviv as some others said is the "gay capital of the east". This is not something of my incumbency but I just say it to let know how liberal is that country. It's a secular country too... Syria has beautiful parts to visit too but it's a pity what is happening there. 10 years ago I would liked to visit Syria.

From Asia I would only visit Georgia, Armenia, Kazakhstan, Mongolia (their landscapes are awesome), Bhutan, Thailand, South Korea, Taiwan, Malaysia and Singapore. AND JAPAN OF COURSE!!!

From Oceania pretty much anywhere unless Papua New Guinea. I love small islands so I would like a lot to see Fiji, Vanuatu, Tuvalu, etc

And from America... of course I would visit anywhere in the US or Canada. I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole any country from central America unless Costa Rica and Panamá, Mexico can be beautiful but it's too dangerous. Maybe I can give a chance to Baja California. I know Monterrey is safe but it's nothing interesting to see there. In the Caribbean islands region the things are different, I really want to see Aruba which is a Dutch Caribbean Island, or any other european or north american territory in the Caribbean. I would visit Bahamas, Cuba, Turks and Caicos, Virgin Islands, Caiman Islands... and all of the islands from the south of Puerto Rico to Trinidad and Tobago, including obviously Aruba and Curaçao as the 1st options. Not even thinking about putting a step on Haiti, Dom. Republic and Puerto Rico.

Jamaica calls me but it's too unsafe by now. If the things go better... maybe in the future. And from South America... Suriname, French Guyana, a few Brazilian places, Uruguay, Argentina and Chile.

From Europe I would visit any country unless the east of Moldova (Transnistria), maybe Belarus and maybe Albania. All of the other places are ok to me.

A bit of off topic:

Algiers in Argelia is a really nice looking city. It reminds me of Lyon in France... many buildings have very similar architecture to the one you could find in major French cities.

And the north of the country is pretty beautiful. The people mentiones Morocco but Algeria is pretty underrated, I think it's even more "liberal" than Morocco. And the country itself is richer too.

Last edited by ase42dv; 04-06-2017 at 07:12 PM.. Reason: Forgot to mention Japan!

Old 04-06-2017, 06:31 PM

470 posts, read 214,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junter View Post
No, because South Africa looks like a really nice place and a wealthy place in many locations.

The people who mention the HIV prevalence in South Africa don't count that most of this HIV prevalence happens in just a few regions, the least developed ones...

And as long as you will not have unprotected relations with a stranger you will be safe for the HIV lol...

For example I've seen lots of places in SA where it resembles 100% like the richer neighborhoods of Hollywood, or from Venice Beach, or like Coral Gables... Or really lovely towns and small cities which look 100% north american with european influence and european old buildings and churches. Or Kaapstad is really lovely (Cape Town for non Dutch/Afrikaans speakers)

I would visit/never visit:

Any african country unless South Africa, Morocco, Tunisia, the north coast of Argelia or Egypt. I would also visit Mayotte, Maurice, Reunion or Seychelles. And maybe Madagascar, Namibia, Bostwana and Kenya.

From the middle east I would like to see Israel, Lebanon, Turkey, Bahrein, Dubai and Qatar. Btw those last ones are too small and they haven't got nothing much to see unless skyscrapers. The people talks about Israel but Israel is a pretty safe country, it's liberal, a full democracy, it's fully developed and Tel Aviv as some others said is the "gay capital of the east". This is not something of my incumbency but I just say it to let know how liberal is that country. It's a secular country too... Syria has beautiful parts to visit too but it's a pity what is happening there. 10 years ago I would liked to visit Syria.

From Asia I would only visit Georgia, Armenia, Kazakhstan, Mongolia (their landscapes are awesome), Bhutan, Thailand, South Korea, Taiwan, Malaysia and Singapore.

From Oceania pretty much anywhere unless Papua New Guinea. I love small islands so I would like a lot to see Fiji, Vanuatu, Tuvalu, etc

And from America... of course I would visit anywhere in the US or Canada. I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole any country from central America unless Costa Rica and Panamá, Mexico can be beautiful but it's too dangerous. Maybe I can give a chance to Baja California. I know Monterrey is safe but it's nothing interesting to see there. In the Caribbean islands region the things are different, I really want to see Aruba which is a Dutch Caribbean Island, or any other european or north american territory in the Caribbean. I would visit Bahamas, Cuba, Turks and Caicos, Virgin Islands, Caiman Islands... and all of the islands from the south of Puerto Rico to Trinidad and Tobago, including obviously Aruba and Curaçao as the 1st options. Not even thinking about putting a step on Haiti, Dom. Republic and Puerto Rico.

Jamaica calls me but it's too unsafe by now. If the things go better... maybe in the future. And from South America... Suriname, French Guyana, a few Brazilian places, Uruguay, Argentina and Chile.

From Europe I would visit any country unless the east of Moldova (Transnistria), maybe Belarus and maybe Albania. All of the other places are ok to me.

A bit of off topic:

Algiers in Argelia is a really nice looking city. It reminds me of Lyon in France... many buildings have very similar architecture to the one you could find in major French cities.

And the north of the country is pretty beautiful. The people mentiones Morocco but Algeria is pretty underrated, I think it's even more "liberal" than Morocco. And the country itself is richer too.

And what's wrong with countries like Tanzania, Mozambique, Zambia etc?
South Africa has got a high HIV prevalence, no excuses. The same above can be said for every other country^. Botswana's is just as high .

I find it astonishing people would never visit my country (Ethiopia), but then again I don't blame them, after all the media feeds everyone garbage. I've seen more crime outside of my country than in it.

If it's just richness that attracts you to a country, then Africa isn't for you I guess. Wealth equates to artificial beauty lol.

Old 04-06-2017, 07:00 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,035,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junter View Post
From Asia I would only visit Georgia, Armenia, Kazakhstan, Mongolia (their landscapes are awesome), Bhutan, Thailand, South Korea, Taiwan, Malaysia and Singapore.
Why wouldn't you visit Japan

Old 04-06-2017, 07:11 PM

3,326 posts, read 2,620,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Why wouldn't you visit Japan
I forgot to mention it

it's a shame my favorite car is japanese

Quote:
Originally Posted by africa12 View Post
And what's wrong with countries like Tanzania, Mozambique, Zambia etc?
South Africa has got a high HIV prevalence, no excuses. The same above can be said for every other country^. Botswana's is just as high .

I find it astonishing people would never visit my country (Ethiopia), but then again I don't blame them, after all the media feeds everyone garbage. I've seen more crime outside of my country than in it.

If it's just richness that attracts you to a country, then Africa isn't for you I guess. Wealth equates to artificial beauty lol.
Those countries don't call me. Mozambique? No thanks. A country with an AK-47 in their flag lol... that gives me very low trust.

No excuses not, I did say that a HIV prevalence doesn't affect you when you visit a country unless if you expect to have unprotected relationships with strangers. And it's true that the majority of that prevalence affects just a few regions. For example afrikaaners (white south africans) have a prevalence of AIDS of 0.3%, that's a lower percentage than in many european countries.

And that's not a reason for me like I said before, South Africa is marvelous in many places and seems like a north american or european country in many places, that's why I like it most.

Last edited by ase42dv; 04-06-2017 at 07:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World