Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 04:23 PM

263 posts, read 234,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I do find the question have you ever been arrested a bit strange, as arrest is different to conviction and you are innocent until proven guilty. I realise they mean serious offences and use the term

On visa applications I remember they used to post questions such as have you ever been a terrorist, member of a Communist party, planned to overthrow US government or commited Nazi war crimes.

Last edited by nwman2830; 02-12-2017 at 04:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 04:32 PM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwman2830 View Post
On visa applications I remember they used to post questions such as if have you ever been a terrorist, member of a Communist party, planned to overthrow US government or commited Nazi war crimes.
ROFL

What are they expecting you to say, it's a fair cop, you got me, I am a Commie planning to overthrow the US Government.

Old 02-12-2017, 04:32 PM

One more thing which I heard in news is that CBP might ask about providing your social media information such as Facebook or Twitter but it is optional.

Recently SNL, captured the political climate of admissions to the US perfectly in this hilarious video:
https://youtu.be/wbIXmB2ZLmA

"You will be required to eat hot dogs in front of us" cracked me up.

Old 02-12-2017, 04:40 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,979,497 times
Yes I heard that on the BBC news. They will not be getting my information.

Old 02-12-2017, 05:02 PM

Actually the US tourist visa fee is $160, previously I provided $140.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:36 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,726,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
ROFL

What are they expecting you to say, it's a fair cop, you got me, I am a Commie planning to overthrow the US Government.
That's just how they do it over there. "Are you a habitual drunkard or a prostitute?" are questions posed when getting citizenship.

Old 02-12-2017, 11:07 PM

51 posts, read 53,442 times
The US Visa Waiver Program does not include Macau and Hong Kong, both have higher GDP per capita than Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Portgual, Spain, Slovenia, Czech Republic, Slovakia, the Baltic states, Italy and Greece etc.

The reason is clear. Macau and Hong Kong belong to China, which is a developing country and are not indepedent countries.

Actually it doesn't matter as most people in Macau and Hong Kong are not interested in visiting the US because of too much bad news and the US is far away. People are not interested in moving to US too as Macau and Hong Kong are wealthy cities. However HK people are allowed visa free visit to nearby Guam and Northern Marianas, both US territories. Visiting Europe, Australia and New Zealand are more popular, they are more welcoming of tourists from East Asia and the depreciation of Euro has attracted increasing tourism.

Old 02-12-2017, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmodeb View Post
The US Visa Waiver Program does not include Macau and Hong Kong, both have higher GDP per capita than Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Portgual, Spain, Slovenia, Czech Republic, Slovakia, the Baltic states, Italy and Greece etc.

The reason is clear. Macau and Hong Kong belong to China, which is a developing country and are not indepedent countries.

Actually it doesn't matter as most people in Macau and Hong Kong are not interested in visiting the US because of too much bad news and the US is far away. People are not interested in moving to US too as Macau and Hong Kong are wealthy cities. However HK people are allowed visa free visit to nearby Guam and Northern Marianas, both US territories. Visiting Europe, Australia and New Zealand are more popular, they are more welcoming of tourists from East Asia and the depreciation of Euro has attracted increasing tourism.
I spot sometimes Japanese tourist men in black suits in San Francisco Bay Area. There is also a lot of Chinese tourists around Palo Alto, Stanford campus. They may be not visiting Chicago or New York as much but West Coast definitely.

Old 02-13-2017, 01:06 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,759 times
Quote:
I spot sometimes Japanese tourist men in black suits in San Francisco Bay Area. There is also a lot of Chinese tourists around Palo Alto, Stanford campus. They may be not visiting Chicago or New York as much but West Coast definitely.
Frankly, I don't see many young Hongkongers abstaining from the US because of bad news. I assume that the number of arrivals from Hong Kong are pretty much in line with other countries.

That said, I totally believe that Hongkongers are more likely to go to nearby countries. In the end, long-distance flights are pretty significant investment. That, plus pricey hotels and the fact that a lot of people don't get more than 10 days off.

Old 02-13-2017, 01:18 AM

3,147 posts, read 1,979,497 times
Quote:
There are Chinese tourists all over the world these days. It's no big deal to see them, they're all abundantly wealthy so a tourist visa is nothing to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World