Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 12:27 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,564,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
I don't think there actually were any dentists back then as we know them. Most people had no teeth by the time they were 30 (why do you think nobody ever smiles in old paintings/photos?). There were no antibiotics of course (that didn't arrive till WW2) and people routinely died from what today would be considered trivial diseases. No indoor plumbing. No concept of hygiene whatsoever. And life expectancy was about 40. So yeah... life was real swell back then. But all of this of course pales next to the most important deprivation:

Depends on what you consider " back then " . Certainly in the 1800's Dentists were plentiful with most advertising " painless Dentistry " . Of course, the techniques would seem primitive today. The rich even got new teeth put in from the dead. I know, gross.

Heck even the Egyptians did dental work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 02:54 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,015,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Depends on what you consider " back then " . Certainly in the 1800's Dentists were plentiful with most advertising " painless Dentistry " . Of course, the techniques would seem primitive today. The rich even got new teeth put in from the dead. I know, gross.

Heck even the Egyptians did dental work.
One would have had to be a complete necrophilic to be so desperate for new teeth back then!!!

Old 04-13-2017, 01:58 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,972,199 times
How about Cape Town?

I've never been there but it is really really high on my bucket list for places that I want to see (preferably sooner than later). I think it is quite possibly the most dynamic city on the African continent, though admittedly I am not entirely sure about that. Surely it has a wonderful combination of topography and climate, very well built city, and a very unique culture to it. Seems like a great city for those that enjoy being outdoors and those into sports. Probably as diverse, if not more diverse, than any other city in Africa. Looks to have a stellar rapport for entertainment scene and shopping as well.

Anyone ever been there? Feel free to chime in. Would imagine a city with those qualities and standing out that much on the continent it is on, would likely have to be a contender for this topic. Right?

Old 04-13-2017, 01:58 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,287,874 times
The world's most perfect city will always be the one I don't live in

Old 05-03-2017, 10:52 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 11 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,923,623 times
There aren’t any to this exact question. Standards of “perfect” aren’t universally objective. Varying on people’s own emotional landscape, or what they want from a city. After living in New York City more than 20 years of my life, I always am enthusiastic to leave for a fresh change of scenery. Extremely grateful to have travels around 14 countries up to 25 years old. Observing those types of New Yorkers rarely leaving their own backyard, these people’s entire lives infinitely improve more when they have this freedom to visit lots of other cities all over this World.

My experience of Stockholm, Prague, Milan, Turin, Genoa, Innsbruck, Vienna, Bratislava, Bucharest, Constanta, Doha, Cancun, San Jose, Paris, Nice, Montreal, Vancouver, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, Seattle, Portland, Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston, Washington DC are always equal to what I have in NYC my hometown. Hopefully, I am able travel this summer or New York City won’t feel very glamorous, maybe even overly limiting.

Other cities with a solid even distribution of perfection on my international travels radar are Seoul, Taipei, Tokyo, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Hanoi, Saigon, Bangkok, Phuket, Hoi An, Georgetown Penang, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Jakarta, Dubai, Baku, Tbilisi, Batumi, Brasov, Cluj Napoca, Sibiu, Timisoara, Wroclaw, Gdansk, Krakow, Trieste, Rome, Naples, Zagreb, Lyon, Grenoble, Lille, Brussels, Amsterdam, Munich, Dresden, Leipzig, Copenhagen, Riga, Lisbon, Oporto, Barcelona, Ibiza, Madrid, Valencia, San Sebastian, Seville, Montpellier, Toulouse, Marseille, Chamonix, Geneva, Zurich, Berlin, London, Oslo, Bergen, Budapest, Oradea, Arad, Rijeka, Dubrovnik, Saint Petersburg, Graz, Linz, Moscow, Helsinki, Sochi, Buenos Aires, Santiago, Sao Paulo, Mexico City, Merida, Lima, Abu Dhabi, Almaty, Astana, Manama, Kuwait City, Harbin, Nara, Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Kyoto, Busan, Kaohsiung, Taichung, Guangzhou.

Old 05-03-2017, 11:27 AM

1,049 posts, read 961,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
I take you never lived there. There is a very good reason they call it Hell de Janeiro. Public transportation is terrible, people will try to take advantage of you all the time, red tape everywhere, dirty streets, very violent( you are alway minutes away from a favela), very humid and intense heat, polluted beaches, very sprawling, you better stay in the neighborhood you live otherwise it takes forever to cross the city...probably the most overrated city in the world.
The public transportation is terrible? You can't be for real. It's much better than many American cities. You can get almost anywhere by bus or metro in a fairly short amount of time. I agree it's not the cleanest place in the world though.

Old 05-14-2017, 02:30 PM

50 posts, read 44,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
How about Cape Town?

I've never been there but it is really really high on my bucket list for places that I want to see (preferably sooner than later). I think it is quite possibly the most dynamic city on the African continent, though admittedly I am not entirely sure about that. Surely it has a wonderful combination of topography and climate, very well built city, and a very unique culture to it. Seems like a great city for those that enjoy being outdoors and those into sports. Probably as diverse, if not more diverse, than any other city in Africa. Looks to have a stellar rapport for entertainment scene and shopping as well.

Anyone ever been there? Feel free to chime in. Would imagine a city with those qualities and standing out that much on the continent it is on, would likely have to be a contender for this topic. Right?
Cape Town is still the best city in the world for me. Amazing culture, bar/restaurant/sports scene with amazing food, most welcoming locals, amazing weather, so may incredible attractions, and breathtaking views everywhere. It has an upscale, classy feel with English and Dutch influence. Such a hospitable city with the best of everything. Simply unbeatable. How do I know?.... because no matter where in the world I travel to, I always land up comparing it to Cape Town.

Other strong contenders: Melbourne, Sydney, London, Barcelona, Monte Carlo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World